damn i NEARLY hooked the catch of a lifetime today

so here i was... tried a few different spots, and got talking to a mate with his kick arse ford GT40 replica.... worth 100k.tried another spot, and the water was moving about 40 mtrs out... swirling, making flattened out water.... SALMON on the surface... you ripper.... no lure in my bag, so on with a fresh cuttlie tentacle, and a sinker, picked my spot, and gave it what for.... EXACTLY in the swirling water, about a foot or so in front of the direction they were moving.... waiting.... OOPS... up pops a friggen scuba diver in a hurry... :blush::blush::blush::blush: oops... sorry mate... got some great pics on my phone of him when he popped his head up, and then came in to shore...i never said a word, as i would have burst out laughing..AND IVE GOT WITNESSES.... hahahahah... too old bloke there from queensland, AND the local fisheries officer seen the guy come into shore...waiting on sandy whiting to email me the pics....no snapper today.

shagging wrote:

So you caught a diver mate? lmao! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

almost.... damn funniest thing ive done for a long time.... priceless look on my face i reckon when he just popped up....gave him a wave and a sorry mate... then wound in and cast AWAY from him...when he came back to shore, he went directly under my line, and just in front of the rod in the shallows.....
samantic01 wrote:

LMAO... :laugh::laugh::laugh: whats a diver doin where we wanna fish anyway

yep... be stuffed if i be diving in the waters around pt lowly thats for sure....there was a bloke almost killed by a white pointer in the 1970's at this very spot...and that pic i posted of the shark was from this area as well....
Brent61southoz wrote:

great story, funny stuffbrent

just sent a few pics to shagging and pescados... HOPEFULLY one of them may be able to get the pics off their phone and post them up for me... if not, i will have to wait for sandywhiting to email me them.

Shame you didn't hook up with the diver, apparently they make an excellent live bait for white pointers, then you definately would have had the catch of a life time, especially if Sandy Whiting caught it on camera. Would have been a life time of bragging rights, could have won a trophy!

rocknev wrote:

afishyfish wrote:

You could have made the diver a practice run for the Kayak/Alvey Challenge Nev :laugh::laugh::laugh:

now that would have been a good idea..... :laugh: OI SANDYWHITING... HURRY UP AND PUT THE PICTURES UP PLEASE.....
How many challenges have you got lined up for the Alvey now Nev ?I think that makes it three :huh::unsure: What's next :blink::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh: When I was 15 or 16 fishing at the Bluff at Victor, I thought id hooked a big ray, no kicks but was moving. I fought it for a few minutes before gaining line and a diver came up. Id hooked him around the belt and when I spoke to him after he said he was trying to trick me until id managed to tire him out. :woohoo:
afishyfish wrote:

rocknev wrote:

afishyfish wrote:

You could have made the diver a practice run for the Kayak/Alvey Challenge Nev :laugh::laugh::laugh:

now that would have been a good idea..... :laugh: OI SANDYWHITING... HURRY UP AND PUT THE PICTURES UP PLEASE.....
How many challenges have you got lined up for the Alvey now Nev ?I think that makes it three :huh::unsure: What's next :blink::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
hahaha... not so sure on the number 3... so far ive got the great kayak challenge, and a personal goal of landing a 10kg snapper from the rocks.... cant think of a 3rd...but number 2 may be on the cards.... a bloke my brother knows, landed two fish at 20lb GUTTED from the rocks on friday... and hes taking my bro out soon...i know the blokes brother, and being the former corvette owner we both were, he wants to take me out to this spot... hell im keen...they both use big spinners, but with 50lb braid on them...
marko wrote:

Hey rocknev, I have a mate who does a fair bit of diving, maybe if you tell me where you're goin to give it a go for the snapper I could get him to put a monster one on your hook?

now thats not a bad idea.....but mine is still swimming around out there... waiting ....
marko wrote:

Yeah mate, if the snapper doesn't come to the party maybe we could spray paint a couple of monster bream red, if we tank the guys up on a few coldies they probably wouldn't notice the difference! What ya reckon?

always amased me just how similar the are sometimes.the changing colour of the snapper gets me... ive caught then deep red, almost white, pink, and a few times they have been almost black, and look so much like a bream its not funny.

thanks sandywhiting for sending me the pic.... missing the other 3 pics, but this will give you an idea of how close he came in... this was after he had already came to shore and took his tanks off, and was heading back out to retrieve a float and jig for another bloke.he swam UNDER my line.this is my 2 piece snyderglas im giving a run for a while...Posted Image

freddyboy wrote:

by law he should have a dive flag dosent he?cheers fred

yeah a few people have said that... what he NEARLY had was a sinker as a new adornmant in his head.i honestly thought the way the ripples were happeneing, that it was a school of salmon just under the surface.. but they must have bee the bubbles rising from his tanks...
samboman wrote:

rocknev wrote:

freddyboy wrote:

by law he should have a dive flag dosent he?cheers fred

yeah a few people have said that... what he NEARLY had was a sinker as a new adornmant in his head.i honestly thought the way the ripples were happeneing, that it was a school of salmon just under the surface.. but they must have bee the bubbles rising from his tanks...
In that pic he doesn't have tanks..... He is snorkeling :huh: Sambo
yep... correct... he had the tanks on when he was 50 odd mtrs out....read the post where i posted the pic....believe it or not, i can cast a little bit further than when he swam under my line...as the pic shows.
samboman wrote:

yep just saw that bit :woohoo: :woohoo: Sambo

no worries sambo.the other pics show him in thw ater with his tanks, and exiting the water with them on, thats when the fisheries bloke turned up for a chat...speaking of which.. had the most excellant chat with the fisheries guy, (mick). hes passionate about his job, and from the chat, its easy to see he cares about the fishing occuring in the area....
marko wrote:

Nev those bubbles you saw coming from the diver, didn't come from his tanks mate. Can't you tell the bubbles are brown, he obviously shat himself when your sinker klonked him on his scone.

hahahaha... honestly, ive cast that alvey a bazzillian times, and i can put it most times were i want it, just like most people can do...ive seen some incredible casting among snags on rivers and into gutters not much wider than a ft long and 50ft out by other people before.i put it about a mtrs or so on his nose........the old saying,,, " WHERE YOU LOOK IS WHERE YOU CAST" if anyone happened to be parked up in them 2 boats a few hundred mtrs out the day before, im sorry i cast out further than you were anchored,and dierectly between you both... didnt mean to scare you, but thats what happenes when i somehow put TWO sinkers onto 15 lb line not knowing it would break on the cast.... ( its funny though when ever i use 2 sinkers, it always seems to bust on the cast, with the sinkers heading a friggen long way out past where boats seem to anchor... sorry again lads....)