how good are gps? ( car)

well...bought myself a gps for the car... cheapy at 99 bucks from cheap as chips. hahaha... but i can put gps cordinates into it, so it may be handy out on the boat.so i thought i would try it out in the car. went down town, and typed in my home address....and off i went.its a pretty straight drive, but the stupid thing tells me to turn off the straight road, to the left, then tells me to turn right, ending up onto the same road i just friggen left. :dry: all good from then on, but after a right turn at a round about, it sends me past the turn for my house, and carries on for 600mtrs... then turn left, and destination reached... cept, WHERE I AM, THERE ISNT ANY HOUSES ON THAT SIDE OF THE ROAD...JUST BUSHLAND, and im 700mtrs from home... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: gotta laugh though....just how good are these gps systems?ive borrowed my brothers tom tom the last time i went to adelaide, and that was also out, but only by 50 mtrs...is there some kind of safety margin built in to stop some clown from strapping one to a guided missle perhaps?

rocknev wrote:

well...bought myself a gps for the car... cheapy at 99 bucks from cheap as chips. is there some kind of safety margin built in to stop some clown from strapping one to a guided missile

Possibly is one if ya pay more than 99 bux for it :dry: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: cant see it working on the boat Nev, unless you whyallerites have taken up painting the seas surface :huh::blink:
Guest shagging
rocknev wrote:

well...bought myself a gps for the car... cheapy at 99 bucks from cheap as chips. hahaha... but i can put gps cordinates into it, so it may be handy out on the boat.so i thought i would try it out in the car. went down town, and typed in my home address....and off i went.its a pretty straight drive, but the stupid thing tells me to turn off the straight road, to the left, then tells me to turn right, ending up onto the same road i just friggen left. :dry: all good from then on, but after a right turn at a round about, it sends me past the turn for my house, and carries on for 600mtrs... then turn left, and destination reached... cept, WHERE I AM, THERE ISNT ANY HOUSES ON THAT SIDE OF THE ROAD...JUST BUSHLAND, and im 700mtrs from home... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: gotta laugh though....just how good are these gps systems?ive borrowed my brothers tom tom the last time i went to adelaide, and that was also out, but only by 50 mtrs...is there some kind of safety margin built in to stop some clown from strapping one to a guided missle perhaps?

lmao nev! i have one and its accurate within 30 to 50 metres! :)
afishyfish wrote:

rocknev wrote:

well...bought myself a gps for the car... cheapy at 99 bucks from cheap as chips. is there some kind of safety margin built in to stop some clown from strapping one to a guided missile

Possibly is one if ya pay more than 99 bux for it :dry: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: cant see it working on the boat Nev, unless you whyallerites have taken up painting the seas surface :huh::blink:
but i can type in the cordinates.... hahaha...havnt tried it yet, but i might and see what it does on a known drop i can get offf the net.hahaha...next time im going to type in my favorite rock destination, and see where i end up...who knows, i just might find a a NEW fave spot.... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: either that or put the kettle on fishy fish... who knows where i will end up.
rocknev wrote:

..next time im going to type in my favorite rock destination, and see where i end up who knows, i just might find a a NEW fave spot....

Maybe wear your swimming cozzie just in case :unsure: :silly: :laugh: How long is that rod of yours Nev anyway ? Is it hollow and able to be used as a breathing tube ?Anytime you're in Town, let me know ;)
rocknev wrote:

well...bought myself a gps for the car... cheapy at 99 bucks from cheap as chips. hahaha...but after a right turn at a round about, it sends me past the turn for my house, and carries on for 600mtrs... then turn left, and destination reached... cept, WHERE I AM, THERE ISNT ANY HOUSES ON THAT SIDE OF THE ROAD...JUST BUSHLAND, and im 700mtrs from home... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

tell you what my tom tom (not cheap either) got me to my sisters door step in queensland well over 2000 km away without any hassels ,,, think you also have to know how to use it,,, but having said that it dident know where point lowly was reason might be no ones corrected it saying theres a road there which i have now done and has been reconized by computers updates,,, and driving around adelaide now isent such a nightmare either so im happy with mine cheers freddyboy

Had my son in law here couple years ago with a crash hot gps.My brother used to live at Happy Valley and did have 2 ways of going to his place, both about the same distance and same time to get there 45 mins.Well the gps took us on a tour and arrived at bro's place 58 min later.So will rely on maps and my knowhow.

i reckon they can be a bit hit or miss- Del, Softy and i found our way to a club dam using Dels without a problem (dont know make or model), yet the next fishing trip we had to get out the street directory because the bloody thing decided to have a big spaz attack- another mate of mine visiting from Queensland wanted to go somewhere down south and it guided him to the Garden Island boat ramp (bloody funny when he rang me up to find out where he was) :P - but the best GPS i have honestly ever seen was on my sisters nokia phone- that thing always directed us very well and not the long way around either. :)

definatly needs some exploring with the settings.. i was heading to adelaide today, got half way, stopped at port pirie, then just decided to go home.4 hr drive for nothing..... :dry: i again set it for my house, and it took me the same route, but put me infornt of a house this time... cept it was 500mtrs awy this time... so its getting closer, but when i looked at the house number, aha.... i live in a unit... unit 12/55i typed that in, and it put me in front of number 12.just back from a fish with vb4me, and we typed in his address, but with an ajoining road to it.it took us to it, but the long way...when i left, i put in the number 55 and my street, it took me the wrong way, then doubled back, and eventually put me in my street, and pretty much on the doorstep... so for 99 bucks it aint too bad it will need some changes doing, and vb tells me there is an update available for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my 2nd Navman as the 1st one someone thought they had more right to it than the person who bought it .I've used it all over Tassie and Queensland not a problem with it ,I used to do alarm responses at night [security] and it got me to the front door every time especialy handy at night now I'm driving a truck and it gets me wherever I need to go no problems.only need to get a yearly update all the time as there are new suburbs opening up all the time.tight lines, regards Carl

They are getting better and better. I have got Homer Simpson telling me where to go and it tells you which lane you have to get in. Very handy in big cities where there are 5 lanes with all different turning directions. With all the road works happening, it can make it a pain, but the Tom tom's will work out another route if you take a wrong turn.I would not visit a strange town without one now. Technology makes me lazy!! :P