Salmon on metal techniques

Just had a session on small salmon in ceduna and found that retrieval was the faster the better we used them little flat Halco lures with the red plastic thingy hanging by the hooks and it was action non stopbrilliant fun on light gear :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: But then again Im a river fisher and havent had much to do with the BIG BLUE. :blink: Just lucky I guess ,at Davenport Creek they Were hammering my biggest stump jumpers Which I use for Murray Cod :laugh:

fishnfreak wrote:

What is YOUR recommended/favorite retrieval style for metals, and also favorite brands and styles

Usually anything in a pilchard pattern, or just plain silver such as a chrome slice will do the job ;) Raiders seem to be the flavour of the month just now, Spanyids are always good, and the old halco slice is a classic ;) Retreival depends on the fish and the day sometimes. Try varing your speeds to finsd the one that works. Faster isnt always best, but fairly quick is will normally work

with metals I like to mix up the retrieve a bit. some days the salmon prefer a chase and other days they are lazy, what I normally do is cast out the metal and let it sink for a few seconds and do a flatout retrieve until the metal is skipping across the surface and then pause for a few secs and skip it across the surface again, then pause and then retrieve the metal at a moderate pace. salmon are usually excited by seeing the metal hit the surface and the noises it makes brings the fish over to investigate (a bit like kingies) and if there not taking the lure on the faster retrieve then they will usually smack it on the drop or when the metal is being reeled in at a moderate pace. I prefer to use metals in the 20 gram range as its a good allrounder.

I usually go with the fast retrieve, but if I know there's fish there and they're not taking like that I'll mix it up a bit, a little stop and start letting it flutter down in between, that will usually get them if they're not taking on the fast retrieve. For surf fishing I'll use anything from 15g up to 85g depending on what the wind is doing. My favourite time to fish is when there's a strong onshore blow, and my go to lure at those times is a 2 oz. Haw River Tackle Short-Body Stingsilver (from the US) in silver if the sun is about or a white painted one when it's not.

if ya wanna have fun with the st's I recommend using soft plastics as the poor buggers are unable to resist something like a 4inch minnow or a squidgey flickbait. you can also mix up the retrieve more with soft plastics from fast to bottom bouncing.yesterday i beached a 58cm goolwa sambo using my 7ft bream flick stick with a blue squidgey fish, a truely awesome fight indeed!! screaming runs, aerobatics and they never say die!!still smilin'

• 3 weeks later...

Placcies are good and prob ideal, but don't cast anywhere near as efficiently as a metal, or even a bait and they wear out. I find halco slices silver of gold (good middle of the day) or Knight wedges in 20gms in the pink (ideal colour in lowlight) land me a couple a greenbacks.I have had good success on 2kg+ Salmon on 15-20gm lures. No brainer that you can fire much bigger casting distance with the right gear and with more ease. And when ya battle 2kg+ fish on 2000-2500 gear you'll really learn what salmon are about. Still good fun on the ol'surf gear, which is obviously will still be dominant for bait, but it's a skull drag in comparison. Different techniques on different days and scenarios, down Fowlers my mate discovered a real yanking action was the only thing making them bite off the ledges, other times just a fast steady retrieve (works well at waits for me), other times cranked, other times a slow flutter. And if ya aint catching, it's probably cause the fish are probably wondering what kinda douche would swim a piece of metal in front of their face and expect a result.

dutchxfisher wrote:

Different techniques on different days and scenarios, down Fowlers my mate discovered a real yanking action was the only thing making them bite off the ledges, other times just a fast steady retrieve (works well at waits for me), other times cranked, other times a slow flutter.

Same as above and my favorite would be the Gillies blue pilchard around he metro area,its got a decent flutter on the drop on slow days. cheers brenton