De barbing rays?

RogerG wrote:

RangerYou have, obviously, only read the brief description of the Bill.It means "As well as" Animals used for scientifc purposes. NOT "only for"3 Purposes of Act12 The purposes of this Act are to do the following:13 (a) promote the responsible care and use of animals;14 (B) provide standards for the care and use of animals that:15 (i) where it is deemed necessary to capture and kill wildlife,16 only those devices and techniques should be used which17 do not inflict unnecessary cruelty, harm non-target18 animals or damage natural habitat;19 (ii) prohibit the capture and killing of wild animals for20 the purpose of entertainment or sport;21 (iii) ensure that, in the implementation of the matters22 contained in paragraphs (i) and (ii), all necessary23 measures shall be taken to protect habitat and24 ecosystems;25 © protect animals from unjustifiable, unnecessary or26 unreasonable pain;27 (d) ensure the use of animals for scientific purposes is28 accountable, open and responsible.29 4This bill has been greatly fragmented, with some parts passed, such as the docking of dogs ears and tails. And some parts not yet passed such as the mulesing of sheep. However the maiming of live animals for amusement or sport is not only illegal but cruel and immoral. It also carries heavy fines if you are caught.RogerG

Roger you are correct, I have only briefly read parts of this bill.I'm also surprised that, if this is in fact the case, why PIRSA made no mention of it whatsoever in their own reply when I posed your views to them for clarification? And why, on the contrary, they informed us there is a Commonwealth (federal) law which applies ONLY to licensed commercial fishermen operating in commonwealth waters, but here in SA our state law provide no restrictions on rays in our state waters!http://www.strikehook.com/forum/74-pirsa-fisheries/114372-federal-laws

There is a Commonwealth (Federal) Law in regards to the removal of fins from sharks, however this applies to Commonwealth Licensed commercial fisherman, fishing in commonwealth waters only, (being 3nm - 200nm from shore in SA). The regulations are located as part of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery 2010 Management Arrangements and not adhering to them is a breach of the fisherman's licence condition. As far as state law, under the Fisheries Management Act 2007, which applies to both state licensed commercial and recreational fishers, the only law we have is in regards to mutilation of fish at sea. This covers all sharks, not rays, as well as those fish that have a minimum size limit.

Maybe if you wouldn't mind, your suggestion about this act governing us should be made in the aforesaid thread, to see what PIRSA have to say about it a second time around, to help clear any confusion on the matter?
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.strikehook.com/forum/74-pirsa-fisheries/114372-federal-lawsFrom PIRSA:

In reference to the NATIONAL ANIMAL WELFARE BILL 2005, which has previously been mentioned, you will note that it is a 'Bill", not an "Act". Whilst I am certainly not an expert when it comes to Parliamentary proceedings, a 'Bill" is not actual Law, rather a proposal for a law, or legislation, that is introduced into Parliament. Bills are considered consecutively by the two Houses of the Federal Parliament, the House of Representatives and the Senate. The two Houses must agree to a bill in identical terms before it can be transmitted to the Governor-General for assent, which marks its passage into law. This is a very lengthy process and can result in many changes and many Bills not being passed at all or in their entirety. From all the information I can find, this Bill has never been passed and thus not enacted as Law.In South Australia, we already have a similar Act, being the Animal Welfare Act 1985. In the interpretations of this act, you will find that it refers to the definition of an animal, as being a member of any species of the sub-phylum vertebrata except—(a) a human being; or(B) a fish,and includes any prescribed animal;Previously stated is all the Fisheries Laws that apply in this state, in regards to the mutilation of fish.Thus, there is no law preventing the action of removing a barb of a stingray and releasing it.Whilst I am not going to comment on whether it is right or not to debarb a Stingray, a couple of points of interest that I have found in relation to Stingray Barbs:Stingray barbs are made of a dentine and enamel-like material, similar to the tooth-like scales on sharks. They do grow back. These spines are found on the top side of the tail.A stingray often loses its spine when it injures another creature. This occurs largely due to the relatively weak connection between the spine and the tail, the often surprising force of this defensive reaction and the anchor-like teeth of the spine, which tend to lodge in tissue like a series of arrowheads or fishhook barbs.A stingray is relatively unaffected by the loss of its spine because the spine is connected to the tail by only a small amount of connective tissue. Loss of a spine usually results in spine replacement within a short period. In fact, some stingray species replace their spines on an annual basis.

Seems we can all learn a thing or two, and it's nice to know we have the fisheries representatives here to help out when required.Regardless of our own individual views, it is certainly not illegal, and it seems far less damage is done to the animal than some of us may have realised.We could moralise about the subject for ever, but I think at the end of the day it is really the law which governs our activities, and dictates what we can and cannot do out there.
  • 3 weeks later...

Cweed..we used to trawl up big stingers while prawning up the gulf,quite a few have healed stumps,where they obviously been chopped.its a bad situation when you have a massive ray on your hopper,when all you want to do is get it, and any other fish back in the water alive.they were obviously stressen,and trying to stab us with their barbs..we would put our crab rakes on the tail and just grab and snap off how ever many barbs they had on them..no you dont need to cut the tail..if you snap them straight back they come off easy..and they will grow more.