Garfish imitations

I've been attempting to take a new approach to how I target my fish and i'm currently trying to work out what lures look like fish that predators eat. So really attempting to match what is around at the time so I can use an imitation of exactly what the fish is eating. I understand a lot do this already but I really would like to perfect it.So i'm looking at things that look like garfish at the moment. Can anyone suggest garfish imitation HB's?I've only come across this one so far..http://www.jurofishing.com/images/products/gardie.jpgSorry I can't post the pic but the link is directly to the picture. Anyway these look tough! I reckon snook would SMASH them! Any help is greatly appreciatedCheers Tom

Here's a link to a lure used in the Northeast US for catching striped bass, absolutely deadly, they're made to imitate needlefish which are basically the same shape as garfish. I've got some I brought with me and I've used them a few times but with no luck, although nothing else was catching either.http://www.saltybugger.com/images/ow25n.jpgYou fish them similar to an sp, lift, drop, repeat (they sink slowly), or they can be retrieved slowly on top creating a nice vee shaped wake.

SS i was thinking the same thing about garfish imitation lures the other day when i was scaling 20 big snook and watching a mate pull garfish beaks etc. out of the snook.......then i thought nahh...................i will just stick to the lures im using which are deadly for snook!lure is hb halco laser pro 120mm in pilchard when the sun is up and red head when its still dark.....these things out fished my two mates using yozuri mag minnows 3 to 1.just lucky no.......they always kick ass imo.KK

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry lads I thought i replied to this weeks ago... I've been flat out but I've looked at all of the suggested lures and now i'm just trying to narrow down my choices at the moment.Yesterday I bought one of those cotton cordell poppers (silver with a blue back) that paul worsteling is always jabbering on about as it sort of looks like a garfish. Looks pretty good in the flesh and I reckon it's going to get belted by a lot of fish :) Built really well too, certainly a quality built lure!

Here's one I bought via mail order many, many moons ago from MO Tackle in Coffs Harbour, with a view to trying it on Yellowtail Kingies (which I still haven't done!). I contacted the guys at MO Tackle recently to see if they could identify it, but no joy. Thought you might like to take a gander, anyway...002.JPGCheersarcherfish