Lot harder than I thaught

I took my 5 year old daughter fishing to the port area today but found getting access to the water rather hard. Every where I thaught looked good on google maps had some sort of blockage like gates, fences ext. I can see I will have to spend a few hours driving the area to find spots to take her next time. They get rather bored driving but the spot we did fish she enjoyed.

If the fences have a hole in them, I call it a gate!Your right though the ports getting more and more annoying, I dont know what the fishings like but if you go to the end of Grand Trunkway theres a big park, some very average toilets and a big bank or boardwalk to fish from, you often see people launching boats or kayak tours from here. Ive seen the Dolphines around here plenty as well as stingrays under the boardwalk.

Guest SnappaHunta

Well I went out this morning and the gates between port river and westlakes were shut, I still fished that whole area, even under the train bridge. I whipped the water up to a froth the amount of plastics I cast, all for a big fat donut hahaha then to add insult to injury my mate landed a salmon trout on a fly!!!That's fishing i spose :) Agree that the land based options are getting smaller, hope the lttle one had fun :)

I agree that the Port is all but gone for the land-based fisho these days.Even if you do manage to find a spot,the chances of meeting the "un-desirables that dwell after dark" is extremely high.I tend to think about giving it a miss these days,and head further afield.Unfortunate,but true.Probably WestLakes as previously mentioned is your best bet.Nothing like your kids getting their first fish ;) Good luck.

Not a bad looking spot that one. Where was that one taken from?I wouldnt mind trying some fishing in the port river soon. I havent fished it for many many years.A big well done for putting a smile on her face. Oh yeah shes enjoying being out with dad. I think theres nothing better than fishing out the back of the truck too.fantastic. Just add a bucket of KFC in the back and a thermos of hot coffee and Id be set for the arvo/evening chasing those mullies on live bait. who needs a boat from that spot...is it deep water right there?

Looks like Vietch rd, next to ASC,If so, at the wall the water is only a couple metres deep at the higest of tides for about 20m.The "beach" below is exposed at low tide.Then you get to the edge of the channel which eventually drops to over 10m.Good work with the young one. Im hoping my littel girl will like to go fishing with the old man. I took her out in my tub once in the port, she loved it. So much so she had a massive tantrum when I wouldnt let her steer ( she was just over 1 year old at the time). Between trying to steer, play with the sounder and nearly beaching us, it was a quick trip. :laugh: :laugh: cant wait till she is older and understands more than "bot, bot" or "ish, ish" when pointing at the boat in the back yard or the aquarium.Good work bloke ;)

Yeh thats the spot just up from the tugs. The ship that came through with the wave it put out im glad the wall was as tall as it is. Might try some bait and burly there as the plastics did not get any attention. I do love fishing with plastics with kids because they love to wind in all the time and that gives them a fantastic action. Just makes dads job of casting a bit more constant. The thernos would have been a good idea was a little chilly on Saturday with the wind.