Do fish feel pain?

Here's a subject that's been discussed many times, which even the experts can't agree on!Some say "NO", fish cannot feel pain in a manner in which us mammals recognise it, as their nervous system and cerebral cortex are not sufficiently developed, and instead, the fish merely "respond" to external stimuli. Don't take MY word for it though, coz that was the result found by James D Rose, a professor of zoology and physiology at the University of Wyoming, who has been working on questions of neurology for almost 30 years. He has published his report in the American journal "Reviews of Fisheries Science" stating "Anglers rest easy. Fish cannot feel pain, the largest study into piscine neurology has concluded"http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/ ... 83181.htmlThen in the other corner, we have equally qualified professionals, a team of researchers from the Roslin Institute and the University of Edinburgh, headed by Dr Lynne Sneddon, who's report is published in "U.K. Royal Society?s Proceedings" claiming that "fish had receptors in their heads called polymodal nociceptors, which respond to tissue-damaging stimuli. The fish also showed "adverse behavioural and physiological changes" when they were subjected to noxious substances."This fulfils the criteria for animal pain,"http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s844965.htmOur own Dr Karl Kruzelnis.........Dr Karl cruisel.........Dr Karl Kruisin.........DR KARL! has stated that "Most of us have the vague impression that cold-blooded creatures, such as fish, don't feel any pain. This belief has been around for a long time. Only in the last few years have we probably proved that some fish do feel pain."http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1733327.htmTalk to any animal liberationist who's trying to prevent us angling, and you'll hear how fish most certainly DO feel pain, and angling is a barbaric act which must be stopped at all costs! "Fishing means intense pain and stress for millions of fish every year. Fish are treated in ways which would cause an outrage if cute, furry creatures were involved - but fish suffer just as much." http://www.animal-lib.org.au/subjects/s ... ishing.htmNow if experts can't agree, I know I'm sure as hell not smart enough to prove this one way or the other, so I can only read what's available, speculate, and make my own decision as to which way I lean, based on research performed by others.I'm just sittin at home bored on a cold and wet Monday, so I thought I'd throw this question out once again, just to get YOUR thoughts and views on it, based on what you understand about fish physiology, and the information you've been provided over the years!Have a read through the links I've provided, and even check out the research reports, then let me know what YOU think!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definately ANTI-peta and everything they stand for. Face it though, one group of experts "says" YES, another says NO, so I don't think that provides ammunition either way! More of a balance I'd say.I'm just interested to hear what us as a group of "uneducated anglers" believe, based on "the information provided to us."Oh, and Tom, do ya want mung beans, kidney beans, green beans, soya beans, butter beans, baked beans, lima beans, ....................................! It seems a shame to let this Topside steak go to waste though! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

Geez mate, talk about opening a can of worms.. ::):P ;)Personally, I think yes and no.. ;) I don't think hooks do them much harm - unless they are jagged in the eyeball or in the guts - but I think leaving them to die out of the water causes them more pain than anything else. Euthanising (sp?) them is more humane than when I see cowboys on Browns for example, with piles of salmon flapping about wildly oin the dunes behind them. >:( A quick snap of the neck or a spike thru the scone is better I reckon, and I ain't no tree huggin' greenie! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Releasing fish back into the water, saltwater, will soon fix up any cuts or holes as a result of fighting against their (temporary) captor. Dunno about freshwater... ???So what about blueys?? ??? They lose claws in battle and grow them back.. Do THEY feel pain?? I just know don't feel their pain when I'm munging out on 'em.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifLet's face it, anything an angler could do to a fish is nothing compared to transporting cattle and stock in trucks, crammed in like sardines.. ::){SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" />Cheers,Wino

I cant really add to this discussion except to say that my other 1/2 has worked in research labs, and I've asked her about the testing for a pain response from fish.My information was that it's simply too hard to do, coz theyre such wiggly little buggers !Personally I suspect they do feel pain, after all they do have a nervous system, so I try and despatch them reasonably quickly, though this can be difficult during a hot bite {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif.Cheers aff

Geez mate, talk about opening a can of worms.. ::):P ;)Personally, I think yes and no.. ;) I don't think hooks do them much harm - unless they are jagged in the eyeball or in the guts - but I think leaving them to die out of the water causes them more pain than anything else. Euthanising (sp?) them is more humane than when I see cowboys on Browns for example, with piles of salmon flapping about wildly oin the dunes behind them. >:( A quick snap of the neck or a spike thru the scone is better I reckon, and I ain't no tree huggin' greenie! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Releasing fish back into the water, saltwater, will soon fix up any cuts or holes as a result of fighting against their (temporary) captor. Dunno about freshwater... ???So what about blueys?? ??? They lose claws in battle and grow them back.. Do THEY feel pain?? I just know don't feel their pain when I'm munging out on 'em.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifLet's face it, anything an angler could do to a fish is nothing compared to transporting cattle and stock in trucks, crammed in like sardines.. ::){SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" />Cheers,Wino

Why did ya sign off as Wino, Goat Herder???Don't go reading more into the question than what is actually there! This is only about pain! It's NOT about fishing, or humane methods of dispatching, or how we should be treating our catch, etc. Not about whether angling is percieved as a humane sport or not, and it's not about how we should act as anglers.Interesting question you posed yaself about the blueys! They regularly lose claws, withoput our interference, so does this cause them pain or not? Simple yes or no answer. Nothing to do with catching, killing or treatment of crabs, only pain!

I'm not real keen on a can of beansand I definitely don't like a can of wormsbut I have been known to be partial to the odd can of Tuna or red salmon at times.Now to answer Ranger's question, do fish feel pain? Nah! I don't think so; I've never heard one scream. ;){SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Some say "NO", fish cannot feel pain in a manner in which us mammals recognise it, as their nervous system and cerebral cortex are not sufficiently developed, and instead, the fish merely "respond" to external stimuli.

I thought that kind of Descartesian madness masquerading as science disappeared in the Enlightenment. Apply Occam's razor to the question and anybody who's seen the difference in how a gut hooked fish fights or watched someone fillet a living fish knows without any doubt that fish feel pain. BTW I like PITA {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

While there is no way I could fight a grown man who was pulling on a rope attached to a 10/0 through my gob, I still think Fish feel [i:gdvxuzeq]something![/i:gdvxuzeq]Where i would pass out, I think the fish thinks "ouch" something it definitely not right! After all fish tend to fight against the angler, pain must be responsible, to suggest fish fight because they dont want to get caught is granting them way too much cognitive ability.We hurt them with hooks, so they pull on the line! It cant be overwhelming pain or they'd just give up, but its gotta be pain none the less.I hate thinking too much about this!If ANYONE REALLY THINKS THEY FEEL NO PAIN, PLEASE ATTEMPT TO EXPLAIN WHY FISH FIGHT AGAINST ANGLERS. THINK! (and remember they are not very intelligent) ps. Im not suggesting this is a problem, we all live with pain of varying degrees!

Re-watching one of the Fishing DVD episodes the other night, one of the presenters (Shannon Watson, by memory..) reckoned that Australian Salmon tailwalk and thrash about trying to shake trebles because they think that the lure is a fish lodged in their gob/throat.. I have my doubts, but it's an interesting theory nonetheless.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers,Wino

If ANYONE REALLY THINKS THEY FEEL NO PAIN, PLEASE ATTEMPT TO EXPLAIN WHY FISH FIGHT AGAINST ANGLERS. THINK! (and remember they are not very intelligent) ps. Im not suggesting this is a problem, we all live with pain of varying degrees!

I'll give it a go Yak :) Just for shits and giggles {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifHave you ever tried to pick up a dog, or any animal for that matter which doesn't want to be held?Well the outcome is that they'll simply squirm and try to wriggle their way out, or at worst, just piss bolt and climb a tree or something and make it impossible for you to catch them.Now i'm not saying fish don't feel pain, cause frankly i wouldn't have clue. But how about the thought that fish fight back because of the resistance in their mouth? I notice ( apart from a few species ) that most hooked fish fight away or sideways from the angler...It definately wouldn't be a natural sensation for them so they react the same way any living creature does when it becomes annoyed and probably very frightened...P.S...i voted yes ;D {SMILIES_PATH}/smiley.gif

Why did ya sign off as Wino, Goat Herder???Don't go reading more into the question than what is actually there! This is only about pain! It's NOT about fishing, or humane methods of dispatching, or how we should be treating our catch, etc. Not about whether angling is percieved as a humane sport or not, and it's not about how we should act as anglers.Interesting question you posed yaself about the blueys! They regularly lose claws, withoput our interference, so does this cause them pain or not? Simple yes or no answer. Nothing to do with catching, killing or treatment of crabs, only pain!

{SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif Coupla points to address here.. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifa) Wino? Coz that is I. That is my actual nickname. That is who ppl know me as. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif Why 'Goat Herder' then? Coz I can! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifB) You asked about pain? I [i:32ioh24h]personally[/i:32ioh24h] believe that a fish sucking in copious amounts of oxygen and other gases in our atmosphere cause more pain to them than the actual 'catching' of them, therefore I personally find it relevant to point out how to minimise their pain - in my [i:32ioh24h]personal[/i:32ioh24h] opinion. You, of all ppl, can surely appreciate expressing one's own [i:32ioh24h]personal[/i:32ioh24h] opinions on what we [i:32ioh24h]personally[/i:32ioh24h] find is relevant to the topic of discussion.. {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifCheers,Mark/Wino/Goat Herder {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

B) You asked about pain? I [i:3pa7nggp]personally[/i:3pa7nggp] believe that a fish sucking in copious amounts of oxygen and other gases in our atmosphere cause more pain to them than the actual 'catching' of them, therefore I personally find it relevant to point out how to minimise their pain - in my [i:3pa7nggp]personal[/i:3pa7nggp] opinion. You, of all ppl, can surely appreciate expressing one's own [i:3pa7nggp]personal[/i:3pa7nggp] opinions on what we [i:3pa7nggp]personally[/i:3pa7nggp] find is relevant to the topic of discussion.

WinoI agree with you. Dying like that must be truly awful?death by slooow suffocation must induce fear, panic and pain. I always kill a keeper as soon as it's in the boat?hot bite or not?I'd rather miss a fish than leave a keeper flapping around in the bottom of the boat. I don't rely on the iced slurry method to dispatch fish as I'm not sure it's humane. I use a priest, iki jimi spike or break their neck.The Japanese reckon fish taste better if they are is dispatched as soon as they are out of the water (iki jimi) so the fish and I both benefit by delivering a quick death.I also kill squid as soon as they are in the boat for the same reasons.

I also kill squid as soon as they are in the boat for the same reasons.

Ditto Venkovich! A friend of mine showed me how to despatch them straight away and they don't dispel their ink afterwards too, for those who don't want a buckey/esky full of ink.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Just a quick squeeze between the eyes and the tube and when they turn opaque very quickly, you have snuffed out their living existence.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifCheers,Wino

I always despatch all my fish/crabs by putting them into an ice slurry not because of any humane reason just because i like them in top condition and bouncing around in a tub or ice blocks doesn't cut it IMO.Crabs don,t throw their claws and fish are stone dead on about 60 secs.As to whether they feel pain,not in the same way as you or me and particularly I believe their mouths are (desensitised?)to pain to allow them to hunt their food,would you be able to eat a feed of barnicles off a post or crush up and swallow a blue crab also there are those instances where you can catch the same fish just after its been caught before.No doubt many of you could give plenty of other examples where instinct has overridden any pain felt.I believe that they would still feel pain of some degree though like being exposed to heat or air or being hooked in the body etc and that is why a humane death should always be an important consideration. cheers brenton

B) You asked about pain? I [i:3tc7zml3]personally[/i:3tc7zml3] believe that a fish sucking in copious amounts of oxygen and other gases in our atmosphere cause more pain to them than the actual 'catching' of them, therefore I personally find it relevant to point out how to minimise their pain - in my [i:3tc7zml3]personal[/i:3tc7zml3] opinion. You, of all ppl, can surely appreciate expressing one's own [i:3tc7zml3]personal[/i:3tc7zml3] opinions on what we [i:3tc7zml3]personally[/i:3tc7zml3] find is relevant to the topic of discussion.. {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

GH, as you're aware, I have no problems with anyone discussion their opinions, I had a plan with my line of questioning here though.I wanted to avoid discussing angling at all, and solely concentrate on the question of a fish's capability to feel pain "at this stage", to see if we had any sort of concesus on the subject. Then "later" I wanted to lead on the effect of angling and if pain is caused by angling or if only "distress" is caused by angling. Our views on pain itself would have decided whether to then discuss "pain" caused by angling, or "distress" caused by angling.Then I had intended to move on even further, to methods we employ as anglers, to reduce either pain, or distress and/or suffering, and treating them humanely. Where we could THEN discuss hooks, fighting fish, handling them, removing them from water, dispatching them, etc, etc, one step at a time.So, after reaching a concensus on pain, my second question was to be directed at HOOKING fish. Do we believe a hook through a fishes mouth causes increased pain, or just distress? What methods do we employ to reduce this? ie: correct size hooks to reduce the chance of gut hooking. Circle hooks to guarantee a hook-up in the corner of the mouth. sharp hooks to penetrate freely and easily. etc, etc.Then we could move on to handling our catch, and whether we catch and release or kill our catch, and methods to reduce pain/distress during these processes.I was also careful in the wording of my question, so as not to include "angling" in the question. I asked "Do fish feel pain?" not, "Does angling cause pain in fish?".Seems I may have now blown it though, by not being specific enough in my initial question on pain!So no, I wasn't being critical of your view, I was just trying to slow you down, so that you didn't start getting ahead of me. It seems EVERYONE is now trying to discuss "pain caused by angling" though, and that wasn't my intention here, as I simply wanted to discuss "pain" to start with, without "angling" being brought into the equasion at all...........YET.In my own personal opinion, yep I recon fish DO feel pain. That's all I wanted at this stage, a simple yes or no answer, and possibly a reason why yous all hold that belief. ie: I think fish feel pain coz I believe all animals with a brain and a central nervous system have the capacity to feel pain.Likewise, it seems the vast majority of us also believe YES, a fish can feel pain!We've now inadvertantly moved on from that question though, and are instead discussing ice slurries, removing fish from water, fishing fish with hook and line, dispatching fish, etc, etc, so in regards to "pain caused by angling", I don't think there's too many pain receptors around their mouth/lip area, as that area doesn't have much in the way of soft tissue or blood supply, so they may not feel "very much at all" from that area. Hence, I don't believe hooking fish causes them any great pain, but instead causes them "distress".I have no proof of this though, just an opinion.

For those of you like myself who believe YES, fish can feel pain, can you answer WHY fish aren't included in the 1972, Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act?

No. {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifIn relation to your pre-conceived idea of how you would've liked the discussion to have taken place, I think we'd all like to think that we minimise whatever pain fish do feel, therefore it is hard to keep such a contentious subject on one individual aspect of it without branching off into other relevant issues. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Sorry to spoil your plan mate.. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif For the record, my mouth (and typing fingers) are about the only things that move at a swift pace.. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif (no vulgar comments pls lads/ladies.. {SMILIES_PATH}/lipsrsealed.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif)Cheers,Wino

In relation to your pre-conceived idea of how you would've liked the discussion to have taken place, I think we'd all like to think that we minimise whatever pain fish do feel, therefore it is hard to keep such a contentious subject on one individual aspect of it without branching off into other relevant issues. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Sorry to spoil your plan mate.. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

I too believe we all do what we can to minimise pain, distress, suffering and to treat our catch humanely.That's why I was gonna run a "mini-series" here on these issues, where we could discuss each and every aspect in detail, beginning wiv the first in the series "Do fish feel pain?" moving though to:Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1972Fishermans code of conductdistress in fishHumane treatment of fish1) hooks 2) capture3) handling4) release5) dispatching your catchCatch & Release V Catch & KillEtc, etc, etcNow my plan is in a shambles, and I dont think you're really sorry at all! So I'm just gonna go and self-flagellate myself wiv a fast action 7' IM7 and force chemically sharpened long shanks through my nipples until divine intervention provides me with a new and enlightened topic for discussion! {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif

How dare you question the sincerity of my apology.. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

So I'm just gonna go and self-flagellate myself wiv a fast action 7' IM7 and force chemically sharpened long shanks through my nipples until divine intervention provides me with a new and enlightened topic for discussion! {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif

Thanks for that disturbing visual mate - especially just after lunch! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Where's the 'Report To Moderator' button again..?? {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers,WinoPS; Don't forget to crush the barbs.. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

How dare you question the sincerity of my apology.. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Well, I didnt REALLY question it! I just needed an excuse to treat myself to this sweet pain which constantly awakens my senses and reminds me that I'm alive! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifThese hooks give me an insight into the fishies perspective on things too! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

{SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif I can't ever recall hooking a fish in the nipple... {SMILIES_PATH}/lipsrsealed.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifBUT, I am impressed by your willingness to provide personal subject matter, and no doubt divulge any subsequent findings towards the discussion.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifCheers,Wino

We must all suffer for out sport! It's only the depth of suffering which is left to the discretion of the sportsman!I recall you recently suffering over wheel bearing issues! Maybe I'm just a little more committed than you! Then again, maybe I should BE committed! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

That's why I was gonna run a "mini-series" here on these issues, where we could discuss each and every aspect in detail, beginning wiv the first in the series "Do fish feel pain?" moving though to:Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1972Fishermans code of conductdistress in fishHumane treatment of fish1) hooks 2) capture3) handling4) release5) dispatching your catchCatch & Release V Catch & Kill

Although this is interesting and many of the above bullets are very serious points, I for one am glad that the MINI-SERIES has been abandoned! With such a divisive topic, no one will ever happy and I doubt it would be all that worthwhile; as i can just imagine the long disconnected series of rants it would become. While everyone is entitiled to discuss issues as they like, Perhaps i could suggest that big projects such as these be undertaken as 'WiKI ' Projects. That way you can be as indepth as you like and determine the approach of the discussion. Plus it easy to use evidence to back up claims, and enlighten us all!I agree that this post has got off topic, and to be fair to RANGER he started with a POLL which usually indicates limited or YES/NO answerbut this was always going to happen....its hard to steer discussion re: such an emotive and contencious issue, and most people just want to say how they minimise fish pain!Ps. on the subjectI THINK, YES FISH FEEL PAIN. BUT NOT IS NOT AS COMPLEX OR ADVANCED AS THE PAIN FELT BY HIGHER ORDER ORGANISMS LIKE US OR THEY WOULD NOT FIGHT SO WELL!

That's why I was gonna run a "mini-series" here on these issues, where we could discuss each and every aspect in detail, beginning wiv the first in the series "Do fish feel pain?" moving though to:Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1972Fishermans code of conductdistress in fishHumane treatment of fish1) hooks 2) capture3) handling4) release5) dispatching your catchCatch & Release V Catch & Kill

Although this is interesting and many of the above bullets are very serious points, I for one am glad that the MINI-SERIES has been abandoned!
Mills & Boon said the same thing to me! {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif

With such a divisive topic, no one will ever happy and I doubt it would be all that worthwhile; as i can just imagine the long disconnected series of rants it would become.

Actually, I thought the opposite. I thought that they were issues we COULD all agree on. ie: importance of an ice slurry or iki-jimi to kill a fish quickly and humanely to minimise pain/suffering, and also minimise the build-up of lactic-acid which taints the flesh! Or the importance of wetting your hands before handling a fish if you're a C&R fisherman! Or swiming a fish prior to release to oxygenate the blood and give them a better chance at survival! Or cutting off a gut hooked fish rather than trying to pull the hook free! Etc, etc, etc. All stuff we DO agree on (or SHOULD agree on), and also information I thought pretty important for newer anglers to learn!Regardless, I don't think we should ignore these topics for fear of it being "too hard" or divisive, coz this IS the important stuff pertaining to our chosen sport, and the stuff which seperates us as RESPONSIBLE anglers, from the rabble we need to set the example for!

While everyone is entitiled to discuss issues as they like, Perhaps i could suggest that big projects such as these be undertaken as 'WiKI ' Projects. That way you can be as indepth as you like and determine the approach of the discussion. Plus it easy to use evidence to back up claims, and enlighten us all!

Maybe a good point if I knew how to use this Wiki stuff! I'll try to work it out soon! Problem being though, if we can't even PROVE fish feel pain, it sorta makes everything else kinda irrelevant to even worry about! No pain=no problem! {SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif

I agree that this post has got off topic, and to be fair to RANGER he started with a POLL which usually indicates limited or YES/NO answerbut this was always going to happen....its hard to steer discussion re: such an emotive and contencious issue, and most people just want to say how they minimise fish pain!

No matter! Just going on the poll so far, it's becoming pretty evident that we are mostly in agreeance that we as rec fishermen BELIEVE fish DO feel pain, so I've actually already gotten my answer!Mebbe on reflection I should just start another topic "What steps do you take to minimise pain/distress/suffering?" That I fear would end up a very lengthy and disjointed topic though, and I recon it'd be more beneficial to discuss each seperate point individually in it's own individual topic, mebbe in the Wiki form you suggested if need be.

I THINK, YES FISH FEEL PAIN. BUT NOT IS NOT AS COMPLEX OR ADVANCED AS THE PAIN FELT BY HIGHER ORDER ORGANISMS LIKE US OR THEY WOULD NOT FIGHT SO WELL!

I tend to agree with this statement, and if we are correct, in that fish DO feel pain, WHY are they classed as an exempt species not covered by the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act? Let's face it, as things currently stand, ya can sit and carve ya initials into a live fish with ya favourite pocket knife or burn holes into it with a cigarette, and then release it, with a fisheries officer sitting there powerless to stop you, and with those actions being considered perfectly legal, and you being free from prosecution! {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gifSURELY if we believe fish have the capacity to feel pain of any kind, that just aint right! {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif
  • 4 weeks later...

We all know that fish have sensory perception, ie. smell. sight, vibration, temperature etc etc, & pain is really exceeding the comfort threshold of any of these senses ie. bright light, loud noises, hi/low temps can all cause pain in humans, that much we know, given that fish have a brain & nervous system I would expect that they probably do feel pain but from my experience I believe that there thresholds are higher in some areas & lower in others, probably lower in say temp & vibe/sound & higher in touch, which is a survival instinct & at the same time enables them to munch on thorny & hard crustaceans respectively. More food for thought!

Guest fishum

This may have something to do with it..Link:http://www.eftta.com/english/news_indep ... 2047259523SWISS GOVERNMENT TO BAN ?CATCH AND RELEASE? FISHINGCatch and Release fishing will be banned in Switzerland from next year, it was revealed this week.And anglers in the country will have to demonstrate their expertise by taking a course on humane methods of catching fish, under new legislation outlined by the Bundesrat - the Swiss Federal Parliament.The new legislation states that fish caught should be killed immediately following their capture, with a sharp blow to the head from a blunt instrument. Under the new regulations, the use of livebait and barbed hooks is also prohibited except in certain situations.The laws come into effect in 2009 but while the Swiss government does not mention Catch and Release specifically, it does say that "it is not permitted to go fishing with the 'intention' to release the fish."EFTTA lobbyist Jan Kappel has been in contact with Martin Peter, Vice President of the Swiss Angling Federation, to see whether a joint approach to the Swiss government could persuade them to amend the legislation - which forms part of a much wider animal welfare programme.The law on the protection of animals was passed by the Swiss parliament in 2005 and officials have spent three years refining the details, taking into account the comments of interested parties.Said Jan: "Catch and Release is one of the most difficult issues we have to deal with, and one of the most important in my opinion.?The new Swiss law doesn't make use of the term 'Catch and Release', which is the same as in Germany ? but I don't see how governments can enforce legislation which makes 'intent' illegal.?And demanding that people kill the fish they catch gives no thought to the conservation benefits from releasing them."Angling Codes of Conduct with regards to proper handling and releases can be found for practically any fish species caught by anglers in Switzerland and the rest of the world. The new Swiss law makes it obligatory for anglers to take lessons before being granted a fishing license. So there is absolutely no need for an outright ban on the release of fish in Switzerland.?It?s believed that the legislation could affect as many as 275,000 anglers in Switzerland, who generate around 30 million Euros in annual tackle sales.EFTTA acting president, Pierangelo Zanetta, said: "EFTTA does not believe that forcing anglers to kill their catches is either good for nature or for recreational sport fishing - which makes a significant financial contribution to the EU economy.?Making the killing of fish obligatory will simply reduce fish population and, at the same time, run the risk of having a negative impact on sport fishing."Anglers and the sport of angling invest time and money to improve water quality and create larger and healthier fish populations. We believe is it far better for the fish if the fisherman decides, according to the situation, whether to keep and eat the fish or to release it."