depends on what size ur looking for m8 but motor is number 1 pority so newer the better also take it for a test drive b4 buying make sure its not taking water and dont rush out far off shore until u know the boat abit and all its little querks ;) gd luck and safe boating m8 :)

Not being a boatie myself,I would suggest the first logical question you should ask is "where am I going to be using it"? eg open sea,sheltered waters,estaury or river etcThat to me, would determine what sort of boat I should be looking at eg dinghy or full cab or what-ever.How often are you looking at going out?This could also determine if it would be better to either go "shares" in a boat with a mate,or just "bum a ride" every now and then,paying your expenses along the way,or simply go on a charter every once in a while.Hope that helps with the logic behind it all a bit ;)

Guest SnappaHunta
fish-on wrote:

hi guys im looking to buy a boat. i have no experiance with them i dont even know what to look for. im looking to pay around $3500. could anyone give me some pointer on what i should be looking for and what questions i should be asking. thank to allfish-on

well I'm looking to sell my boat. If I did it up a bit ie clean it and touch it up I would want 5k. I'm not actually advertising it, but if you were interested, you could have a look and take it out for a fish and I'd let it go for $3500.It's an old 80s stejcraft 4.5m with a 50hp 2000 evinrude. Reg 12mnths, all safety gear, 3x 22.5 ltr fuel tanks and sounder. It is grubby as, used to have a cabin which was cut in half for more fishing room. I use it in close around the port and outer harbour st kilda etc.I love it, but my old mans got a big boat now, and I will get a tinnie for in and around the mangrove creeks and the port. That's only reason for selling it.It's called the GRUB it's my first boat and heaps o fish have come aboard :)you really have to think what KIND of boat you want but ie for deep water, for sheltered bays breakwaters, or a tinnie for right in close and tie ing up to stuff

Fish-on, you've got a lot to consider. Buying a boat is much harder than buying a car, and you really need to research it well.You need to consider:Where you're going to fishWhat species you are gonna targetHow many passengers you will carryWhat configuration will suit your needs bestWhat tow vehicle you haveStorage and garaging requirementsPlus a whole lot moreYou not only have to consider the boat, but also whether the motor is correctly powered for the hull and reliable, and the trailer it's sitting on is also a big concern many overlook.$3500 is a pretty tight budget for ANY boat, and you really dont get much for that price.If you'd like to chat about it at some stage, and maybe have your eyes opened to a few things you havent even considered yet, gimme a bell and maybe we can catch up to discuss it a little further.I think as things stand though, $3500 is only gonna get you about a 12' tinny which will only really be good for two people in protected waters or calm conditions, or an old fibreglass half cab which is gonna need quite a bit of work and dollars spent on it.

Guest lloydy

Theres a very nice Fibreglass boat down the road from me for sale,Looks pretty sweet package, 25hp forward controls etc, ill try and snap a picture for you monday, its $3900 iam pretty sure, but $3500 would get it, Its a well looked after decent boat, not something thats been sitting in someones back yard for years, (gotta be carefull of those boats) cause they can turn into money pits real quick,Cheers

Guest SnappaHunta

Yeah, I would take someone like ranger up on his offer of a chat.Main tips I would give you would be;1. Take it on the water before you buy it!2. Take someone who knows boats to check it out before you buy.Realistically $3500 is not going to get you an all-rounder. If you want a boat to go off shore, you need safety. A boat isn't like a car... You can't get out and push :):) having said that I went out off Balgowan in the GRUB not long after buying it... But I'm an idiot :) :)having said this, a boat in your price range can be ideal to get out and about a bit, get used to navigating, finding fish and reading the water. My boat did this job for me and my dad. He knew he wanted something to get out and chase snapper etc. And I'm going to be taking the other road ( having time only for regular short trips) and searching for a tinnie to whack a electric on the front and explore little creeks etc. Good luck with the boat hunt, there are plenty of okay boats out there under five grand.

G'day fish on,I asked a similar question some months ago and the advice was as you have recvd -and it's spot-on. I ended up with a 4m tinny @ $6,800.To get an idea what you may get for your $$s, log onto the Trading Post 'power boats', or www.boatsales.com or any of the local marine dealers' websites and you should gain a lot of info.As a beginner, I was consistently advised to run with a tinny first up as they can take a bit of a knock or two without too much damage. Oh yes,just make sure the battery can hold a charge :blush: And it's so very true, you don't have to go way out to catch a decent feed. Have regularly caught good sized KGs etc less than 500 mtrs of the shore out from Pt Hughes, Wallaroo areas. Often with big boats fishing alongside blokes who have rowed out.Take the advice of the experienced blokes above and you'll have a lot of fun.CheersBrian.

Guest SnappaHunta
fish-on wrote:

thanks snappahunta i might take you up on that offer. could it be possible to put some photos up for me. will this boat go out to seas in calm weather. fish-on

I will get some pics up today. I've been out past the black pole and 10km to sea off balgowan, but since being in a few BIG seas with my dad in his boat, I only take it around close. :)I'll stick the pics up and if it looks okay to you, we can head out for bit of a run ( and take a rod or two) :)

as staited earlier MOTOR reliabilty is the most important part in my eyes snaperhunters has a 2000 model motor on it and for $3500 u dont get much it would definatly be worth a look at(and no i dont no him and have never met him)plus the fact hes willing to take u out is saying theres no little $3000 prob thats gonna turn it in to a $6500 ;) 1 thing to keep in mind if u buy a cheap boat it will cost u money same as dear 1s i payed $13500 for my new boat and have spent close to $1500 on it in 2 years B O A T stands for bring out another thousand lol gd luck in ur search m8ps if ur living nth of adelaide and need help or advise pm me always happy to help ;)

I used to think the motor is the most important, and it probs is for a boat that is under 5K. But as soon as you start spending more cash, the hull type and condition is more important IMO. You can always get a new motor,( as I did on my tub) but a rotten transom or floor is a pain. You get a hull that doesnt handle the conditons you want to go out in or go where you want it to, you may as well start again.Do the research bloke, and dont be affraid to get one from interstate once you know what to look for. The eastern states has many more to choose from and thus cheaper.There is a very neat 15ft ish half cab for sale at darlington in the carpark behind the old Police station on south rd. Looks real neat, orange nd white, didnt see what motor is on it, has $3500 written on the window.Im a big believer of shopping around and you can find a good affordable boat by looking hard and a bit of luck.

Guest SnappaHunta

Okay, I'll give these pics a crack, the Evinrude is actually 98, 99 or 2000, the guy I bought it from told me 2000, but I'm not 100%.Like I say she's no oil painting, but she's a fish catcher. I live north, so if you want you can send me PM and I'll give you my phone number and address. I'm on leave this week, so anytimes good.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image haha I've got a 75cm snappa I tried to post, but I only know how to upload pics from my phone :) so I'll pretend the snapper photo was really a 20 pounder and give you the little ST photo from outer harbour breakwater instead :P:P