Before you jump on me and crucify me,innocently,I just want to ask,what is the attraction? :huh: I'm not "knocking you" as everyone here has their right to their own "style" and I respect that ;) .......I'm into heavy tackle,though not "overly successful" :( I enjoy it ........what draws you to bream?Having caught plenty in the Port during the late 70's and 80's on the old frozen prawn / whitebait etc,I don't see the joy.......As Pauline Hanson said "Please explain"......

Bream really come into their own on a combination of light gear and lures. The bigger they get, the smarter they get and the harder they become to catch, so catching a decent sized bream on a lure is about the satisfaction of fooling the fish with your techniques.Not only that but they are big fighters for their size and when using light gear like is often required for lure work they will really test your outfits.

I'm only just starting out and just getting into it but only land based for the time being.For me its the technical side, ie youve got to fish really light and chose the correct lure to fool the fish.There are so many options in lure choice and style on the market now. ....which means youve got to have a definate idea or plan as to what your going to purchase to capture these bream, or risk spending a small fortune on Bream Lures.... which I will no doubt end up doing anyway. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: These Lures themselves ARE JUST LIKE EYECANDY...you have to have the fish in mind and not buy the one that looks prettiest!!! :P:P The technique with regards to retrieval of the lure is also fascinating and hard to master. You also need a different retrieve if using plastics to what you use on a HB.Its all really good fun and crazy to master.Its like mastering KungFu. :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Johnny Rotten,I've caught thousands of bream myself over the years on bait just like you and also like you I wondered what the attraction was. My first bream on lure went 45.5cm and was dragged out of a forest of snags on 6lb braid and 6lb leader and that was it for me, I was hooked. I still fish for all the other species like Snapper, Mullies e.t.c. but I really enjoy a nice peaceful day in the kayak or the boat fishing some creek or flat chasing the spooky old bream. To me the challenge is trying to get myself a 50cm fish as that is the benchmark I have set myself. It's kind of like golf where all I'm trying to do is get a better result and improve my score against myself on each trip. I also spend a hell of alot of time flyfishing for bream which I find is kind of like handicapping yourself but I find the catch is far more rewarding to me when I score a decent fish on fly tackle. The rest of it is I'm always doing something when I'm fishing for bream on lures or flies, continually casting e.t.c. Some other forms of fishing all you do is chuck out a bait and sitback and wait for the rod to go off. Good fun for some but I have had too many years of doing that and now find it a bit boring but thats just me. Last but not least is some of the places bream are caught, I enjoy the peace and quiet of sometimes being in a spot where you don't see another person all day, unlike off the coast where you have the hassle of people trying to get that close to you that you feel they are nearly in your boat.So there you have it mate, I think it's all about what you want to get out of it and not what's all trendy at the time. I really think for me it's just relaxing and fun. Hope this answers your question.Tightlines whatever your after ;) .Cheers Darren

im a bit like you johnny rotten...i cant see the attraction in them.. but admittedly, ive not fished for them either. i also like the challenge of catching fish... thats why i fish the rocks, and like trying to drag a fish from tree branches,the rocks are very similar...just because someone hooks a fish, doesnt mean they will land it.im not one for boat fishing anymore...been there and did that..and it freaks me out knowing dads not behind the wheel where he should be, so i rarely go the boat. its the rocks for me, and i can understand the challenege the breamers are obsessed wth, but i like the big and heavy things to catch. my record for a rock snapper is 9kg, and the new target is a 10kg fish...havnt got it yet, but its coming...may take a few more years, but sooner or later,, im hoping to hook it, then the challenge of landing it will begin.

While I like the odd flick for brimbo I prefer flatees myself. However I regard both very similar in that their both caught on light gear and give you a good fight.Like any fish they require some experience. I dont know of anyone who can wander into the local tackle shop, buy the latest trend in lure, wander to a bit of blue, flick and BINGO! it just doesnt happen like that. Wheteher its mullys, bronzies or mullet its all about the hunt. We fish because we love the chase, the challenge, the study, the experience. Its relative. 20lb fish on 20lb line or 2lb fish on 2lb line, its the same thing. Personally I have no interest in eating snapper or mulloway but i love flathead and leather jacket. I make the most of catching either.I love a good trip to salties chasing mully or being on a boat over a shit load of old man snap, but i also love walking up and down a secluded beach on a beautiful autumn morning flicking for lizards and thinking " whats everyone else doing right now?"

" I dont know of anyone who can wander into the local tackle shop, buy the latest trend in lure, wander to a bit of blue, flick and BINGO! it just doesnt happen like that"Hehehe is this a bad time to point out that I brought a new rod, lure, went to the Onk (first time there) and caught 5 Bream within 1hour? I put a post up about it somewhere :P

Skudded wrote:

" I dont know of anyone who can wander into the local tackle shop, buy the latest trend in lure, wander to a bit of blue, flick and BINGO! it just doesnt happen like that"Hehehe is this a bad time to point out that I brought a new rod, lure, went to the Onk (first time there) and caught 5 Bream within 1hour? I put a post up about it somewhere :P

:laugh::laugh::laugh: ahhhhh crap.....ok it happens now and then

It's the challenge..... very hard to tempt a wise 40+cm fish :) It's the feel of a large bream peeling off 4lb briad.... and it's just FUN B) I am addicted to lure fishing and bream.... getting mulloway as by catch is another bonus to it... And it's a nice feeling to release a big bream and watch it swim away B) Sambo

Guest shagging
samboman wrote:

It's the challenge..... very hard to tempt a wise 40+cm fish :) It's the feel of a large bream peeling off 4lb briad.... and it's just FUN B) I am addicted to lure fishing and bream.... getting mulloway as by catch is another bonus to it... And it's a nice feeling to release a big bream and watch it swim away B) Sambo

yeah im with you mate! i used too go too st kilda very early wack on some blood worm and fish for bream while waiting for sun up too walk down the channel for st's i must have released hundreds and on 2 pound line its great fun! you gotta realy play em all the way! :):)
Johnny Rotten wrote:

what draws you to bream?Having caught plenty in the Port during the late 70's and 80's on the old frozen prawn / whitebait etc,I don't see the joy.......As Pauline Hanson said "Please explain"......

having caught plenty of bream on bait as well (used to be for a feed) for me switching to bream was part of learning. When I started getting into fishing forums and learnt the age of these bream I was catching and killing I had a new felt respect.The more I read I learnt about finesse gear, lures, plastics, braid, leaders, line....the list goes on. It certainly seemd to be a different world then just drowning a bit of bait on a $20 cheapie combo.As my fishing developed and my gear was upgraded I started getting into lures. to go out and buy a $25 lure, whack it on $50 + braid, specific leaders, won't (mention the cost of the combo) it just seemed to be a bit more of an art than sitting on my ass waiting for a bite on any old rig. The lure has action yes, but to impart your own touch and tactics was something else. Then to have the confidence to take that expensive new shiny lure and throw it into snaggy areas all part of the charm. The challenge has certainly taken over for me. Everytime I throw a lure in the water, I feel it has a chance of being slammed and that drag goes singing into action. The excitment of surface action is something else as well that you just don't get with bait. Lures you can fish top to bottom, bump through snags, rocks, reefs etc and and just seriously have some fun with them.Some species you catch on lure just don't put up much of a fight. Bream on the other hand can seriously pull hard and play dirty when they want. Thbis is where the apeal of the light gear comes into it. You always have fun reeling a fish in but measure the fun of pulling in a 1kg bream on 10kg line versus 1-2kg line. Huge difference !!It's hooked me in and I will never go back to fishing for many species with bait. The reward and joy of lures outweights shear numbers 10/1 in my eyes.Any way... my2cents... :P

About 20 years or so ago a mate and I used to fish a lot for bream and mullies on lures with reasonable success.The trick for us was that many of the larger specimens used to really hug the snags. B4 the days of fluro carbon the leviathon specimens would not accept anything above 4lb line. But with 4 lb line u couldnt remove them from their haunts, here lied the challenge. If it gives u joy and gives u a reason to get out and active, terrific, good onya for getting out and participating as apposed to knockin those that do.