Weapon Of Choice...

Guest Butters

live fibre 7' 15-24kg.... Nice rodFor bream fishing 20lb braid on a 4-8kg rodfor whiting fishing 20lb braid on a 4-8kg rodfor squid fishing 20lb braid on a 4-8kg rodfor salmon fishing 20lb braid on a 4-8kg rodfor snook fishing 20lb braid on a 4-8kg rodfor mullet fishing 20lb braid on a 4-8kg rodand also snapper fishing 50lb braid on a 10-15kg rodshark fishing 50lb braid on a 10-15kg rodtuna fishing 50lb braid on a 10-15kg rodTrout fishing 50lb braid on a 10-15kg rod100lb handlines for squid4-8kg rod usually tica graphite extreme or daiwa pro caster10-15kg penn sports, abu morrum braid, live fibreReels normally daiwa kastor, samurai, penn applause around 2500ohead pflueger 15l ever drag 12kg+ dragSurf reel shimano spheros 5000 or pflueger lithium

Sharks: Okuma T50W Titus loaded with about 750 meters of 50lb mono on a Penn Sports 15-24kg short stroker.Salmon: My trusty Jarvis Walker National K-Mart combo consisting of a 8 foot glass-tip rod and some plastic reel loaded with 12lb mono pulling about 500g of drag. (trust me! its wicked!)Mullys/Snapper/Eagel Rays/ Smooth Rays/general beach fishing: Shimano TLD 25, spooled with close to 500m of 40 lb mono. I alternate bewteen rods depending on jetty/beach etc... For the Jetties/Boats etc, I have it on a Penn Mariner 24-37kg rod and for the beach I use it on a 10ft Backbone Surfie.Bream/Salmon trout/Flathead/Whiting: Daiwa Exceler spooled with 1kg braid and this reel sits on a 2-4kg SicStikPro which was picked up at a bargin price!!Blue Whales: TOKU TAW500 Winch fitted with 7 harpoons for each whale...

• 2 weeks later...
Snapper/Jewies - calcutta 400b, sabre 197/6, 30lb tufflinebream/salmon trout etc - some shimano 6'6" little eggy combo with 6lb firelineKings/sharks- tyrnos 30, tyrnos medium game stickHave a heap of rods from eggys to baitcaster, surf rods etc etc, but mainly concentrate on these i guess.My favourite is a rod of around 7' 4-6kg with 10lb fireline which i love using in the surf.
  • 3 weeks later...

*kings i use a custom sabre stroker. matched with a penn inter 12. 15kg line*mullies-big snapper, i use a custom cjb60xf sabre grafast 10kg rod, matched with a penn inter975ld 10kg line.*deep water bottom bouncing i use a seeker s glass extreem series 660 15kg live bait-jig blank from america. matched with penn inter 975bc. 50lbs braid.*small snaps etc sabre 1966 matched with shimano baitrunner 4500. 6kg line.*whiting i use a daiwa procyon with kaster reel 2500.*beach. custom 540 12foot sabre 15kg. penn spinfisher 9500. 15kg line. they are my top 6 {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif got another probally 10 rods and 7 or 8 reels

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brent61southoz

general heavy,sharks,rays; diawa sealine 450h (25yrs old) 30lb mono on 8ft custom madesurf; heavyokuma stinson 80i with 25lb technium on an 8 ft rod or the jarvis walker 12ft rodsurf ;light-mediumgenerally my 5000baitrunner 10-15lb mono on diawa rodlures;hardbody and sp'sshimano raider and sahara 2500fb with 1.8kg mojiko monoormy custom rod with 2500 baitrunner and 3kg hercules braidheavy lures; 10ft daiwa rod with 6000baitrunner and 20lb braidand a total of 26 rods and lots of various reelsbm61

Guest Butters

i spose i should stop being lazy and put a few of mine up..here is the latest added to my collection yesterday..nexave 6-10kg/ pflueger lithium 5000.and then some other snapper setups.. the trusty ol' 7000 and salist 30... size=423http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/2hCK6f41__rods.JPG[/img] size=461http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/3EJWV5v9__new.JPG[/img]

Guest xtrafishyfish

My weapon of choice would be a decent handline, whether it be for whiting, snapper or squid but unfortunatley a handline isn't always practical so I just use a few general run of the mill type rods... strudwick, ugly stick and a few shimano rods from K-Mart. My preference in a snapper setup would be an alvey sidecaster as the drag required is applied by the palm of your hand on the capstan and using this method you can actually feel how much drag is needed at a certain time during the hookup and play :wink:

I have a new addition:A Penn senator 10/0 filled with around 1 km of 80 lb mono, on a 37 kg Melton Stand up custom rod. This is for anything bigger than your 'average 10ft bronzie'

good luck holding that up for a long fight. i guess ill be seeing you at the gym tomorrow :lol:
Guest addict

I have a new addition:A Penn senator 10/0 filled with around 1 km of 80 lb mono, on a 37 kg Melton Stand up custom rod. This is for anything bigger than your 'average 10ft bronzie'

good luck holding that up for a long fight. i guess ill be seeing you at the gym tomorrow :lol:
:shock: :lol::lol::lol:
Guest addict

My weapon of choice would be a decent handline, whether it be for whiting, snapper or squid but unfortunatley a handline isn't always practical so I just use a few general run of the mill type rods... strudwick, ugly stick and a few shimano rods from K-Mart. My preference in a snapper setup would be an alvey sidecaster as the drag required is applied by the palm of your hand on the capstan and using this method you can actually feel how much drag is needed at a certain time during the hookup and play :wink:

andrew your startingf to show your age those old alveys are tuff and catch just as much as any other reel but id only use one as an ashtray :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Guest xtrafishyfish

Adon, ya not one of those closet alveysexuals are you :roll: Butters there's nothing more exhilirating than trying to slow down a big snapper on an alvey, it's you doing all the work and not a u-beaut reel (with a silky smooth drag system where you just keep winding) trying to slow down the fish and getting it to the boat {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

You can use 37kg stand up, but you will be able to fight half as long as you could on 50lb tackle. This 10/0 I got has more drag than an International 50VS...My mate has two and we tied the lines together, he wound about 20 metres onto his inter and then we locked them up and pulled... he couldn't get an inch of line from me and i was just pumping and winding with realative ease while he was being thrown off balance. I guess it is a different story if you have a 14 foot white heading for the horizon like a bat out of hell....Oops! did I say white? I mean't bronzie....... {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

Adon, ya not one of those closet alveysexuals are you :roll: Butters there's nothing more exhilirating than trying to slow down a big snapper on an alvey, it's you doing all the work and not a u-beaut reel (with a silky smooth drag system where you just keep winding) trying to slow down the fish and getting it to the boat {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

I'll have to agree with that the alveys are good, and that the idea of doing all the drag yourself sounds fun. But I'd have to stick with my TD Sol's and TD Teirra's. Nothing wrong with stoping a big Mullie on a Sol 3000 or a big Bream on a Tierra 1500.[i:17f8ific]-CheersJames[/i:17f8ific]
Guest addict

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ok smiley ill admit it the alvey comes out at night when im fishing alone {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My Dave Yates special [Yatesy] a lot of half decent gear went into this little beauty {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif Yatesy knows how to make a sexy rod that performs as well ... {SMILIES_PATH}/kiss.gifA Turn around versionMully and trolling special,,,love it to death {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

when first asked if I wanted this style I had no idea either now Im a changed man..what it does is it helps reduce the torque on the rod and reel when battling big fish . Some other benefits from this design are rod stability, reduced line friction, line never comes in contact with the blank, and a increase in sensitivity. I like the idea it has been around for about 75 years believe it or not, originally called a Roberts Wrap...Hope this helps you out search roberts wrap and more will come up on the subject {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifI love mine and wouldn't part with it its my mully and cod/callop trolling setup..USA blank with a lot of balls and a nice taper...

Yatesy has built rods for a long time and knows what he is doing also ,,no line touch anywhere and thanks for your supportive comments. BTW I dont cast with my turnover it is my troll or straight down stick maybe a short cast with a livie but thats about it. Not many can setup a roberts properly[i have heard] that why they shy away you have to have had experience with them, David Yates [Yatsey] has done a hell of a lot Ill pass on the message to him to make sure he has setup the guides properly....He actually calls them a turnover so I should call it by its name....I love the Rod and I am the customer so I am very very happy with what I had made.Like I said a year ago I had no idea what he was on about now I love the style, I guess people would really have to try one out for themselves and see if they like them.

This year and last hasn't seen me out much for the big stuff as I injured my spine at work 2 years ago ,,it has not been christened with a big mulloway yet only schoolies and callop so far.I will be doing a few night sessions with livies soon to catch and christen her properly, dope up on painkillers and get amongst them.

Hey Mully i like the rod. The spiral definately appeals to me. I knew Shimano had brought out a couple, But i didn't realise that rod builders were builing them too. Don't know yatesy personally but i know he builds nice rods. And yours is a nice looking rod and i'd love one in my shed.