Service industry ??!!

Guest Chinu

Guest Chinu

I went to my favorite tackle shop today, getting ready for my next fishing trip.i was looking for a new rod to catch bass with, the shop assistant showed me all these great rods to choose from, explained how to catch bass and what best suited where i was fishing. showed me the lures to use. i then went to the internet and bought the same rod for $30 dolars less.... what a bargain even with the postagei returned to my favorite tackle shop and looked for a reel to put on my new rod, i handled a few to get the best feel and the assistant showed me what was good about a few different models. the assitant help me decide on the right line and what leader i would require to catch myself a trophy bass, the knots i would need to fish with and how to care for the reel .... i then went and bought the same reel of the internet and i got the line free that i required ..... thats greati returned to my tackle shop today to get a few lures to catch bass ..... they had closed down ........this is an opinion not a fact ..........

Guest SnappaHunta

I buy a lot of bargain stuff, but if ever there is a particular thing I need and won't skimp on, I will spend my cash with the friendly people I chat with when buying bait before 6am every Saturday, St kilda or nth Haven Tackle & Tucka, great bunch they are !!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):)

I buy my tackle from my local shop for the following reasons1. when I need it repaired – they are there2. when I need advice – they are there3. when I need it now – they are there4. when I am unsure what I need – they are there5. when I want to pick it (tackle) up & play with it – they are there6. when the weather’s crap & I want to bum around – they are thereCant do that on eBay or at Big W & KmartBuy local & keep them there I sayYorky

Your so right Yorky,You may buy the equiptment you are looking for cheaper on ebay.But you can't get information and advice on ebay,The bait shops i deal with have some great guys and always willing to help you out and give you advice.If you go there looking at rods and then go back and tell them you have got a rod already and need a reel thats not loyalty to your local tackle shop and why should they give you advice if you are not willing to spend your money in their shop.I'm not saying you have to buy all your rods and reels of them,just when you buy a new rod or reel.Every couple of months i get a new rod and reel and i wouldn't go any where else to buy them.When buying off your local tackle shop at least you know your getting good quality stuff.I brought a combo off of ebay and it lasted me a month and the tip broke off.Now if i brought it off of my tackle shop i could have got it repaired but no ebay dont do repairs.So i would stick to your local tackle shop fishos.I don't know where i would be with out my local tackle shop.Thats my opinion any way.Marc.

Chinu wrote:

I went to my favorite tackle shop today, getting ready for my next fishing trip.i was looking for a new rod to catch bass with, the shop assistant showed me all these great rods to choose from, explained how to catch bass and what best suited where i was fishing. showed me the lures to use. i then went to the internet and bought the same rod for $30 dolars less.... what a bargain even with the postagei returned to my favorite tackle shop and looked for a reel to put on my new rod, i handled a few to get the best feel and the assistant showed me what was good about a few different models. the assitant help me decide on the right line and what leader i would require to catch myself a trophy bass, the knots i would need to fish with and how to care for the reel .... i then went and bought the same reel of the internet and i got the line free that i required ..... thats greati returned to my tackle shop today to get a few lures to catch bass ..... they had closed

Your part of the reason why they went broke, he was drawing wages while giving you info and has to run a shop.While the ebay guy, in most cases never see the product that you have purchase as it comes from the manufacture or wholesaler dir to you.I'm also guilty of buying through ebay, but if I want product service, I try and buy local and suport our local industry B)
Guest lloydy

Maybe our local store should read this,4 times i tried to spend $1400 on a new yak last month, and got nothing but crap service 4 times,5th time i took my pocket full of cash to the City, they were more than happy to supply some basic service for their money....

Certainly seems to be strange like that sometimes......I have walked into a certain store a number of times over the last 12 months or so,and the sales guys (5 of them !) just look at you, and continue their conversation......I was only browsing a couple of times,but the others were for intended purchases.......If they'd said "G'day,can I help ya mate"?,and you declined as you were only browsing,go ahead and chat all you want........hmmmmmmmmmmmm,too much cash in their pockets????.....obviously though,they are payed employees,and not the owners or employees that have money invested in the business.The worst part of it though,when you did actually sample their "customer service",they would talk down to you as if you were a child......very condescending indeed....and they charged like wounded bulls as well :ohmy: They are now off my Xmas card list,and a lot of guy's I know refuse to go there after experiencing similar issues.........wake up guy's :) If any of those "salesmen" are on this forum,and you'll know who you are,hopefully,you'll lift your game,even if only for the sake of your employer,as I'll never be in there again :laugh: I feel better now :)

agree 100% with you there Waterboy.........I have no qualms in paying "a bit more" for good service,friendly staff and a bit of a chat ;) it's the "big guy's" that let the "little guy's" down........yes,they are well credentialled and experienced fisho's that have "been there done that got the scars to prove it"......why do they have to be such knobs about it :P rant over.......someone else have a go :laugh:

Guest SnappaHunta
Johnny Rotten wrote:

Certainly seems to be strange like that sometimes......I have walked into a certain store a number of times over the last 12 months or so,and the sales guys (5 of them !) just look at you, and continue their conversation......I was only browsing a couple of times,but the others were for intended purchases.......If they'd said "G'day,can I help ya mate"?,and you declined as you were only browsing,go ahead and chat all you want........hmmmmmmmmmmmm,too much cash in their pockets????.....obviously though,they are payed employees,and not the owners or employees that have money invested in the business.The worst part of it though,when you did actually sample their "customer service",they would talk down to you as if you were a child......very condescending indeed....and they charged like wounded bulls as well :ohmy: They are now off my Xmas card list,and a lot of guy's I know refuse to go there after experiencing similar issues.........wake up guy's :) If any of those "salesmen" are on this forum,and you'll know who you are,hopefully,you'll lift your game,even if only for the sake of your employer,as I'll never be in there again :laugh: I feel better now :)

I reckon I know the place and I'm glad it's not just me! The arrogance is infuriating, they are off my list too. I actually can't express how much I hate the place for exactly the reasons you give. As I said in my earlier post, love the tackle & tucka family for all the down to earth helpful advice, couldn't speak more highly of them, and I don't have a thing to gain from saying it.

i think you will find guys that chinu works at said tackle store and was making a point ;) having said that i only buy at tackle stores and not just one of them either as not anyone has all the things i require at all times of year for all fishing requirments,, k mart has nothing i need and big w has less,and the so called fishing stores like BCF and RAYS has nothing for me either as i like to talk fishing to the people im purchasing fishing gear from..as for the shop with attitude i think we have all been there at sometime or other and with no affiliation to any tackle store i find the lads at tackle world salisbury very helpfull and pretty decent to chin wag with ;) and also nth haven tackle and tucker always willing to chat or laugh at me going out in weather i really shouldnt be :P or returning soaking wet for doing it :laugh::laugh:

I live up north, and my nearest reputable store is Salisbury Tackleworld, so I've been shopping there for some time now.I was in there today, to finally get my Saltiga outfit off layby, and to pick up a few things for a trip I'm doing next weekend.The bill came to $130, so I pulled out my credit card. A replacement card for my damaged one, and a new card I'd only had activated that very morning.After a few swipes of the card the machine kept denying the transaction, and a call to the bank proved no more helpful, as they insisted the card was fine.Without any money actually changing hands, and the store owner knowing full well that I had a big trip planned, he told me to just take the gear, and we'd sort out the problem at a later date. That's a $1500 outfit, over $100 of line and assorted teminal gear! I was also even given a coffee and some advice on the fish I was intending to chase! :blink: THAT IS THE SORTA SERVICE THAT DEALING WITH LOCALS BRINGS! I support my local, and I get rewards, service and good advice in the process. That's something I'd hate to lose, and that's something I can't buy on ebay!Let's see BCF, K-Mart or Rays Outdoors hand over nearly $2k worth of goods and tell you that you can pay for it later!

I use several local tackle stores.salisbury tackle world kym,dubs,and staff are great.big rob at the dorsil fin what gentleman he is. if i go there i end up staying there longer than i intend too.he has so many stories too tell.st kilda,tackle and tucker north haven,known colin from when he used too work at salisbury tackle box.all little fish in a big pond.i support the aussie battler.

Ranger wrote:

I support my local, and I get rewards, service and good advice in the process. That's something I'd hate to lose, and that's something I can't buy on ebay!

Exactly right Ranger,and well said ;) ......as usual.You know the funny thing,since my original posting within this thread,without having named said store / "sales-persons"......everyone seems to know exactly who I'm referring to ;) Glad to hear that I'm not the only one ,and not just me having a whinge :P .......goes to show you just how "wrong" they have it :angry: ........still,they are still making a profit,and doing well I guess.......just imagine how they could be doing with personable sales staff :kiss:
carps wrote:

i think you will find guys that chinu works at said tackle store and was making a point ;)

I'm missing something here, It started of about getting service at a favorite tackle store and buying on ebay at a cheaper price and then quotes this ........this is an opinion not a fact ..........So what store did chinu work at?

OK .......so after reading all the previous posts there is a good lesson here for any business owner or employee dealing with customers ......there are 3000 people on this forum that may/have visited your store(whatever or wherever it may be)......and whether your service be good or bad have come back to this forum and told 3000+ others/potential customers about there shopping experience in your store..........ps thumbs up for 'complete angler' on beach road christies beach......these guys have provided me with great service,competitive prices and good advice. ;) as for ebay.......no thanks, been stung there before on something non fishing related and will never buy anything again.

I know some here have obviously realised this, but for those that dont seem to have grasped it. Simon's scenario is hypothetical, and his employers store has not been closed down, hence; "this is an OPINION, NOT a FACT".Getting advice, having a play and sorting out what you want only to turn around and buy OS and undercut ya local is just dirty. If your going to buy OS just leave the locals out of it... anyone ever heard of 'blue balls'? Surely its a similar scenario,,, lmao.

Guest pin point
Station49 wrote:

I know some here have obviously realised this, but for those that dont seem to have grasped it. Simon's scenario is hypothetical, and his employers store has not been closed down, hence; "this is an OPINION, NOT a FACT".Getting advice, having a play and sorting out what you want only to turn around and buy OS and undercut ya local is just dirty. If your going to buy OS just leave the locals out of it... anyone ever heard of 'blue balls'? Surely its a similar scenario,,, lmao.

well said!
Waterboy wrote:

Hey KK, it's Anglers Choice :P:laugh::laugh: Another thing to remember that all the said tackle stores especially Salisbury Tackle World support events such as the SABT and LMLFC events with goods and ongoing support ;) Mark

OH SHIT....sorry mark ........yeah anglers choice :blush: .......ya think i would know the name of the joint after spending about 1500 bucks in there in the last few months lol

You can sort of understand why people do it though with how much it costs to live, raise a family etc these days, i mean how else are you gonna have a feel play and look at your next purchase if buyin off the net? If people can save $100 bucks to go towards other expeenses they are more than likely gonna do it. Also which fishing store is being referred to with the 5 rude staff? just interested to knowCheers, Ben

Guest SnappaHunta

I'd rather talk up the good guys out there.I grab braid in bulk off the Internet, but there is a difference between that and what CHINKU was on about.Also, tackle stores are a niche small business. No excuse for wasting there time and spending your cash elsewhere. Low act, and let's face it, the mark up on a Stella reel can't be that much? I'm sure a tackle guy will tell me it's under $50. The cost of $30 buck saving is eventually this;1. I'll be buying Chinese cockles at the servo for $50 a bag.2. Do you think The guy at big W will replace the guides on my favourite rod3. The BCF casual will know exactly what colour lure the Bream are eating4. Oh and the vending machine at the boat ramp is an awesome conversationalist, knows all about the old bloke who bagged out on snapper at becon 4 the previous day.

Only reason i say this is because there is only 1 will buy from and this shop usually has about 5 staff workin there. Im wondering if you are talking about this tackle shop where i am known on a first name basis, get wicked discount from and have picked up so many hints and tips from the boys workin there that i am certain they have helped me to become a better fisho.

dont be presuming you know who it is being spoken of unless you have been told directly as this will just cause a shit fight that is not warranted or needed i think everyone would agree there are good and bad stores and we will never all agree witch is witch so talk em up fellas try not to talk em down on here,, we will all never agree ;)

SABT is supported by the south australian tackle industry altho some stores have decided not to support us we always get a warm welcome when we go into any of the stores,SUPPORT THE TEAM THAT SUPPORTS YOUR STATE because with out them we would not be were we are today...SABT SPONSORSsport fishing scene cavanfishermans paradiseengelclub marineshimanorapala freetimepure fishingkoolabung luresstrikepro lures wilsonpacific marineAIBCwe are supported by lots of stores in south aust putting up our posters and such eg: tackle world salisbury, ray and annes,gotone,etc and we thank all of them for there support to...RegardsSABT

carps wrote:

dont be presuming you know who it is being spoken of unless you have been told directly as this will just cause a shit fight that is not warranted or needed i think everyone would agree there are good and bad stores and we will never all agree witch is witch so talk em up fellas try not to talk em down on here,, we will all never agree ;)

as I stated before.......no name and shame ;)
Guest SnappaHunta
Ben m wrote:

Just last week they sold my workmate who had never even set foot in there before a $269 tuff tackle reel for $100. This blokes only been fishin a few months as well, hence the reason i find a few comments on here mildly amusing.

so tell about this great place then, so we can check it out. Is it sports fishing scene? Cause I've never been there, sounds good mate,

Yes it is the sportfishing scene, i love the place and have been shoppin there since i was a kid, they support the sabt comps i fish, that being another reason i love shoppin there. And with Daz workin there im sure everyone that does fish the SABT gets looked after well like hes done for me. Myself and Leethal often have not got out onto the water at our desired time because weve been stuck talkin with one of the older boys about rod buildin or plastics fishin Mallacoota etc etc. Its great though plenty to be learnt from them.