Snapper Rod & Overhead reel combo

your right Dubs they are easy to cast ...but id stick to mono still on any overhead 4 casting! im sick of gettin air knots on my sp eggy! the stuff (braid) is expensive to replace. it takes time to un pick the dam knots and you lose fishing time .is there any braid that doesnt knot so easily?must admit im getting real good at geting the wind knots out :)

Oz_Pomy wrote:

Hey all just an update i went down to the local tackle store they didnt have many rods in the size i was after :( i ended up getting a surecatch sensortip 2 6ft 6 inch. Has anyone heard much about these? I got a call from rob saying my reel is ready to be picked up so i will get that tomorrow and put 50 pound braid on it. Has anyone got any tips on how to rig it up for snapper? i have a rough idea but it could be very rough :laugh: i should mention that i bought 80 pound leader so hopefully i wont get busted of by the fish or pylons :) thanks again everyone for their advice i cant wait to get down to the jetty this weekend..

The jetty end is closed this weekend as there is a ship in, Lots of baby snapper down there at the moment. There are some big kg whiting of the jetty at the moment, a few mullet and salmon trout.I would use a running rig down there with around a meter trace. With the short rod though it might be a bit difficult to cast under the chain, you might have to use a paternoster rig.

Hey just giving everyone abit of an update. I only got a slight birds nest once which i untangled in less than a minute surprisingly lol. To avoid getting another one i just turned the dial up on the left of the reel and had no dramas after that. The reel felt very good after it was serviced by Rob Wilson and for $15 im very happy with that :). Now hear comes the sad part i didnt catch a single thing of wallaroo or moonta jetty lol there ws king fish going up and down wallaroo jetty though. I fished the mariner and got a couple of Yellow Fin Whiting and seen some massive tommys get pulled out :)all in all not a bad weekend thanks everyone for their advide B)

i have a shimano Tekota 700 and it is overkill for reds 30 pounds+ i prefer catching them on my Calcutta 50!. Shimano Tekota's are a amassing reel, they take some real punishment and perform to there highest ability allways. personally the tekota 600 is easier to use as it has the smaller handle and can be retrieved much faster which is important when fishing in depths 50 feet+