SA RECREATIONAL FISHING LICENCE A REALITY!!!!!!!

Hey RJ' date='That vid was a classic! And no doubt very very true. I think we, as rec anglers, pay too much as it is. Why should we pay more when 7 times out of 10, you pay a hundred bucks to take the boat out and come back with nothing. Those who say that the funds from the licence will increase fish stocks are dreaming. It certainly wont happen in our lifetime thats for sure.Keep on Fishin'B214[/quote']Thanks,I figured I'd make a vid because a picture is worth 1000 words - and there's been a heap of words!.. and I think some of them have been a weeny bit biased toward accepting an RFL without any conditions.Cheers,
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With genuine respect Tony, it was your words which created a little warmth in the discussion.1. "I am personally involved with this change.....". The legitimate question simply being asked, was, how o

Could we step back a little here folks as I believe we have two issues to clarify.1. The merits or otherwise of a RFL.2. In the event of a RFL being discussed at a bureaucracy level, who are the peopl

I'm a knocker!I hear everyone saying:I'm all for it IF......I think it's great AS LONG AS..........The if's, the buts, and the as long as, all relate to the use of the funds, and I don't think we get

Posted Images

Guest boys day out

I'm so glad that the RFL is in the other states but don't compare SA to the other states because we are worlds apart. for example we don't have the same population as the other states. If you are so looking forward to the RFL then MOVE to a state that has it. Don't force it on the rest of us that don't wish to have it !!!Where were the rest of the state's when the Murray was out of water. They told us to 'deal with it'. Since they have their RFL then they can 'deal with it'. We don't need them so leave the other states out of our state.For example - How can we trust a government that issues you with a licence for life and then changes its mind. The word of this government means nothing. !!!

Hey RJ' date=' Those who say that the funds from the licence will increase fish stocks are dreaming. It certainly wont happen in our lifetime thats for sure.Keep on Fishin'B214[/quote']dont get me wrong mate but all i can say unless you have lived in a place where such a thing has happened how would you know what the fish stock is like in those watersw now compared too before the rfl,i know for a fact in the years leading up too and the first few after it was introduced the fishing around the area i was in especially lake illawarra was very much below average and yeat within 5 years of the scheme we had more consistant catches of larger fish.just wondering how this could be explained if the rfl had nothing too with it accept the buy back of the pro netters licences. this is all im going too say on this thread as too me it seems too be gettin a bit narky and thats the excact reason i wasnt goin too post in the start anyway, each to there own after all we all fish the same water and eat the same catch an nothing is done too preserve it ill always the waters of my home town too fish .MM

Could we step back a little here folks as I believe we have two issues to clarify.1. The merits or otherwise of a RFL.2. In the event of a RFL being discussed at a bureaucracy level, who are the people authorised to represent the views of the broad rec. fishing community.Until there is broad approval - and some transparent method of nominating those people - no individual or group of likeminded indviduals has the right to enter into any discussions that may involve the implementation of such a licence.Strong aruments can be made 'for' and 'against' such a licence, so if there is to be discussion lets do it with some professionalism.

B@KWith respect, I beg to differ. Whilst I would not agree with all of the views expressed on this thread, it nonetheless remains a public discussion forum.Formal interested-party advisory group representation to a committee deliberating on a proposed implementation is a completely different matter.

Hasn`t "Media Mike" already come out & said it`s not a happening thing?. All commercial net licences being bought out will never happen,nor will longline endorsements. Someone has to supply fish to ppl who eat it but don`t catch it,at a price that`s affordable or they won`t buy it. My mail is that Fisheries are happy with the state of the fishery & their stated aim of "maximising the resource" means they have to satisfy both sides of the equation by allowing commercial catch & recreational fishing without harming the fishery. Commmercial fisho no`s have been dramatically reduced here under the "2 for 1 buyback scheme" that has been operating here for many years, Fisheries management now have commercial no`s "where they want them" so to speak. The fishery appears healthy given the enormous no`s of u/size snapper & kgw`s that are around at present,(more than I`ve seen in 5 decades of fishing)so I think any more reductions in commercial fishing no`s are unlikely so why do we need another fee. There were a lot more commercial fisho`s interstate,hence the need to buy back licences,don`t believe that is the case here. Just my opinion, for what it`s worth. Cheers all.

I am personally involved with this change and am very excited by it!!

Not to put too fine a point on this but who made you the official voice of the rec fishing community?You certainly do not have my support
I'm a bit of a fence sitter on the issue as i dont know enough about the success / failures of a RFL in other regions - but as i said a few pages back, it seems its a vocal minority pushing for it...

Hey MM,Thats a fair call. Maybe for Freshwater and catchment type fishing it could work significantly well. Its the salt, open water type I am really referring to. With all these people fishing and taking undersized fish, (I have seen this myself. Attempted to discuss with the perpetrators, putting myself at risk several times, and, on numerous occasions, contacted PIRSA) how can anyone say the the RFL would have any significant impact on these fish stocks? Also, as with the current track record of government agencies, how can there be a guarantee that the money raised by the RFL would actually be utilised to upgrade rec facilities and the likes? Most of the monies raised by the current systems are not utilised for what it was initially supposed to be for. All this while MP's continue to line their own pockets. The rec angler would most likely have little or no say whatsoever where the money is spent. Its like speeding and camera fines. Its not used for roads is it.MM, you have highlighted very fair points. It would be beneficial for us all to better understand the reasoning behind the proposal of introducing the RFL. I just can't see any rec fishing benefitting other than fresh water. Cheers,B214

Boyington214, you say "I just can`t see any rec fishing benefiting other than fresh water".Yes and No on that one. Your comment is interesting in that Victoria had an inland-only licence for ages, then about a decade ago it was extended to salt water as well. There were various considerations, for an historic overview have a read of the old article in this link. http://www.fishsa.com/fshlcers.phpI`m not saying what worked in Vic would also be applicable to SA in exactly the same way, for a number of reasons, however the basic principles would hopefully apply nonetheless in any decision-making processes here. :dry: If (and I stress IF) the money goes to the right cause then a RFL is not necessarily a bad thing in itself.

Guest boys day out

Boyington214' date=' you say "I just can`t see any rec fishing benefiting other than fresh water".Yes and No on that one. Your comment is interesting in that Victoria had an inland-only licence for ages, then about a decade ago it was extended to salt water as well. There were various considerations, for an historic overview have a read of the old article in this link. http://www.fishsa.com/fshlcers.phpI`m not saying what worked in Vic would also be applicable to SA in exactly the same way, for a number of reasons, however the basic principles would [b']hopefully[/b] apply nonetheless in any decision-making processes here. :dry: If (and I stress IF) the money goes to the right cause then a RFL is not necessarily a bad thing in itself.

This Government spent the money on this a Boat ramp to nowhere and came we trust the Government to get it right by the looks of this boat ramp NO!!!

post-5600-139623775177_thumb.jpg

BDO, could you elaborate on the Middle Beach "boat ramp to nowhere" statement? A sincere and genuine question, because this facility seems to be something the locals have been after for quite some time;http://www.panpa.org.au/ThreadView.aspx?tid=39290I understand Price and Port Wakefield have tidal limitations too, if that was the reason for your rationale? Or are you merely suggesting the money could have been better spent elsewhere to potentially benefit more rec boaties? Hey, wouldn`t we all like access to a boat ramp within 5-10 kays of where we live...$$$$$...And for the record I assure you I am by no means advocating in principle a RFL introduction in SA! Just suggesting the manner in which it ought to be done if it ever transpires.

Guest boys day out

To the Locals I'm happy for them no problem and I dont have a problem putting the boat ramp there but It would be great if we can use it in the pic shows mid tide and only 200 - 300mm of water very hard to lunch your boat!!

With regard to the Middle Beach boat ramp to nowhere,I understand it is planned to dredge the channel asap,think it was done by Mallala council not the state gov`t. So let`s get our facts in order before we start bagging things/people/gov`ts etc. Factual ,balanced,logical discussion please,not biased, emotional,ill-informed self serving rubbish. Cheers all.

With regard to the Middle Beach boat ramp to nowhere' date='I understand it is planned to dredge the channel asap[/quote']I hope your right Jaffa as in its current form its still of little use and heavily dependant on the tide. Last I read was that the cost to dredge the channel was prohibitive and the idea was shelved, but perhaps there has been a rethink on this. Oh, how I hope so.The only problem i see with the channel after dredging is the cost to keep it that way. Its my understanding talking to locals that the channel used to be quite navigatable at all / most stages of the tide, but the installation of the pumps taking massive amounts of water from the system on each high tide saw the natural flushing disappear and the silting occurred.Perhaps with Cheetham leaving the site the pumps will be left silent & a good deep & navigatable channel can once again be there for the use of all.
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey MM' date='Thats a fair call. Maybe for Freshwater and catchment type fishing it could work significantly well. Its the salt, open water type I am really referring to. With all these people fishing and taking undersized fish, (I have seen this myself. Attempted to discuss with the perpetrators, putting myself at risk several times, and, on numerous occasions, contacted PIRSA) how can anyone say the the RFL would have any significant impact on these fish stocks? Also, as with the current track record of government agencies, how can there be a guarantee that the money raised by the RFL would actually be utilised to upgrade rec facilities and the likes? Most of the monies raised by the current systems are not utilised for what it was initially supposed to be for. All this while MP's continue to line their own pockets. The rec angler would most likely have little or no say whatsoever where the money is spent. Its like speeding and camera fines. Its not used for roads is it.MM, you have highlighted very fair points. It would be beneficial for us all to better understand the reasoning behind the proposal of introducing the RFL. I just can't see any rec fishing benefitting other than fresh water. Cheers,B214[/quote']i understand where your coming from im not trying too say its the best thing for s.a after ive only been here 5 years and as for the government issues well really thats for you locals too disscuss as i dont feel ive even been here long enough too comment i just wanted too give you and anyone else interested an example of what has happened else where im not saying nor have i said that the governing bodies in s.a would do anything like n.s.w has done nor that they plan too cheers,MM

Hey tonybI suspect it's the nature of the site...totally unpredictable, like fishing itself. If things get off course, we either live with them, or do something to get them back "on course". Of course, if our individual "courses" are totally different, we've got to live with that as well! Bloody hell, I think I'm starting to get a bit Zen.Always enjoy your posts anyway, mate.Cheersarcherfish

It's been a fascinating thread guys and quite amazing the input both for and against!!The Reality is that I posted this thread on the strength of what was contained in the infamous PIRSA leaked documents!The stark reality is that there is to be NO RFL in SA at this time!!!!At the very least the powers that be will be able to gauge the strength of feeling from reading forums like these if they eventually do bring in a RFL!Many thanks to all who contributed' date=' both for and against! Well done!![/quote']In answer to your question about the direction of this thread Moggy, could you please re read this post again?Cheers, Tony.
There is a very definite wind of change blowing through our State government at this time! I am personally involved with this change and am very excited by it!!You can choose the option of being a "knocker" or be more positive and try to embrace these changes which will empower recreational Fishers with a very strong voice in the fight for our fishing rights!http://www.strikehook.com/forum/74-pirsa-fisheries/115473-pirsa-listening-to-rec-fishers
How are you involved' date=' what position have you taken' date=' what are you reporting and who for, before I make anymore comments on this thread as it's starting to sound a little sus. :dry:PS RJ5023 Love it :boot:[/quote'']Try this one :)
There is a very definite wind of change blowing through our State government at this time! I am personally involved with this change and am very excited by it!!You can choose the option of being a "knocker" or be more positive and try to embrace these changes which will empower recreational Fishers with a very strong voice in the fight for our fishing rights!http://www.strikehook.com/forum/74-pirsa-fisheries/115473-pirsa-listening-to-rec-fishers
How are you involved' date=' what position have you taken' date=' what are you reporting and who for, before I make anymore comments on this thread as it's starting to sound a little sus. :dry:PS RJ5023 Love it :boot:[/quote'']

Right of reply Moggy;All of my comments were MY comments only, based on MY opinions of this topic.All of these comments were directed SOLELY at the topic itself!I have attacked the issue only and not once have I attacked the personality who made the comment!!My opinion is no better or worse than every other contributor to our Forum!Please stick to ISSUES and we can avoid all this un necessary angst.Regards, Tony.