unsure on what reel i need

Guest pin point

Guest pin point

hey guys i recently got my penn rod back and i wanna get a new reel, im not sure on what reel i need, heres the rods specs http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/browse/rods/penn-rods/pinpoint-tournament/pinpoint-tournament-ppt-58-bcl.html (its the 701spx) im looking for a reel that could be used for shoolies through to redfin. the rod is rated 3/6kg but its really sensitivecheers luke

davidm#2 wrote:

i would go the Daiwa cy2000, very smooth and lightor maybe a bit bigger if going for schooliescheers

Yep and i'd still stick with the 2000 if its going to double as your bream rod because anything heavier is a pain and as you know plenty of good schoolies have been caught on the bream gear. cheers brenton
Guest pin point

ok, heres the few reels im trying to decide on, http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/rods-reels/penn/penn-affinity-spin-reels-129ea/ or http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/rods-reels/daiwa/daiwa-spin-reels/daiwa-cy-spin-reels-from-only-99-95/ im leaning towards the cy2000 as its abit cheaper, but im happy waiting a little longer if the affinity is gonna be better in the long run

Dubs The Tackle Man wrote:

Carefull buying stuff over the net often no warrenty comes with these reels and you end up being screwed over.Anyways you guys should be supporting your locals not some overseas mob

Hey Dubs, yes you should be carefull on Ebay, but Ive had nothing but success with it so far. I only buy off the large Power sellers.I didnt make mention of this and probably should have, but there are such great buys and you dont pay for a middle man, ie a tackle store.I guess I am providing a kind of service in which a Tackle store would do buy recommending the size brand and model of the reel.I think PP could definately do well with this reel although well pointed out that our Tackle stores do need our support as well.I do support my tackle stores when it comes to tackle ie leads, hooks etc, but use the buying tool that is Ebay to save me some dollars.Its definately Buyer beware and yes if it packs it in you have no warranty to fall back on. That has never worried me when buying DAIWA though, but would be more concerning if buying a less reliable brand.PS Dubs. I will be down the local Tackle shop tonight or tommorow stocking up on sinkers, pillies and what ever else I need in the next day or two...its not all net stuff for me.lol

To true mate, I know of two blokes that brought brand new saltigas never used and they shagged themselves within 2 trips had to pay for the repair ened up costing more than a brand new australian 1.I dont agree with internet buying never done it, If everything was on the internet which it is fast going that way I wouldnt have a job and neither would half the blokes on here, so in saying that I still think you should support your local weather it be bait hooks snkers or reels and rods even cars and food.Keep it in Australia

Thats intersting about the Saltiga's - do you think they were in fact used reels that had been put under some serious strain but labelled as new, or do you just think they were unusually suspect from manufacture?Those things are such presicion engineered peices of machinery,I find it strange for Saltiga's to just up and cactus themselves??Are they the only Saltiga's you have heard of breaking down.Was that the 4500 or 6500 or dogfight.oh I would love a Dogfight. But man are they heavy and overkill for anything that I could dream of landing? :):):)

Isnt it amazing that some people pay top dollar for a reel and then expect it to work after dunking it in the water, never washing it down and just treating em like crap.If I spend the money, I treat it like a high end car, always wash it, polish it with cloth only not car polish, and put it out of harms way on my dedicated fishing rod rack...I used to leave my top end reels in their bags, but was getting sick of taking em in and out of the bag every few weeks or so.anyway I like to have my combos set up and ready to fish...but Gee I like to look after them. :ohmy: :ohmy:

Guest pin point

yeah i have been cleaning my reel outs recently alot, ever two weeks i try to take it apart and clean it/oil and replace washers if need be etc but with my new one i wont be taking it apart myself, too scared ill break it or lose something. ill just take it down to the tackleshop and pay them to do it to be on the safe side

same mate always in there reel and rod bags washed off and dryed after every use even fresh water Ill still wash me gear I figure I have thousands of dollars worth of stuff I better look after it otherwise Ive wasted me money.Man I have me own tackle shop at home just thinking of it, but its easy to do working in a tackle store, I find my self buying something everyday

pin point wrote:

yeah i have been cleaning my reel outs recently alot, ever two weeks i try to take it apart and clean it/oil and replace washers if need be etc but with my new one i wont be taking it apart myself, too scared ill break it or lose something. ill just take it down to the tackleshop and pay them to do it to be on the safe side

PP, I find that if you own middle of the range Daiwa's or Shimano's or better than middle of the range...ie ones wiht CRBB's, as long as you give them a rinse off after using in Salt water, you shouldnt really need to get em serviced. Its nice to do so, but Im finding my reels are lasting me five years or so atleast anyway and Ive never pulled one of them apart or paid for servicing.I know Maybe ive been bloody lucky.. :blush::blush::blush::blush:
urhookedfish wrote:

pin point wrote:

PP, I find that if you own middle of the range Daiwa's or Shimano's or better than middle of the range...ie ones wiht CRBB's, as long as you give them a rinse off after using in Salt water, you shouldnt really need to get em serviced. Its nice to do so, but Im finding my reels are lasting me five years or so atleast anyway and Ive never pulled one of them apart or paid for servicing.I know Maybe ive been bloody lucky.. :blush::blush::blush::blush:
Pay good money so wanna look after stuff like that. I found a major advantage to the alvey is minimal maintenance. Good wash off, the odd drop of oil here and there and they'll last almost forever. My oldest spin reel is 2 1/2years old and the corrosion in that is shocking. Granted its not even a middle of the range reel but I do look after what I have and am quite disappointed at how old this reel looks already

ooops... you just reminded me vb4me, I just inherited 3 Alvey's from my old man which need maintainance, can hear some sand or corrosion crunching around in a couple of them. Alveys are new too me and i definately want to get stuck in and use them (especially after reading everyone in Whyalla posts :)) any hints or tips servicing wise or is it all pretty much straight forward? any advice you can give is much appreciated- if i get too stuck with it all i can always get Del to help me out. Cheers. :)

disturbed1 wrote:

ooops... you just reminded me vb4me, I just inherited 3 Alvey's from my old man which need maintainance, can hear some sand or corrosion crunching around in a couple of them. Alveys are new too me and i definately want to get stuck in and use them (especially after reading everyone in Whyalla posts :)) any hints or tips servicing wise or is it all pretty much straight forward? any advice you can give is much appreciated- if i get too stuck with it all i can always get Del to help me out. Cheers. :)

Just pull it apart and lay the parts out in a straight line ( there wont be many ) on some clean paper, being wary of anything like springs that will fly off when they come loose.Clean and re-oil/grease them as you reassemble and you wont lose any and have them all in the right spots ;)

Basically it will just be a pulldown of parts. Spool off the backing plate which is probably where any sand has accumulated. Just keep everything in order on disassembly is about the only tip I can give as they really are a very basic setup. When I did mine I gave everything a cleanup with turps then hot water and detergent. A re oil on reassembly and it is sweet as. Jump on the alvey website as there is a little bit of info there on maintenance of reels concerning the use of grease and/or oil.Good luck mate. It aint that hard but you will end up with something that will outlast anything else on the market today.

Thanks very much guys- i havnt pulled them apart yet and i thought they were pretty simple from what people have told me but i have never seen the insides of one, always good to ask someone who owns and uses one. thanks again.cheers.Instead of sending you both karma i will pray to the fishing gods that you both catch a 30lb snapper :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

afishyfish wrote:

disturbed1 wrote:

i will pray to the fishing gods that you both catch a 30lb snapper :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Can you pray that this one is smaller than the one I get on Monday in the same spot :huh:Posted Image
I think ive seen this somewhere before :laugh::laugh: If its worth showin once its worth showin.....................times :P:lol::lol:
Guest pin point
vb4me wrote:

afishyfish wrote:

disturbed1 wrote:

i will pray to the fishing gods that you both catch a 30lb snapper :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Can you pray that this one is smaller than the one I get on Monday in the same spot :huh:Posted Image
I think ive seen this somewhere before :laugh::laugh: If its worth showin once its worth showin.....................times :P:lol::lol:
how do u pull these fish outta ur arse aff? first that monster carp now this...?
vb4me wrote:

afishyfish wrote:

disturbed1 wrote:

I think ive seen this somewhere before :laugh::laugh:
Nahhhhh wrong one VBYou were possibly thinking of this 1 I think :unsure:Posted Image
vb4me wrote:

afishyfish wrote:

disturbed1 wrote:

I think ive seen this somewhere before :laugh::laugh:
Nahhhhh wrong one VBYou were possibly thinking of this 1 I think :unsure:Posted Image