beach rod an reel 4 mulloway

ditto the sensor surf rod have seen them 4 around 250 to 299 dollars a wicked stick that .If you donot want the saltiga surf there about 500 dollars , have a look at a emblem pro 5500a at about 300 dollars or if you want a base outfit fsu5120 graphite and penn spinfisher 9500 should come around 300 bucks :) cheers

Guest davidm#2

hey,ill give ya another cheaper option but still great quallity.shimano baitrunner B, or LC (long cast). great strong, smooth reel with good capacity and easy to set up. match that up with a 12ft mulloway special wilson surf rod and youll be ready to catch chose big massive mulloway B) with that said, if u have the money i would recomend buying the saltigacheers ;)

The reason i got the Sensor..... is the weight factor, hold a wilson in one hand and a sensor in the other..... over the west coast fishing for a whole week i reckon my back would be stuffed after the first few days casting and if ya got on to a few mullies..... yep sensor is VERY LIGHT..... B) Sambo

Guest davidm#2

agree with that SM, but it all depends on the ballance of the reel on the rod(make sure you check that in the shop b4 purchase). also the thing about the long cast baitrunner you dont have to put as much effort in to get the distance.u also dont have to cast far to get in to the gutter (usually)cheers

Guest davidm#2

id stik with 25lb mono, coz heard bad thing about braind in the surf but ive never used it. and you hav more stretch to play with when that mullie is just sitting on the lip of the gutterbut its really a personal choice

I personally like overhead reels for fishing with bait and also for fighting bigger fish, the Sealine X-50 is what I use on my heavy beach rod, great casting reel with a excellent drag and it's priced very well. The Sensor rods are great, I've got one with a Sealine X-30 for my medium beach setup.

Has anyone tried the Saltiga Surf Spinning rods, not talking about the Ballistic Surf but the ones available to the u.s market? About to purchase one in the 20-40lb line weight & not sure if to go the 11ft or 12ft for big Mullys (hopefully)? Work out much cheaper than the Ballistic's & there is larger range of lengths/line weights available. Not keen on a 13ft rod & already have a Sensor Surf & a couple of Seajiggers.

hard to find, but a snyderglas 153 matched with an alvey 650 or 700 will stop a biggy.im using a 651 alvey, identical to a 650, but its a deep spool... holds 1000mtrs of 25lb line... that should be enough.biggest ive seen landed on an alvey is a 78lb monster caught a few years ago on the west coast.im biased, biased as hell actually, but beach fishing with all that sand will not hurt an alvey one single bit... if you do get a bit of sand in it ( which is a given when fishing the beaches) just rinse it off in the ocean if need be, and carry on fishing.last year, a freak wave came from nowhere at sheringa, we ran, leaving the rods in there spikes in the sand...completly covered in salt water, and the receding big wave, took my brothers snyder and alvey with it. it was in the water getting rolled around in the sand for a couple of minutes, but when we got it back, it was rinsed with a bottle of water, without pulling it apart, and we carried on fishing...but im biased....all of the combos mentioned are quality gear which will handle what your aiming for.good luck.nev

I have a Daiwa Sensor 12 and 13ft version which i use with Saltiga Surf 6000 reel and 50lb braid.Daiwa Saltiga Balistic rods a little overpriced and don't see the advantage since the Sensor cast far enough and handles big 6-8oz sinkers and whole salmon trout / mullet baits. And the saltiga surf spinning rods are more for lures than bait casting.

I'm singing the same song as someone else here:13' Snyder with Alvey 650 on it.My other one is an old 11' Ugly Stik with a Penn 6500SS (which I'm having trouble with).I did have the pleasure of using a couple of my mates rods which were bloody superb:13' Daiwa Sensor Surf with a big Shimano Baitrunner,12' Daiwa Interline Surf, again with a big Shimano Baitrunner.I don't have bottomless pockets, thus both my surf combos are relatively cheap, but if you've got the coin (like my mate) then there's some great gear out there. Cheap stuff still catches fish though! haha.Cheers, good luck with the decisions. Let us know what you end up going with.

adamibinfishin wrote:

can vouch for the 13 ft sensor saltiga combo,awesome.you won't be dissapointed,be picking up my 2nd one shortly.

yeah i just put one on lay buy could not help myself . Could not afford the reel but just got the rod $249. I LL use my opus bull 6000 for now :) cheers
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
penthrox wrote:

I had a Saltiga Sensor Surf rod 13 ft but changed it for a Wilson 5140. I couldnt cast heavy bait effectively (perhaps it just my style). I recently picked up a Nitro Messiah so I will see how that goes. Im using a Salitga Surf 6000 btw

GEE penthrox i hope idont have the same trouble just picked mine up last week i have got it on a opus bull 6000 with super100 30lb line the biggest baits i will be useing is squid heads or tubes for my type of fishing . i think i should be right i will just practice till a get it right . when i got it home i took it out of the bag and said to myself gee this a big MF . Maybe some other forum uses can give us some hints . cheers :)
spartan wrote:

penthrox wrote:

I had a Saltiga Sensor Surf rod 13 ft but changed it for a Wilson 5140. I couldnt cast heavy bait effectively (perhaps it just my style). I recently picked up a Nitro Messiah so I will see how that goes. Im using a Salitga Surf 6000 btw

GEE penthrox i hope idont have the same trouble just picked mine up last week i have got it on a opus bull 6000 with super100 30lb line the biggest baits i will be useing is squid heads or tubes for my type of fishing . i think i should be right i will just practice till a get it right . when i got it home i took it out of the bag and said to myself gee this a big MF . Maybe some other forum uses can give us some hints . cheers :)
From what I have been told the rod I had was better suited to throwing big lures at salmon. Whether that is true I dont know but as I said it is probably just my style :)
penthrox wrote:

That rod is only rated to 6 ounces, so throwing a big bait with a sinker as well would probably be overloading the rod, you could always get away with a bit of a lob, but it would be tough to really put anything into the cast.

I'm a bit with rocknev and Johnny Rotten on this one.I like the big "ballsy" rods like the 8 and 9 wraps;feel like you could pull a tractor out of the surf.Obviously,the newer rods built from various composites and "space age technology" do the job (better?) too,but to me,they feel like toys :laugh: gee,I must be getting old(er) :unsure: