SA RECREATIONAL FISHING LICENCE A REALITY!!!!!!!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With genuine respect Tony, it was your words which created a little warmth in the discussion.1. "I am personally involved with this change.....". The legitimate question simply being asked, was, how o

Could we step back a little here folks as I believe we have two issues to clarify.1. The merits or otherwise of a RFL.2. In the event of a RFL being discussed at a bureaucracy level, who are the peopl

I'm a knocker!I hear everyone saying:I'm all for it IF......I think it's great AS LONG AS..........The if's, the buts, and the as long as, all relate to the use of the funds, and I don't think we get

Posted Images

hopefully it opens the possibilty of more ressies to be opened and stocked.

SOLID GOLD Weaver! That's what we have been fighting for forever in this backward State of ours!Absolutely every other State has embraced this concept but our SA Ostriches still have their collective heads buried firmly in the sand!Some very positive and forward thinking ideas came from the recent PIRSA/SARFAC Forums which have me and lots of others, very excited about the future for recreational fishing!!!!Interestingly, we finished our Forum with a wish list of our FIVE most desired visions and guess what? YES, Funding was "numero uno"NOTHING happens with out funding!!!My thinking on this issue is that the Recreational Fishing Licence revenue is what will drive Recreational fishing into a brave new world for angling in our State no matter what the "Knockers" say!!

I hope you are correct, people. But have a read;http://www.food-chain.com.au/events/?m=201009Rec Fishing Licences get a mention about two-thirds of the way down - given the overall cost-cutting, I can`t help but wonder whether the "increased services to recreational fishers" line should be more appropriately read as "attempting to maintain current services"...?

Seen this Tony ?? Everything come at a cost. Seems SARDI are in for less R&D, less budget....http://www.strikehook.com/forum/63-off-topic/119171-budget-leaksEveryone else gets less money while we have to pay more ??I'm all for paying a licence ( as long as it goes to stocking, improvements etc... ) but at the end of the day who is going to police it ?? All the departments with authority are losing money which intunr means less time on the beat so to speak. Be great to see some more water ways open up but as LBB has mentioned previsouly, they need to put some time and money into them first to give the people some belief the licences are worth spending money on. With less funding from government... i think I know where the money will come from !

My thinking on this issue is that the Recreational Fishing Licence revenue is what will drive Recreational fishing into a brave new world for angling in our State no matter what the "Knockers" say!!

I'm a knocker!I hear everyone saying:I'm all for it IF......I think it's great AS LONG AS..........The if's, the buts, and the as long as, all relate to the use of the funds, and I don't think we get a say in how those funds are used.I'm a knocker because I've never believed the funds will ever be put back into recreational fishing, so I think all we are doing is asking for yet another tax on us all, when we are paying far too much in all the different taxes and levies already!I pay when I purchase my car to tow the boat.I pay when I register that car to make it legal.I pay when I put fuel into it to get me to the rampI pay when I purchase my boatI pay when I register my boat.I pay when I register my boat trailer.I pay when I fuel my boat to go fishing.I pay when I insure my car.I pay when I insure my boat.I pay when I purchase bait.I pay when I purchase tackle.I pay when I buy ice to keep my catch fresh.I pay when I use a boat ramp.I pay when I join a boat club.I pay when I have my boat serviced.I pay when I purchase my compulsory safety equipment.I pay when I purchase my electronics.I pay when my car gets repaired.I pay when I get a boat operators license.I pay when I obtain a drivers license.I pay a save the Murray levy.I pay a fuel excise.I pay an emergency services levy.I pay when I earn my weekly income.I pay.........in fact, I just keep paying and paying and bl**dy paying! Why isn't all the money I've already paid going back into recreational fishing, when it is all used in pursuit of recreational fishing? The government made me a promise! If I pay a goods and services tax on everything I buy and use, there would be no more taxes! I kept my end of the bargain!None of this paying I've been doing for recreational fishing has given me a voice yet! WHY, I'm paying plenty? And why will one more payment guarantee me that I now have a voice, or I'll get a say in how the money is spent? Why are our interstate counterparts (who now pay for licenses) still complaining if they now have a voice?I hear all this talk about how it's a user pays system, how it's great for impoundment restocking, and how it's really gonna make a difference for us, because now the government will listen to us, and start spending heaps on recreational fishing.If it's a "user pays" system, why will an impoundment restocking project help me when I only fish saltwater? Why should I have to pay for freshwater fishos to get fish, while my concern is the saltwater species I have to share with professional fishermen? That isn't users pays! Or do I pay for a fishing license to ensure there are more fish for the professionals to net and sell? Remember, this is a shared resource. I pay, but the pros earn an income, how is that fair? Maybe if I pay for a license as they do, I should also be entitled to profit from my catch just as they do!I might feel a little different if I were a freshwater fisho, paying for my license in the hopes that SA Water are gonna open all the dams to fishing, the Torrens will be reopened, and all the waterways will be filled with little cod or trout for those who prefer the non-natives. As a saltwater fisho though, what will I get for my money? The councils provide the boat ramps so a license fee isn't required for them, most landbased locations are private property closed to fishing so cant be improved, so what do I get? Will they fill the gulf with whiting and tell the professionals not to net all the fish Ranger and his recreational buddies paid for? Will they buy up foreshore land they'll then put aside for recreational activities? Will they build jetties devoted to recreational fishing? Will they put out FADs or sink wrecks for me to fish on?How will the growing marine park debacle affect my "voice" or will my license fee ensure that I wont have to worry about being locked out of my favourite saltwater fishing destinations?I'll stop being a knocker when they prove me wrong, but until then, there aint no way in hell I'm gonna ASK them to hit me up again with another fee, believing that's all that will be needed to "give me a voice!" Been shafted by the government far to many times to fall for that one!I don't expect everyone to agree with me, as I know there are plenty out there who firmly believe that fishing licenses will be the great saviour of our sport, and they will finally mean that the government will stop and pay attention to what fishos have to say. That doesn't change the way I feel about the issue though, or the mistrust I have in how it would be managed! I just see yet another firm shafting in the pipeline, except this time we are the ones bending over and actually asking for it!

Sad and disillusioned, defeated by the system, does it fit???Think positive, dare to dream, fight for what you know is yours by birthright!!The "Brave New World " will never be won if we don't use the power of positive thought and the mass will of the people to see it through!It's worked all over the world and interstate, WHY NOT in good old SA?

Yep totally agree Ranger, I deal with government and councils everyday and theres no way in hell that the funds would go into benefitting fishing in general.. I hate my viewpoint sometimes because I agree with some other posts that it would be bearable to see revenue raised from this go to helping the actual industry but I can tell you right now that I won't be going out of my way to pay for no licence unless I have to...! And yeah good luck trying to police that lol :laugh: they can't even stop the illegal net fishing, cockle taking, crayfish and abalone poaching etc, etc,etc, who are they kidding.....!!!!

The money from a liscence suc as this will just go back into general revenue... Considering the massive cuts are being made to budgets everywhere, it is foolsh to think the government will spend money on recreational fishing unfortunately.From my standpoint, just look at our emergency services. Already underfunded and underresourced in all sectors, and yet they want to cut us by even more... Those leaked documents held rumors of closures of up to 30 stations across the state, who knows if that will happen, but for christs sake...How about we instantly save a mint by not wasting money on a bloody footy/cricket oval![Probly would have fit better in the other thread, but my main point remains valid.]

Here`s the Vic system kiddies' date=' brace yourselves for something similar;http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing/fishing-licenceBTW, penalties;Not presenting a fishing licence when requested - $100 on-the-spot fineFishing unlicensed - $550 (if hoop or mesh net then $1100)A bit more than a slap on the wrist...[/quote']And exactly how it should be ! We ar starting to see the odd example of fine fits the crime but how many slaps on the wrist can people get ??Can't speak english, get a card written in main languages made up saying you are fined $100 and watch their eyes then !!

How about we instantly save a mint by not wasting money on a bloody footy/cricket oval!

Only heard on the radio this morning that some minisgters gave "them selves" a 7% payrise costing taxpayers over $300'000 in SA. This was seen as acceptable as last year it was 14% ???? How the hell.... most are luck to get 3% per year !$300'000 spent on a reservoir stocking, ramp, bins, shelters etc.... imagine the revenue it "could" raise !

fishing licence........agree,you dont really know where the money is going to go??now i dont have any problem paying for a fishing licence dollars wise.......but there are people out there struggling from week to week with money who like to take there family for a cheap day out having a picnic and throwing a line in....now looking like having to pay $$ that they cant afford.they will start taxing every breath we take soon..... shit we are getting stung for anything and everything now.:angry: i hope some good comes out of it.....:unsure:

It sucks. In the end we will ONLY be able to go fishing if we have a licence, BUT we will only be able to fish where the Greenies let us. Note the ruckus in Vic/NSW about 30% Marine Parks lockout ATM. The RFL doesn't seem to be doing anything to help Rec fishers there.Too many rules and too many costs already.How can anyone be keen to add another cost? We already paid for the launch ramps around the State via our rego, we pay for Emergency Services via a "levy" - what next?It's a very bad plan and the money will vanish into general revenue.RegardsRJ

i think its a good thing. nobody likes change or the thought of paying a bit more to fish. most other states have one and stocking can only be the next step its strange to see so many opposed with out it having a chance to make some changes for the better as a mad keen fisho im all for a possitive step like this might even give the anglers a voice with marine parks ???!!!!!Si

Guest boys day out

i think its a good thing. nobody likes change or the thought of paying a bit more to fish. most other states have one and stocking can only be the next step its strange to see so many opposed with out it having a chance to make some changes for the better as a mad keen fisho im all for a possitive step like this might even give the anglers a voice with marine parks ???!!!!!Si

Change is not the problem ITS all the crap and lies that goes with it so much for the roads that would be made with the petrol tax and so on!:vomit: :vomit:

might even give the anglers a voice with marine parks ???!!!!!Si

Not a chance. You could expect every Green to support the RFL though. Anything that reduces rec fishing would be like gold to them.The Greens want to lock up 30% of SA Marine Parks as no-take zones. the Wilderness Society want to lock up 50%. How do you think paying for a licence will give us more influence? It seems to have made no difference at all in Vic/NSW where Rec fishers are currently doing battle against the Greens over more closures in Marine Parks. As far as I can see, the Rec fishers are going to get steamrolled.In today's world it's only political influence that counts. Decision makers don't give a bugger about loss of lifestyle, and we won't get any sympathy.Where's our political clout? Who represents us? IMO the RFL has no impact at all in this battle.Regards,