Do fish feel pain?

Russ wrote:

we should all do our best in ensuring that any fish caught should be dealt with as quickly and humanely as possible, be that released back to the water or dispatched for din dins.

If I can play devil's advocate for a moment Russ!What about those of us who fish for sport? We prefer to use light line rather than skulldrag, so we need to play the fish out to land it and then many times we release it again afterwards.Of course this makes the battle last longer, stresses the fish out more, tires them completely, and decreases their chance of survival after release.Does this now mean that we all have to become skulldraggers and the sport and enjoyment of the fight is gone?Will it mean an end to ANSA line classes?Will it jeapordise C&R fishing completely as a cruel and barbaric practice?
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we should all do our best in ensuring that any fish caught should be dealt with as quickly and humanely as possible, be that released back to the water or dispatched for din dins.This concept still applies what ever style of fishing we do, The comment is not against sport fishing. I don't condone Skulldragging either as that can be just as detrimental to the fish. It's not a targeted comment. I love my fishing and would actively encourage anyone to try it, I just dont think that it hurts to add some humanity to it. quickly and humanely is intended in the broarder spectrum ie as quickly and humanely to ensure the survival of the fish if not for tucker. still includes playing the fish to wear it down so it can be released and survive for the next time.

• 3 months later...