"the containers" snapper drop

Guest SnappaHunta

Guest SnappaHunta

Obviously no one here is going to give me the GPS co- ords for the "containers"?????? Hahaha??Anyway, if anyone has any stories to tell, I would love to here them, is the spot that good?To me it's a mythical fishing paradise where the sounder is always full o fish and they are all big angry looking 14 kg mnsters :):)so the story goes that some inteepid fisherman went out and located the containers that fell off a ship in our gulf 5 or so years back... And they are now full of growth and firing.I have tried to twist the arm of a bloke who I know fishes there regularly, but to no avail, I also read about the container incident, but for me it's like searching for a needle in a hay stack.If you know it, please let us know If it's as good as I imagine, otherwise, I thought it was a pretty interesting story to post.Oh o reckon they must be about 30 km out from nth haven :)

Those containers Dubs is talking about at ardrossan are very close to jetty.they didnt fall off a ship they were put there.I have a mate who plays footy for ardrossan.He has that mark and will not give it too me.He has fished it twice in last two weeks.First trip he landed 48 leagal snapper. Next trip 5 days later boat limit of KGs,22 squid,18 snapper that was a 3 hour trip. H

Guest SnappaHunta

I had a feeling this spot might be well known to most and I was out of the loop, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.Very interested re: ardrossan spots, but I'm positive these are closer to Adelaide than the ardrossan barges. Infact this blokes words to me when I mentioned the John Robb were " the only metro drop I bother with these days is The Containers".Love the idea of it anyway, and as time goes by, I'm sure plenty of us have our own containers type drop :)When Dubs posted his metro snapper report, the thought crossed my mind " I bet that bugga went to the containers" hahaha :):):):)

SnappaHunta wrote:

I had a feeling this spot might be well known to most and I was out of the loop, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.Very interested re: ardrossan spots, but I'm positive these are closer to Adelaide than the ardrossan barges. Infact this blokes words to me when I mentioned the John Robb were " the only metro drop I bother with these days is The Containers".Love the idea of it anyway, and as time goes by, I'm sure plenty of us have our own containers type drop :)When Dubs posted his metro snapper report, the thought crossed my mind " I bet that bugga went to the containers" hahaha :):):):)

One question I have is where does the Metro area supposedly end. Ie I know there is no line of course, but where does the metro area finish and out wide begin?Are you still fishing metro if you are on Trolleys out past 20clicks for example? Or if you are on one of the deeper drops off Wirrina is that still metro say 15clicks plus out.Being a keen snapper fisho, there needs to be some form of unwritten agreement between us snapper fishos or a guide ie past 20clicks is just not metro...who knows hey??? Maybe if your past the half way mark of the gulf your no longer still fishing metro???There are heaps of metro marks that are still really worth fishing. ie Clarries etc
Guest SnappaHunta
coonta kinta wrote:

urhookedfish wrote:

Being a keen snapper fisho, there needs to be some form of unwritten agreement between us snapper fishos or a guide

Why? :huh:
I know what you mean UHF. It's funny how our boundaries get wider and wider. Like fishing the illusions from pt broughton when it's probably closer to the opposite peninsular, wedje island is similar being a destination from Lincoln or yorkes.Back our way the ardrossan barges is a realistic drop from st kilda or nth haven for many now a days.On I-fish they fished from glenelg one episode, but a two and a half hour boat trip is not exactly local, but I guess it is to some. For me I guess a 30km radius from launch is probably our range ( fuel and experience taken into account) but to many the only limit is the fuel on board and the weather :)I put a report up from my dads recent Marion bay trip, not that helpful really when he couldve been in investigator straight Bstairs passage, Vincent gulf or around haystack island for all anyone knew :):)got to admit we've got it good in SA :)

yup i say you are fishing metro if you leave from metro evryones boats are diff and therefore everyones metro is diff, for example when you read in the paper there are great numbers of snapper being caught of st kilda do you really think they are coming from the black pole :unsure: well they are being caught of st kilda but thirty ks of st kilda,still of st kilda :laugh::laugh:

OLD SALTY wrote:

I must admit im calling trips i do 30km out local and im prolly gettin closer to yorkses than adelaide. My normal lcal haunts are 15mins from the ramp! As more people venture further out the term "local" means ur launching place lol

local seems to be relative to (a) whether you have a boat, (B) what size boat... so my 4 meter runabout has not got much range. :angry:;):unsure:
SnappaHunta wrote:

To me it's a mythical fishing paradise where the sounder is always full o fish and they are all big angry looking 14 kg mnsters :):)

I heard that it was out by Lasseters Reef,just South of Brigadoon.Sorry,I couldn't resist :P I'm thinking you've got 2 chances of getting a GPS mark.1) None2) Bugger all I don't know either :kiss:
Guest SnappaHunta
WilliamPerry wrote:

SnappaHunta wrote:

To me it's a mythical fishing paradise where the sounder is always full o fish and they are all big angry looking 14 kg mnsters :):)

I heard that it was out by Lasseters Reef,just South of Brigadoon.Sorry,I couldn't resist :P I'm thinking you've got 2 chances of getting a GPS mark.1) None2) Bugger all I don't know either :kiss:
hahaha maybe someone sent me a personal message and I'm out there now catching big knobbies in the rain :P:P ... Or maybe your right lol
Guest SnappaHunta
Dubs The Tackle Man wrote:

Mancini wrote:

i too have heard of this mythical place and have spent many an hour sounding in the supposed direction NW from nth haven & approx 30 km off shore only to find water and more water. ;);)

? not looking in the right spot
Mancini - you probably saw us out there doing same thing hahaha lucky we don't crash into one another whilst staring at the sounder. :) but that's the only clue I've got as to there location.Since those containers full of ammmonia Nitrate fell off a ship on the east coast last year any google search brings it up, can't even remember where on the web I read it.DUBS - the man who told me (but with a wink, a wry smile and no co-ords) is a tackle man such as yourself, so it's no suprise to me if your on to the bloody things by now :):):)
  • 5 years later...

There are so many drops out there, and a lot of assumptions are made as to what the drop may consist of.

Remember the Pallets, supposed to be 100s of wooden pallets all weighed down. What a load of rubbish! Imagine the logistics of transporting that many pallets and the weight necessary to keep them on the bottom. If a shipping container was to fall off a ship it would be well documented. And for an individual or a group of recreational fishers to take a container out and sink it, well that is a good one and if you believe that ....... well what can one say.

Not all, but most drops out local are made of milk crates tied together and weighed down, shopping trolleys, washing machines/dryers or small boats that are purposefully sunk. I have looked at many drops with a camera and I can vouch for what I have said here!

Second Boat_Auds_3.jpg

Found2_1.jpg

The shipping containers off Ardrossan ....errr... :lol:

Container ships don't even go anywhere near Adrossan,maybe its containers of some form or another but shipping containers? Could for all money be a load of ice cream containers ,and from what I"ve seen of some of the people that frequent that jetty more than likely Hydroponic  pots. :P

not true no containers at ardossan but plenty other wrecks if anyone thinks this is true your being fooled. 

Not sure what you are saying here JAYMAN? You believe there are shipping containers or not? But I definitely agree with the statement "plenty of other wrecks" at Ardrossan. I reckon if Noah came back and parted the water you could hop, skip and jump across the drops out there. Oh, and if you believe that crap about Noah.... you ARE being fooled!

I worked in the Grain industry Silos through out the state for about 20 years and then also worked in bulk loading (ships ).

Ships that go to Ardrossan sometimes  Do have containers on board. Container ships do not go to Ardrossan.

If a ship drops a container, they float, even in the unlikely scenario that both doors are open.

If a container is full of lets  say lead then it becomes an insurance issue and possible salvage issues arise as well as goverment enviromental issues.

Its mandotary for a ships captian to report spillage in state waters especially something of that size due to being a shipping hazard.

Over the years  working at height, you see many things being taken to sea a night but never a shipping container.

i fished the parham car bodies 5 times last two seasons and have only seen 1, 6 m fishhunter with 3 italian looking fellas hauling whiting, all well aged gentlemen,not to many recos got this one, 20 carbodies mostly kingswoods stacked 3 high,and been sitting in the water since the 70's or 80's so a well established wreck,that not to many fishos no about ,with all the technology and seabed mapping, radars ,word of mouth etc,most wrecks and drops and  are unable to hide ,

There's plenty of containers throughout St Vinnies Gulf from out off Cape Jervis through to the top of the Gulf.  Most were sunk by pros' many years ago and a lot have slowly sunk into the sand or corroded away.  Some stand up to 1 or 3 foot above the bottom and still hold fish.  There also used to be a bloke employed to shoot holes infloating containers with a shottie so they would sink.  GSpot area was supposed to be made up of 100's of pallets as mentioned.  I have something like 30 odd marks for that area alone but most seem to be just coral bottom.  I won't know until I drop the GoPro down for a look.

Here's a couple of images of the GSpot area... the spikes clearly show it is porous coral as the porosity confuses the  algorythms of the sounder

gspot22_zps23cqbpvk.jpg

GSPOT22A_zpsyxny8pc8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...