18hrs driving, 3 days fishing, take boat???

This is a general vote on weather i take the BC to streaky bay for 4 nites and three days fishing. Ive never done the trip so im not sure weather its worth towing the boat all that way for a limited time. Will it be worth it?? not sure sooo im running a vote system on weather i take it or not. ill tally and with 2 weeks to go ill make decision based on votes as i can't decide. Slack hell yes interesting topic for S&H well maybe anyways let me know what ya think with a yay or nay.cheers OS

I would take my boat for the 3 days, it's a 8 hr drive one way. B) Just make sure that tyres, brakes, wheel bearing and ect are in good order. You have a spares list, such as spare wheel, wheel bearing kit and grease. The boat should be in good order as u are using it all the time and u had it serviced.Cheapest fuel is at Pt Augusta. Poochera is normaly dearer than Streaky Bay.It would be half an hour difference between towing your boat and not. Next town Kimba and on to Streaky Bay Posted Image :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

REG1.JPG

mate as if you leave the mighty bar crusher home. I have towed a 5m quintrex over there quite a few times . I was only going to Venus Bay not Steaky but its only like an hour give or take difference. The roads are fine, nice and smooth so you will definately regret not taking it . Take the mighty Bar Crusher for the road trip . B)B)

Hi OS.Ive done trips over there both with and without a boat. Personally as you're only going for a short time, Id leave the boat at home and make it a "suss out" trip.At least then you'll know more where you're at for next time and you may be able to do a longer trip next time with the boat and turn the bad weather odds in your favor :huh: There's stacks to do there with or without a boat, and dont forget about the cray spot near the beach I mentioned ;)

long way to go for a short time, if you don't reckon you will get back there again any time in the near future take the boat, otherwise as AFF said you could make this one a trip to sus things out. Take a drive around to Scaeles Bay while you are there, very deep water, close to shore straight out from the ramp.

Righto its 5-2 in favour of taking it. Im gonna leave it right up to the day before i leave to make the final call so i can get the best weather data i can , willy,bom,seabreeze etc if its good ill consider taking it, if its crap then it'll stay (dutchy mate, u got off street parking :laugh::laugh::laugh: )The likely hood of my return with the boat to that part of the world within the next year for an extended period of time is slim to none.....hmmmmmmm :huh::unsure:

OLD SALTY wrote:

Righto its 5-2 in favour of taking it. Im gonna leave it right up to the day before i leave to make the final call so i can get the best weather data i can , willy,bom,seabreeze etc if its good ill consider taking it, if its crap then it'll stay (dutchy mate, u got off street parking :laugh::laugh::laugh: )The likely hood of my return with the boat to that part of the world within the next year for an extended period of time is slim to none.....hmmmmmmm :huh::unsure:

I think I would do the same, good idea B)
Guest boys day out

Nah, leave the boat home. Why take the boat along. You might catch some fish and if that happens you will be stuck cleaning them and then what? The family will expect you to catch more fish - clean them - clean the boat - tow the boat - launch the boat - find the fish - catch the fish and it starts all over again. I'm tired just thinking about it. No - leave the boat home..... :)

Take the boat mate you will kick your self if you leave it home especially if the weather turns out ok. The trip over is easy towing good roads. The best thing is the fishing its great. Make sure you grab some razor fish while your there. Lots of them and bloody huge. Have fun.

A BC did you say? Launch at Sceale, or get out to Olive Island from Streaky and explore!Unless the forecast is absolutely ka-ka you`d be insane to head off there leaving the boat behind, a BC at that...PS Been there twice (with boat, of course) and a bit underwhelmed with the immediate Streaky fishing environs. Have moved on elsewhere since - fish "outside" if you can.If the weather is a bit average ask about "the bushes". Enjoy!

Gday kon, cheers mate ive been lookin at olive island very closely cs its easy in range in good weather. Having never fished there before its gonna be great to explore. Any tips on what winds ill be looking for to get out there? Thinking anything from the south tru west to North would be average?cheers OS

OS - can`t give you any hints on the Olive fishing environs, only been out there once in a mate`s Stacer...um...we didn`t do all that well but that`s local knowledge (or lack thereof) for you. Maybe someone more experienced can make a suggestion here? My recollection is a bit of a "fish-all-sorts" kinda day.And you`re right about weather caution - was nice enough on the way out but we left it a little late to leave with a change of wind, sure was good to get past the point heading back, I tells ya! I seem to remember some lines of reef offshore in the point area too.All I can suggest is (forecast aside) see what it`s like passing the bushes offshore on the way out and then abeam the point as well for a final go/no go - and keep a close eye on things from there for wind/sea change. We all know our personal comfort zone, eh.Sorry about the minimal info fish-wise, as I said we have moved on. BTW, it was two trips we did, both in Dec and a few years ago admittedly, but don`t be surprised if you have to throw every second or third KG back at the bushes - we were certainly measuring every one brought in.(Psst...15ish feet of water, plus or minus, over the broken ground, could do worse...)Cheers dude

Olive Island, don't waste your time out there, unless you love catching blue throats and lots of other rock cods or wrase.It maybe a good area at the right time of the year. B) As far as 40 cm plus whiting, you already know the area. :woohoo: We use the Bushes for cleaning fish before heading home. :unsure: Another spot to check on the way out and in is the local tyre reef,not far from the boat ramp. :blink: :woohoo: 32.43.919134.14.814Olive Is Posted Image

Olive_Is.jpg