Snapper Rod & Overhead reel combo

Hey allI want to get into jetty based snapper fishing Smiley I'm pretty new to all of this and need some advice as to what rod and reel to buy? i want to try an overhead reel and reckon i will spool it with mono till i get the hang of it. I was thinking the Shimano TLD 15 or 20 but after abit of reading i am getting the impression that this could be abit of an over kill? Also i know nothing about rods what is a good size for snapper off a jetty? any help would be appreciated thanks in advance =)

anestimav wrote:

Buy something you can cast easy...Abu 7000 or bigger ,Shimano tekotas...something along those lines.

I would highly recommend the Shimano Tekota 700 with levelwind.Being new to overheads the levelwind will be crucial for you.AFF is right in that a TLD of some sort is overkill. If you did want to get serious about your land based jetty snapper fishing and wanted to stop the big boys, it would just be a matter of loading your Tekota with 50lb braid.Now before anyone says, who needs 50lb braid to stop reds. When fishing off Walleroo, Kleins or Pt Giles it can be essential to run 50lb braid to stop big reds from going under the jetty...Many big fish can be lost on the standard 20 or 30lb, so the upgrade is crucial, but the Tekota will handle it no problem.Anyway...good luck with your jetty snapper...Brett :laugh:

have a look at a big spinner penn spinfisher 850 , 950, okuma salina 80 or eclipz 80 , 90 daiwa emblem pro 5500a emcast es6000 or GS 9 ,BG 90 OR any big shimano most of these reels will hold 300mtrs of 50lb braid or 30lb mono .With a 5120 or 4120 graphite rod would IMO be a good outfit to start with and also double for the surf as well .Some of these reels come with a spare spool witch u can put lighter line for salmon an mullys. If you want to go overhead saltist 40L or 50L with a 5120 graphite overhead rod imo should also be looked at and can be used for rays and sharks mullys. The spinners would also be shit easy for casting .Anyhow there,s heaps of combos out there so just narrow it down and go for it .Hope this dos not confuse u :) good luck

urhookedfish wrote:

Now before anyone says, who needs 50lb braid to stop reds. When fishing off Walleroo, Kleins or Pt Giles it can be essential to run 50lb braid to stop big reds from going under the jetty...Many big fish can be lost on the standard 20 or 30lb, so the upgrade is crucial,

who needs 50lb to stop a RED :huh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I can stop most on 6Kilo no dramas ;):laugh: Seriously though, even with a drop gaff, or maybe especially with one, you're going to need all of that 50 Lb if you need to get a 30lb+ Red from flapping on the surface, up onto the planks ;)

Wow so many different opinions lol =) I also posted this on fishsa but got alot less responses, but did how ever read that some ones shimano Tekota (sp) fell to bits after 18 months.... i have also heard the Abu 7000 is not made in sweeden anymore and to steer clear of the taiwan newer version. I am after an overhead as i want to get familiar with them as far as beach fishing goes i have a daiwa reel for that already and hardly go beach fishing yet. Hmmmm decisions decisions :S

I know very little of the Tekotas, and cant see the ABU 7000 pulling anything larger than pannies up onto a jetty myslef. maybe try one of the larger sized Okuma reels :huh: You could have a chat to one of the site sponsors and see what they suggest maybe :huh: Waterboy at Anglers Choice, Dubs The Tackleman @ Salisbury Tackleworld or Binksmarine should all be able to steer you in the right direction ;)

I fish Wallaroo quite regularly, The big snapper there pull harder than those you catch out on the boat. You don't need a lot of line capacity because if they run for more than 3m (or less sometimes) whatever line you have goes snap. I used to use an old daiwa overhead reel a few years ago with success, but my greatest hookup to land ratio which is 100% is with my made in Sweden abu 6000 with 100lb braid on a surf rod. Pretty funny if you think about it. I have also used my 6500 baitrunner which is good also. You need minimum 50lb mainline as said above, i have had 80lb trace snap on those fish and the 100,000+ pylons under there. When you hook a big one good luck!The saltist overheads are good too, whatever reel you pick make sure you can pick it up quickly and set the drag quickly. That is why baitrunner style and overheads are the best, otherwise you may as well hold your reel for many hours.

why an overhead? big baitrunner would be my choice if i was in the market.... far less hassles with tangles and knots...even now after using my abu7000 for 15 yrs, i STILL get tangles in the bloody thing.... mostly at night, when casting into the blackness, and i just cant see the line hit the water to thumb the spool.... instant overrun.ive also had snapper in the boat, scream off, then stop, but the reel keeps turning for a bitgetting another nest to conted with.im doing it wrong,i know i am, in having the backlash a bit looser than whats the norm, but when i like to cast it, i like to get it out there....

I have a Spheros 14000 with the full upgrade, consisting of stella-style handle and better internals. This thing has a great drag, really strong, a powerful rubber handle that fits perfectly into you hand and really lets you crank. I have it spooled with 50lb jigman mulit-color braid.Just saying that overheads are not the only option. Chuck it on a 9-10ft rod and it would be near unbeatable for a powerful combo on a budget.

Hey oz pomy,I have a shimano tekota 700 have had it for atleast 5 years now not a thing wrong with it, havent heard anything about them crapping themselves after that time and I work in a tackle store so I think I would of heard if that was the case.Your right about the abu not being built in Sweeden anymore and havent been for sometime now, still pretty much the same reel enginered in Sweeden assembled in China like most things these days.Tekota 700 would still be overkill for snapper you could drop down a few sizes to either a 500 or 600 and comfortably fish for reds of any jetty even wally.Not long ago we had a bloke and his missis come through the shop and buy a tekota 600 that weekend they went out on the boat fishing, unfortunatly the rod was pulled over board and ended up on the bottom of the ocean, they came back through the shop a week later explaining what had happened and had an insurance check to replace it.5 weeks on they went and fished there spot, on there first drop the wife says I think I have something, to everyones suprise it was here rod and reel she had lost weeks earlier. They soaked the reel in fresh water for 2 days then brought the reel back into us for a service, we sent it back to shimano the only thing replaced on that reel was a bearing everything else is in fine working order so thats a bit of a plug on them

Thanks everyone for the replies :) I spoke to my old man today and turns out he has an Abu 7000 lying around not getting used =) i just have to get it serviced as he reakons something to do with the drag is playing up... Does anyone know roughly what a service would cost or will it depend on the damage done? Also i now just have to find a rod to match the reel i have a 10 ft rod already but really wanted something abit smaller anyone got suggestions?Cheers for your help Oz_Pomy

there s a few rods that come to mind but it all depends how much dosh u want to spend and what pound line u want to run. SABRE670 10 to 15kilo,there 7 ft but big bucks , daiwa grandwave 7 ft overhead up to usp10kilo ,uglystick usb su70815 8 to 15kilo 7 ft , usp gb1706 7ft 6 inch up to 10kilo. Some custom rods fmt108 hoodlum about 9 ft 10kilo or little devil 6110 9ft 8kilo cheers

Hey Spartan i tryed looking for the 7ft rods you mentioned with google but not much came up do you know where i can find abit of info on them starting with a rough price? A 7 ft rod sounds pretty good to me not to big and not to small :)Regarding the line strength though in this thread i have been recommended to use 50 plus pound braid i really wanted to stick with mono for my first overhead till i get the hang of it. What are the effects of having 50 pound line on a max rated 15kg rod and reel?

I just wanted to reinforce that the line weight recommended is for serious targetting of big reds ie 15-25lb off big jetties like Walleroo, Kliens and Giles.These are the three jetties in which you will need some serious stopping power to put the brakes on a big red in nearly almost no distance. Youve mentioned 50lb plus...but 50lb is going to be perfect. You dont need heaver than 50lb.50lb braid is ideal as the diameter is not that thick, but if you went mono it will be alot thicker.I would definately be looking to use braid if you can afford it!!! Please be aware that you will not need to cast out far from the jetty. 10metres maximum on the 3 jetties that I have mentioned, because the snapper swim around the pylons and up and down alongside the jetty in the channel.anyway...just remember snapper fishing from our jetties is best done around xmas time and from now for the next few months while its rough and windy as hell. It also takes alot of hours and effort to crack these land based monsters.I also wanted to agree with Dubs that I wouldnt expect a Tekota to blow up. They are sensational and tough reels and my go to reel when fishing deep drops for reds where you just need to drop your bait straight over the side of the boat...but they do cast damn well as well. I CAN HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE TEKOTA'S and in fact would say they are nothing but QUALITY. I am a daiwa man through and through but still have a massive soft spot and massive respect for my Tekota.

Oz_Pomy wrote:

Hey Spartan i tryed looking for the 7ft rods you mentioned with google but not much came up do you know where i can find abit of info on them starting with a rough price? A 7 ft rod sounds pretty good to me not to big and not to small :)Regarding the line strength though in this thread i have been recommended to use 50 plus pound braid i really wanted to stick with mono for my first overhead till i get the hang of it. What are the effects of having 50 pound line on a max rated 15kg rod and reel?

checked my local tackle store they had shimano T curve 10 2 15kg 7 ft 6 in 169 dollars ,daiwa salist boat 10 2 15kg 7 ft 169 dollars 701mf .Also daiwa procyon 10 2 15kg 7ft pc701hb on special 4 39.99 DOLLARS they also had some 7 ft uglysticks but only up 10kg for 99 dollars.I donot use braid for big stuff so cant reely help you there . MY local store is ray and annes if i can say that on this site :)

If you're new to catching large powerful fish, dont forget to put some thought into how you're going to set everything up to avoid your outfit going for am expensive swimSeems lots of people think the are "faster" than the fish, and end up paying for it ;) :S Oz_Pomy wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies :) I spoke to my old man today and turns out he has an Abu 7000 lying around not getting used =) i just have to get it serviced as he reakons something to do with the drag is playing up... Does anyone know roughly what a service would cost or will it depend on the damage done? Also i now just have to find a rod to match the reel i have a 10 ft rod already but really wanted something abit smaller anyone got suggestions?Cheers for your help Oz_Pomy

Try taking ti to Rob Wilsoin at Sth oz Rods OP. For both a rod choice and reel modifications and servicing, he's a bit of a legend from what I know ;)B)

Thanks spartan for the rod suggestions im gona try get down the tackle store tomorrow ill let yas know how i go :)and i am getting the abu7000 serviced by rob wilson and should have it back by Thursday. Still debating weather or not to go braid or mono though as i know im gona get birds nests and braid would seem like a nightmare lol.

Hey all just an update i went down to the local tackle store they didnt have many rods in the size i was after :( i ended up getting a surecatch sensortip 2 6ft 6 inch. Has anyone heard much about these? I got a call from rob saying my reel is ready to be picked up so i will get that tomorrow and put 50 pound braid on it. Has anyone got any tips on how to rig it up for snapper? i have a rough idea but it could be very rough :laugh: i should mention that i bought 80 pound leader so hopefully i wont get busted of by the fish or pylons :) thanks again everyone for their advice i cant wait to get down to the jetty this weekend..

Dubs The Tackle Man wrote:

chuckemback wrote:

dont put braid on the 7000 if you have to cast unless your a master caster with magnifing eyes cozz braid will test u!

? not sure wat you mean by this chuckemback
Dubs ..what im saying if you get fuzzes when u cast im sure braid will be allot harder to unpick than mono....know what i mean?
chuckemback wrote:

Dubs The Tackle Man wrote:

chuckemback wrote:

dont put braid on the 7000 if you have to cast unless your a master caster with magnifing eyes cozz braid will test u!

? not sure wat you mean by this chuckemback
Dubs ..what im saying if you get fuzzes when u cast im sure braid will be allot harder to unpick than mono....know what i mean?
Dont have to b a master caster not to get fuzzes mate a bit of practice makes perfect.7000 are 1 of the most easiest overhead reels to cast fully adjustable cast controls.