My biggest Cuttle Fish (Edithburgh)

Hi Guys,Just thought I would add my latest and biggest Cuttle Fish that I have ever caught.I caught it on the Marion Reef just of Edithburgh on my snapper line,I didnt know what was on the end of the line as it gave a good fight but.the same day me mate hooked up on humungus sting ray smashed his snapper Rod in halves got it to the surface after about 45 miniutes we thought and it felt simmilar to a shark we cut the line when we seen what it was it would have had to been around 8 foot long but a bit hard to see in the waterCheers,MickZ

• 2 weeks later...
kobusmostert wrote:

Being new to fishing, I was wondering what do you do with a cuttlefish?I caught one near Hallett Cove yesterday. It measured about 600mm and weighed about 5kg. Not knowing what to do with it, I released it again.

Mate they make excellent bait or they can be prepared for a delicious meal. They are slightly sweeter than calamari and need just as much care in cooking otherwise they can end up as tough as tyres :laugh::laugh: Plenty of recipes on the net for them.Like your fishing ethics though, if unsure release it.

One day I was going scuba diving on a local reef where we used to pick up a few cray fish. I was first ready and rolled off the boat. I had only just righted myself when I saw a huge cuttlefish (for these parts) heading straight for me. I opened my kill bag, held it in front of the cuttle and it swam straight into it. The guys in the boat couldb't believe it when I chucked my bag aboard and asked them to put the cuttle into the esky - I had only been in the water about 30 seconds! It weighed about 4kgs and provided us with some good meals!