Ranger, re the smoked chicken, I always boil mine first and then smoke it. Can never be toocareful when it comes to chicken I think ! I'm about to get one of those Hark smokers, I have the smaller box type ones, a slightlylarger stainless steel one ( which is great) but that's nearly had it and a larger one I madeyears ago that my brother has claimed ! Cant wait to get the new one.....Tim.......

You're gonna love the Hark, and I'm having a ball with mine!Tonight I bought some of the fish species I cant catch, so my next effort is gonna be a mixture of Atlantic Salmon, Deep Sea Bream, Trout and Oysters, then I thought I might throw in some ham, chicken and cheese just to mix things up a bit.I understand the chicken boiling too. Nothing like Listeria or Salmonella to put a damper on the weekend.Do you also brine the chicken?

No I don't mate, just boil it until its cooked , and smoke it while its still hot and juicy.Ive only just seen those harks in the wild coast mag, and my local "spot on" has one sittingout the front, looks great ! $310 bucks I think. I really like the idea of the gas, so muchless mucking round. Would you smoke fish, ham/pork, and cheese at the same time , or seperatly ? Also, do you wash it out after each use or just leave it to "season" it , so tospeak ? ( sorry for all the questions !)Tim....

I agree that oily fish like Tommies, ST, Snook etc are great smoked, but has anyone ever tried Puffer fish coz I would reckon they are used to smoking!!!:P :P :P I have also made my own beef burger mince patties with a crumbling of Danish blue cheese or fetta in the middle, great flavour. Chicken thigh fillets are also excellent in the smoker especially laced with Nazir's hot chilli sauce. Washed down with a few Boags, magic. Onya lads Marko.;)

• 1 year later...

hi allfor anyone who does a lot of fish smoking and find wood chips expensive try MBL (master butchers coop ltd) on churchill rd. about $15 for a 10 kg bag of redgum smoking sawdust they also sell somekind of woodchips for about $35 for a 20kg bag I think. they also sell a lot of stuff for brine mixes such as salt, maple crystals and pineapple crystals. they also sell Hark gas smokers.rocket

Well went and bought a smoker seen lots of posts on here about smoked tommies so i thought id give it a go ,that little burner thing can catch you out when you light it up eh ,anyway put my 4 pitifull fillets in with some oak chips after soaking in brine and covering with brown suger (see i do read these posts) anyway how nice are they just like the kippers bought in store only about 1/8 the size still it was a nice snack for mornos so ill be targetting tommies snook and any other fish i think will go in there only took 15 minutes and they were done ,hmm me thinks good investmentcrispy :)

Well went and bought a smoker seen lots of posts on here about smoked tommies so i thought id give it a go ' date='that little burner thing can catch you out when you light it up eh ,anyway put my 4 pitifull fillets in with some oak chips after soaking in brine and covering with brown suger (see i do read these posts) anyway how nice are they just like the kippers bought in store only about 1/8 the size still it was a nice snack for mornos so ill be targetting tommies snook and any other fish i think will go in there only took 15 minutes and they were done ,hmm me thinks good investmentcrispy :)[/quote']squid too B)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all was reading an earlier post as i was going to smoke up the salmon trout for lunch tommorow ,ranger said you should bleed them straight away well min sat in the esky whole what will they taste like if i smoke em up ,will they be bad ?any help appreciated crispy :unsure:

I wont imagine they will taste "bad" but Salmon would be "better" if first bled.I stick my fingers in their gills and snap their head backwards to sever the backbone and bleed them out as I catch them.I imagine they were also in an ice slurry in the esky to keep them fresh.Scale them, gut them, and then butterfly the whole fish to open them up flat. Use a toothbrush to remove the bloodline down each side. Soak them in a brine for 1-3 hours. Dry them out thoroughly, sprinkle the flesh side with brown sugar, and pop them into the smoker for around 15-20 mins.Smoking is all about experimentation. You can wet the smoking timber with water or wine to improve the flavour, you can use any type of herb or spice, you can vary smoking times, and just keep playing around until you are happy with your own method.While smoking your fish, also consider throwing in some chops, sausages, etc, to impart a real smoky flavour to them prior to chucking them on the bbq. You can even try smoking a bit of cheese for something different.

• 1 month later...

I pulled a few snapper cutlets out of the freezer to cook up but then when they defrosted i was put off by the smell of snapper, decided i would smoke them instead as i havnt used the smoker for this year.Made up a quick brine solution, approx 3 heaped tablespoons of salt, maybe a tad more, about the same of brown sugar and 500mls water.Brined them overnight although 2-3hrs is plenty.Next day patted them dry with paper towel and into the drying rack for a few more hours.Cooked them for a further 20mins with some redgum chips and they tasted sensational.Nice and juicey and moist, They didnt last long.They were that nice that the next day i pulled out another 2 bags of snapper fillets and smoked them up to.I found a good use for the big reds as the smaller ones normally taste good on their own.