Correct use of spin reel

Dont know whether this sounds silly or not but after casting with a spin reel does everyone flick the bail arm manually with their hand/finger or just start turning the handle so the bail arm clicks over on its own. Does the latter method damage or prematurely wear the reel at all?? I have seen both techniques used on fishing shows and as I have only owned spin reels for a short time compared to my alvey I am wondering the best method to use to look after my spinners :) .Cheers Vb4me

i flick it over with my finger, ive never liked the sound it makes when i do it turning the handle even if it doesnt do any damage- then again only about half or less of my reels i can turn the handle and the bail arm clicks over, they normally just stop dead and i have to click it over with my finger anyway. im interested to know if it really does any damage aswell now?? :)

I have found that the expensive egg beaters release the bail arm easily by turning the handle and can be used as a baitcaster, but the cheaper types I use my fingers to flick over the bail arm.If you use a lot of handle force to roll the bail arm over, then maybe the fingers will be better.The overhead are better still!!

disturbed1 wrote:

i flick it over with my finger, ive never liked the sound it makes when i do it turning the handle even if it doesnt do any damage- then again only about half or less of my reels i can turn the handle and the bail arm clicks over, they normally just stop dead and i have to click it over with my finger anyway. im interested to know if it really does any damage aswell now?? :)

Humf wrote:

I have found that the expensive egg beaters release the bail arm easily by turning the handle and can be used as a baitcaster, but the cheaper types I use my fingers to flick over the bail arm.If you use a lot of handle force to roll the bail arm over, then maybe the fingers will be better.The overhead are better still!!

Hmmm. Ok so still a bit undecided but I have done it on the cheapies and it works but sorta feels a little rough. My daiwa exceler will click over easily but if the spool or bail arm is in the wrong position it feels like it doesnt wanna go but a bit more force and it will. If they are designed to do that fair enough but if they are not then............ I can see the advantage in clicking over with winding but will that fraction of a second hesitation make that much difference??? Used the exceler today and used both methods but until I have a definite answer I might just flick the bail arm with my fingers just to look after my gear a bit more.. Cheers guys

I usually find easing the bail arm over by hand is easier and a more sure-fire method. I agree it also reduces wear on your reel too translating to less maintenance costs ;):) .vb4me wrote:

afishyfish wrote:

shagging wrote:

The finger! :)

Yeah give me the finger too. ;)
Ya rude buggers :blush::blush:;):lol:
Whats wrong with giving a reel the finger ? I often end up having to do that to the fishing gods, so why not a fishing reel ? :huh::unsure:
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest SnappaHunta

Well I Am pretty sure spin reels are design so that you can flick the bail simply by winding, I always used to do this, my idea being that I didn't want to waste time or a hit by doing unnecessary stuff. Until disaster struck...One freezing morning, just as the sun cracked I got a big hit on my light rod, it loaded up way too much then... PING! What happened was the 6lb main line wrapped around the runner on the bailing arm and that was that. A lot of swear words later I vowed never to wind the arm over again lol. That was from using the spin reel like a bait caster. Maybe this has happened to someone else maybe just my luck.By the way, I still think about that fish sometimes haha it was either a decent schoolie, a huge old Bream, or like my wife hooked up a week later, a Drummer :)

not a silly topic at all vb , and i have made myself get into the habit of manualy flicking over the bail arm .some bailarms flick over nicely by winding but some dont . I dont like the crunching noises either.now that i fish allot more with plastcs, lures, n braid i have to be even more carefull after the cast to make sure the braid is going on spool nicely or else next cast will deffinetly bloody windknot up , and that is very annoying!

Bail Arm spring is often one of the first things to fail on most eggbeaters.Using your finger reduces wear and tear on the bail spring.I'm pretty sure Saltigas don't have a bail return spring which means it can't fail in use.They also don't have the unnecessary anti reverse on/off switch that most spin reels have.

Guest pin point
afishyfish wrote:

rollcast wrote:

.They also don't have the unnecessary anti reverse on/off switch that most spin reels have.

Can anyone tell me what having this gadget actually acheives ?Its about as useful as a pair of Doc Martens on a dolphin :blink::huh:
i use it to get the handle off quicker.. thats the only us ive had for it