custom anchor with sheer pin

afishyfish wrote:

Looks interesting BCS, though I cant see just how it works. It would seem to me that the shaft of the anchor needs to move forward to shear the pin, yet there's solid metal in its way :huh::unsure::huh:

Hi AFF, I guess that's what you get from a Silicone Surface Enhancement Technical Service operator.(That's a mouthful and a half!!) :woohoo: :woohoo: (shit stirring)The shaft will swivel 360 degrees if the sheer pin was not there. Pull on the anchor rope and it will put pressure on this sheer pin, once it breaks, the cross beam will swivel in any direction, releasing it from any snapper drop.
Humf wrote:

The shaft will swivel 360 degrees if the sheer pin was not there. Pull on the anchor rope and it will put pressure on this sheer pin, once it breaks, the cross beam will swivel in any direction, releasing it from any snapper drop.

Still dont really get it, but Im sure if I saw it in the flesh it would make sense :)

great idea BS B) designed and built by you?AFF its pretty simple the prongs are held in the fastening position by the 4mm pin easily seen in the second pic. Look closely at where the right angled prongs enter the flat plate section of the anchor......can u see the gaps?If the anchor snags, it just takes a bit of force presumably, to break the pin allowing the right angle prongs to turn unhindred allowing the whole lot to be pulled free.Simple really!

coonta kinta wrote:

great idea BS B) designed and built by you?AFF its pretty simple the prongs are held in the fastening position by the 4mm pin easily seen in the second pic. Look closely at where the right angled prongs enter the flat plate section of the anchor......can u see the gaps?If the anchor snags, it just takes a bit of force presumably, to break the pin allowing the right angle prongs to turn unhindred allowing the whole lot to be pulled free.Simple really!

Thanks CKThe penny finally drops ;)
  • 10 years later...

hi guys,  my friend Frank Miller (designer of the Trustwell anchor) is actually not dead and buried, as some people believe and as mentioned on this page!- but is in fact, alive and well and living in Adelaide South Australia. Yes, he is an elderly man but still produces small steel gadgets out of his modest workshop at the back of his flat. He sold the Trustwell patent many years ago (sometime in the 1980's when he was running a different manufacturing business called Colonial Lace, on Brighton Road Somerton Park) and I think he regrets it! anyway, anyone out there who wants another Trustwell could get in touch with Frank through me if you like. It might be a good project for him to get it up and running again... (my email is available on request - write to 17/88 Harding Street Somerton Park Adelaide, 5044 South Australia.)

happy new year to all..., i just checked Strike Hook site and it looks like we (Frank and Pip) have had 18 responses to my post yesterday about the Trustwell anchor Frank designed (and two likes - nice!)

Am new to the site and can't see who or where the 18 responses are?

Anyway, Frank is coming by my house in about an hour because he is curious to see this website etc... I will try to figure out a way to see the 18 comments (?) and Frank might like to leave a message as well... he's very sociable. I did get a couple of details back to front yesterday. The patent lapsed, was not sold - after sixteen years. He manufactured a number of different types of anchors back in the day. The patent he sold was for a reel designed for squid fishing, to solve a problem he used to have when out fishing years ago. Anyway, stay tuned... Pip