What effect do different tides have?

Hello, This is proablly a question that has been asked before but i can not find it.

I am wondering about the differnt tides. 1. Is it better to fish on the high tide or the low?2. There are two high tides and low a day which is better to fish on?3. How long before the tide time stated in the guides should you fish?4. Does the moon effect fish behaviour much?Thank you for any information that you care to share. Andy

There's no real answer to those questions, different spots will fish better at different stages of the tide. Also, different species of fish prefer different amounts of tidal movement. The fishing is usually better around the bigger tides associated with the new and full moons, but that doesn't mean that fishing around the quarter moons when there is little or no tidal movement is a waste of time either. The moon affects the tides and therefore does affect fish activity, there are also thought to be other effects from the moon and that's where the solunar tables come into play.The best thing to do is to pick a few areas that are convenient for you to fish often and then fish them at different stages of the tide, times of year, different wind directions, etc. Eventually you will get to know those areas well and patterns will begin to emerge. Once you've got those areas down then you can find some new ones and get to know them as well. After awhile you'll have a good selection of spots that you can select from. Good luck!!

Guest SnappaHunta

Hey mate,if you haven't already started one, get a fishing diary started, they are an invaluable resource and even work in the short term, but over a long period, some very useful patterns emerge. Include all the info that PLANKTON suggested in his post, and each time you fish, jot down what was caught with what bait, lure colour etc. Date, times, light, tides, wind, temperature, etc etc. Eventually you ll end up with an option regardless of the tide or season. I was in a tackle shop last year and said to the guy sheepishly " I've had a fishing diary going for over 12 months now and still can't get onto the big mullaway". He said "Mate, my fishin diary has been going for 30 years" :):):):):). I reckon the joy of landing a big fish is just as much about the multiple fishless trips to find em as it is the joy of that 5 or 10 minute battle, headshakes and all, but that's a different story :):)see ya out there sometime