SA RECREATIONAL FISHING LICENCE A REALITY!!!!!!!

What a can of worms (tub of gents?)!I think we really need to get used to the reality that even if the fishing licence is not implemented straight away, some time in the not to distant future a rec fishing licence scheme will be put in place.While I agree that we are already indirectly taxed for fishing there is no fishing tax.Now if a fishing licence where to made reality then rec fishos will have a valid reason to petition for funding to improve our great passtime, maybe even give us more power in arguing against the real and much more imposing threat of no go marine park zoning Interstate there has been grumbles about the whole licence issue but in reality it has been generally accepted and some good has come from it in the way of stocking, habitat creation (reefs and FAD's) and comercial licence buy backs.If the powers that be study the successes and failures of the other states for their model we could be looking back in 10 years saying "gee what a great idea this was".Or the government could just screw the whole thing up.........:whistle: Anyway I for one am resigned to the fact that paying to fish will be a reality sooner rather than later and prefer to keep a sense of optimism about the whole thing. Just my two cents.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With genuine respect Tony, it was your words which created a little warmth in the discussion.1. "I am personally involved with this change.....". The legitimate question simply being asked, was, how o

Could we step back a little here folks as I believe we have two issues to clarify.1. The merits or otherwise of a RFL.2. In the event of a RFL being discussed at a bureaucracy level, who are the peopl

I'm a knocker!I hear everyone saying:I'm all for it IF......I think it's great AS LONG AS..........The if's, the buts, and the as long as, all relate to the use of the funds, and I don't think we get

Posted Images

Interstate there has been grumbles about the whole licence issue but in reality it has been generally accepted and some good has come from it in the way of stocking' date=' habitat creation (reefs and FAD's) and comercial licence buy backs.[/quote']Isn't that an interesting chain of events?a) The government issue commercial licenses to professional fishermen. B) Fish stocks decline as a result. c) They realise this level of professional fishing is unsustainabled) .......... it's up to recreational fishermen being taxed to pay for the governments mistake and compensate the professional fishermen through a buyback scheme! Since when has it been our responsibility to fund and what did the sale of netting licenses have to do with us? Do we get little medals for saving the resource from both the inadequacies of the governing body and the near sightedness of the professional sector? Or is it just our duty now to fund the scheme as caring citizens, because no-one else will pay for it?What about taxing the greens! They care for the waterways too! How about a caring green license issued to all environmentalists, liberationists and conservationists, used to fund netting buybacks instead? Then the greens can be the saviours who get a voice because they pay to have a license. They could also have the option of purchasing the extra vegan license upgrade! Dolphin Friendly Platinum Lentil Class!What about we license/tax the politicians who were stupid enough to hand out the netting licenses which now need to be bought back? An underachieving over-issuers license!What about we tax the commercial sector who are responsible for the declining stocks and the need for a netting buyback? After all, they are the ones who have been making money from selling the fish stocks and seeing the decline! A professional fish rapist license!As for the reefs and FADs, I believe here in SA they are considered undesirable, because they congregate the fish stocks, making it easier for us to catch them and remove them from the water. If it's for diving it is called a reef and fishing is prohibited!If it's for fishing it's called marine pollutants or illegal dumping!I'm sorry.............is my sarcastic side showing through again? :blush:

If the powers that be study the successes and failures of the other states for their model we could be looking back in 10 years saying "gee what a great idea this was".Or the government could just screw the whole thing up.........:whistle:

Biggest problem there is as seen at the top of this thread, they have just cut SARDI research and development funds.... who's going to pay for the study now ???:unsure: Time and money to make a decision sadly... we have plenty of time but there will be no money allocated to something that the larger parties seem to want to stop or make very hard for people to do.I'll tell you what they are puting time and money into though... how to make more money out of us !

Seems that the Government over here may just listen to the fishermanhttp://www.premier.vic.gov.au/newsroom/11173.html

BRUMBY GOVERNMENT RULES OUT MORE MARINE PARKSFrom the Minister for Environment & Climate ChangeThursday, 22 July 2010The Brumby Labor Government has not accepted a proposal to increase the number of marine parks in Victoria, the Minister for Environment and Climate Change, Gavin Jennings, said today.Mr Jennings said the proposal contained in a report by the independent Victorian National Parks Association would not be acted on by the Brumby Labor Government.“The Brumby Labor Government has ruled out creating more marine parks and will not amend the current marine national parks before the election or during the next term of government. This is similar to the moratorium introduced recently in New South Wales,” Mr Jennings said.“While independent groups like the Victorian National Parks Association are free to put forward their views, this is not a proposal that the Brumby Labor Government is entertaining.“Victoria’s marine national parks were established in 2002 in consultation with all stakeholders to protect marine life in those designated areas. Victoria has a world class system of 13 marine national parks and 11 smaller marine sanctuaries, protecting 5.3 per cent of our coastal waters.“Our Government established those marine national parks in consultation with all stakeholders to protect marine life in those designated areas – and we are not changing these arrangements.”The Minister Responsible for Fisheries, Joe Helper, said it was deeply disappointing that the Liberal and National parties had sought to deceive anglers by politically hijacking the issue and misrepresenting the Victorian Government’s position on the report.Mr Helper said the Brumby Labor Government had a strong track record supporting recreational fishing.“We are investing heavily in recreational fishing and are not going to close down those opportunities all Victorians are now enjoying,” he said.The Victorian Government has committed:• $13.5 million for an Enhanced Recreational Fishing Program which includes the target to increase fish stocks by 30 per cent;• $1.3 million to build a new native fish hatchery at Snobs Creek;• $5 million to buy back licences in the Western Zone Rock Lobster industry to ensure that particular fishery remained sustainable; and• $3.2 million to the Go Fishing in Victoria initiative to improve fishing infrastructure around the state and encourage Victorian families to go fishing.“The Brumby Labor Government will continue to work with organisations such as the Futurefish Foundation, the Australian Trout Foundation, Native Fish Australia and the Victorian Recreational Fishing roundtable to grow participation in recreational fishing and deliver enhanced recreational fishing opportunities for all Victorians to enjoy,” Mr Helper said.

I've seen what the fishing licence provides over here both in fresh and salt , it works and thats a fact, it may not be perfect but what is in life , our school holidays started today and for the next 2 weeks across this state school kids can go to selected lakes and fish for trout that have been let go with funds from the fishing licence. How good is it that a family can go out and fish for trout in a lake instead of sitting in front of a computer. Thats just one of the many things that fishing licence funds get used for.Ozzy

Yep costs me a massive $24.50 a year for my fishing licence which I can use state wide in salt and fresh, that's going to bust me for sure , then of course my local ramp which is just down the road from me is pretty ordinary for a free ramp. Then if I want to travel 12 k from home instead of 2 I can then use another ordinary ramp thats also free.Reckon I am happy to pay less than a box of beer to fish and see that money go back into the fishery and I'll launch at my average free ramps.Sadly South Australia is run by a moron OzzyHere's my local rampPosted ImageAnd the one 12 k from homePosted Image

looks the goods to me ozzy' date=' foley and his razor gang are :vomit:[/quote']You said it.Just over a month ago sa govt went public on the anti artificial reef subject declaring it shameful "illegal dumping at sea" and announcing a crack down. They refuse to put in FADs like eastern states based on a twelve yr old report, when recent findings and other state actions tell us differenty and now fresh from that scalding we are to swallow the idea of an imminent fishing license. So i can see where the doubtors on this forum are coming from. The really sad thing is that fishing licenses are a great idea it's a shame if it does turn into another item on rangers list of money grabs.

i just think the Sate Govt is good at mismanaging the revenue and its money in general ......they waste so much on riddiclus things.this desal plant,, where the hell are they gonna store the very expecive water ? its got me buggerd n pissed off ..coz it seems they have to pump it all uphill to the existing resevours where it will just evaporate!!our fishin license levy will just go to generall revenue , more like it...Adelade city councilluvs buildng obsticles on the roads we use ,,,This govt has left its scar in the city.....that free tram that u can catch ...and aint nth tce a bitch! how many traffic lights really?? thats where our money goes!some executive with $250 000 per year gets to sit in his office and dream up these ideas ! and we got hospitals ,footy ovals ,and expessway to fix....cant see our fish levey going to anything to do for us rec anglers....sorry to say

Yep costs me a massive $24.50 a year for my fishing licence which I can use state wide in salt and fresh' date=' that's going to bust me for sure , then of course my local ramp which is just down the road from me is pretty ordinary for a free ramp. Then if I want to travel 12 k from home instead of 2 I can then use another ordinary ramp thats also free.Here's my local ramp[img']http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/images/cliftonsprings/photos/15.jpg[/img]And the one 12 k from homePosted Image

Hey they look really good! But I guess you'd have to expect decent ramps in what is advertised as one of Victoria's premier seaside destinations catering for a population of 5.5M.But hang on a minute! Your fishing license revenue doesn't cover them at all! Fishing License revenue has absolutely nothing to do with your boat ramps! :ohmy: Boat ramps in Victoria aren't all free, and they are in fact maintained by Parks Victoria, NOT fishing license revenue!

Boat ramps are maintained by Park Victoria and are not related in any way shape or form to the recreational fishing licenece revenue, Parks Victoria obtain funds from Marine Safety Victoria too repair and maintain ramps around the state,

So Parks Victoria are responsible for boat ramps (including Mornington Pier) and the cash actually comes from Marine Safety Victoria!Here, check it our for yourself: http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/3bmi.cfm

As managers of over 4 million hectares of land and water, including the local ports of Port Phillip and Westernport (the Bays), which have over 40 piers, jetties, marinas and boat ramps, Parks Victoria are committed at both a national and local level, for healthy and vibrant maritime environments, communities and industries. Each year over 40 million visits are made to piers and jetties on the Bays, both on and off water.Parks Victoria understands the important role that the Bays play in providing opportunities for both recreational users and also the economic contribution that the Bays play to Victoria. The Bays have widespread appeal and support a wide range of uses, whether it is boating, fishing, swimming, relaxing or promenading on the water's edge, all of which are key ingredients of Melbourne's liveability.The public maritime infrastructure that supports these activities, such as piers, jetties and boat ramps are vital community assets, however they are ageing and some of them are not meeting community expectations. Recreational boating in particular is an increasingly popular pursuit, with rates of boat ownership rising in recent years.

Hmmm, marine Safety Victoria pays for it! And where do they get their money from? Oh that's right, from the taxes, boat licenses and fees you are already being forced to pay! The same fees us fishermen in SA are ALREADY paying to our government! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: By the way, how many times have we argued this subject out now over the years and across various forums? :drink:

Hey lads I understand all the heat this topic is generating, no one likes paying even more taxes. However if the government does use revenue raised to improve fishing then I am all for it. I have been in this fantastic country 12 years now and compared to the U.K. where you have a massive population on a tiny island fishing for very limited fish stocks, we are spoilt for choice. Infact considering the small South Aussie population I am amazed at how good facilities are, imagine how much better it could be for all of us if the government uses the revenue properly. To quote someone famous; "You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one....." Onya lads, Marko.:fishing:

Your right there Marko, wev'e got it good but our facilities are there as a revenue raiser as well, would love to know how much sullies and glenelg pull per year !!... I think most would agree, "IF" they the government does use revenue raised to improve fishing it would be a good thing. Examples have already been given how it can work, BUT....I would love the just once to use their heads, do a bit of forward planning and assess where the money can go and how it will be used to the rec fishermans benefit, publicly sell the idea and get a positive spin on it from the get go instead of all the negativity. Yes this take money but they are going to be reaping the benefits for years to come let alone the rec fisherman. Very exciting times "IF" things can be done properly, but at the moment...I doubt it very much

well said marko !!i cant be negative about this when ive seen other parts of the world and how special we have it and any move to keep it that way is gooda high percentage of South aussies fish and this will be a powerful tool to help the sport and stocking

But is an SA Recreational Fishing licence a reality?During this last Budget bullshit period the Govt used a "Razor Gang" to come up with all kind of penny pinching schemes to save money. These whacko ideas were leaked to soften us up for the real thing, and among much more important issues (such as shutting down hospitals) were:-Introduction of renewable boat licencesIncrease launching charges at Osullies boat ramp to $13Introduction of Rec Fishing LicencesNow that the Govt. smoke and mirrors have been put away (till next time), I can't find any reference to the introduction of an RFL.Ozzy makes a good point ".... a moron in charge..." - I'd go further and call them manipulative morons.Can anyone point me to the Govt. RFL statement?Regards,

Thanks Kon,I saw that one :-"Extra charges contained in the leaked copy of the Sustainable Budget Commission's recommendations to the Treasurer which were not adopted include the introduction of a renewable boat licence, which would have raised an extra $8.8 million over three years,"What a croc! Foley got to stand up and tell us all the (Razor Gang) crap he wasn't going to chuck at us (onya Kev!), and then dump reality all over us. :@ ...but nothing related to a Recreational Fishing Licence - that I've been able to find.Cheers,

I fail to see Tony where I said that the RFL pays for boat ramps ( I didn't ) my boat rego and taxes pay for them and aren't they good for free ramps. They aren't the only free ramps either there are heaps of them and in out of the way places as well that aren't tourist meccas. My RFL pays for restocking , artificial reefs , resnagging , stocking fish for kids to catch etc etc etc , sounds like it's working. Nothing is perfect but in this world it is a user pays system , people who don't fish or don't boat don't want their money used for these purposes.The same as boaters and fisherman don't want their money spent on things for others.Imagine if there were a committee in charge of an RFL fund made up of fisherman and people that are for fishing ( as it is here ) being able to lets say use that money to catch brood stock in the Murray and then give a helping hand by making sure that the fry hatch and survive. Then return the brood stock to their original area and the fingerlings back into a wider area. Sounds like a good thing to me.South Australias fisherman are at the mercy of the morons in charge , and they don't care what you feel as they know that they don't have to justify what they do and don't have to answer to you ,UNTIL next election , but then again he will probably get voted back in again next time.Carry on with no say in how your fishery is run , because your government doesn't care about you , eventually it'll be stuffed , but their is a good side to it , you can come over here and catch fish from Trout to Makos and all manner in between , we will be more than happy to take your money and send you home with a feed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: Ozzy

I fail to see Tony where I said that the RFL pays for boat ramps ( I didn't ) my boat rego and taxes pay for them and aren't they good for free ramps. They aren't the only free ramps either there are heaps of them and in out of the way places as well that aren't tourist meccas. My RFL pays for restocking ' date=' artificial reefs , resnagging , stocking fish for kids to catch etc etc etc , sounds like it's working. Nothing is perfect but in this world it is a user pays system , people who don't fish or don't boat don't want their money used for these purposes.The same as boaters and fisherman don't want their money spent on things for others.Imagine if there were a committee in charge of an RFL fund made up of fisherman and people that are for fishing ( as it is here ) being able to lets say use that money to catch brood stock in the Murray and then give a helping hand by making sure that the fry hatch and survive. Then return the brood stock to their original area and the fingerlings back into a wider area. Sounds like a good thing to me.South Australias fisherman are at the mercy of the morons in charge , and they don't care what you feel as they know that they don't have to justify what they do and don't have to answer to you ,UNTIL next election , but then again he will probably get voted back in again next time.Carry on with no say in how your fishery is run , because your government doesn't care about you , eventually it'll be stuffed , but their is a good side to it , you can come over here and catch fish from Trout to Makos and all manner in between , we will be more than happy to take your money and send you home with a feed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: Ozzy[/quote']Apologies if I misconstrued your words. I took this statement to mean that you pay $24.50 for a RFL and that in turn provides you with free boat ramps:
Yep costs me a massive $24.50 a year for my fishing licence which I can use state wide in salt and fresh, that's going to bust me for sure , then of course my local ramp which is just down the road from me is pretty ordinary for a free ramp. Then if I want to travel 12 k from home instead of 2 I can then use another ordinary ramp thats also free.
I do have to say though, that either with or without a RFL, South Australian fisheries do seem to be managed better than some of our sister states.If only we had access to the impoundments, rivers and lakes that other states have, we'd also have somewhere do do the restocking!

During this last Budget bullshit period.........Now that the Govt. smoke and mirrors have been put away.......

Isn't it interesting that our new Prime Minister Gillard, after only a few days in power, has already stood up to say that all Labours pre-election promises are now completely null and void, due to how events unfolded with the independant sector! Any wonder we don't trust a word they say! :S

i agree a small fee per year if funds are used approreatly but as with everything of this nature,it will only go up every year and who knows what the`ll use it on (thinking out side the box)were does that leave the next genaration,of fiso`s,some little fella`s i see out & about can hardly afford bait let alone a lience to fish,what is the world coming to when you have to pay in this fasion to use the ocean,whats next a rain water tax,hope no pollies read this forum:@

WaterboyWith respect to lifetime licences, this is anecdotal info and not a legal definite, but many years ago I spoke with a seemingly well-informed dude from ServiceSA on this very topic (while I was a Victorian resident for a few years but still quite legally holding a SA licence - due to the "lifetime" reason). (BTW when I scored my then newly-compulsory Vic licence a few years ago courtesy of flashing my SA one, Vicroads were shaking their heads when I told them that sure, they could demand I surrender the card but I would have another in my wallet the following week. So they backed off and just took a photocopy with gritted teeth!)Anyhoo, this SA person advised me that there would be the obvious regulatory (and possibly legislative) change requirements, and also alluded to some legal "retrospectivity" hurdles which were the supposed reason it hadn`t been done to date. FWIW...PS - when I got my SA licence in the mid 80s people were saying back then "get in quick before they go renewable for new entrants"!!!

Well whichever way it goes I'll be keeping my licence that has no expiry date. In my mind that says it's a lifetime one and thats it PERIOD. When I moved to Vic I went in to change my licence over and did so showing my SA one. I then asked what I was to do with my SA one as it's a lifetime one. I was told to keep it then as you never know you may move back one day ( Fat Chance Of That )Ozzy

Waterboy, When does any of the money raised go where it should go. By the time the Politions,Admin. take there slize of the top, and then next little group take there cut and so on, so on untill very little is left to do anything. So no I don't hold much faith in any money going to where it could do the most good.Too many cheifs and not enough indans. all the cheifs have smoke to many peace pipes and now can't get off there asses long enough to get anything done. If someone could get them out of there arm-chairs long enough, maybe one day they might agree on what should be done. Then maybe they will let us know.I have NO FAITH IN ANY OFF THEM getting anything done unless if helps them.On another thing that mention was helping our Native fish to come back. That will never happen unless they do something about the carp in our rivers. Thousand have just sporned in the newly fooded back waters and swamps off our Might Murray River.Cheer WS (Sorry about my Spelling)

I dont mind this for an idea' date=' but what about the people who only go fishing once or twice a year??Will this end their hopes of fishing at all, I wouldnt pay a fee to go out once??What about kids, will they have to pay for it as well?[/quote']I have lived in NSW and paid my $30 per year to fish and was happy to do so. but there were other optin when buying your licence. if i can remember correctly you could buy it for a day/week/year or 3 years. I think this whole thread is a bit childish. it will cost less than a carton of beer. if it comes in it will be law so no one will have a choice anyway. give them your $30 and stop crying and lets go fishing. then all we can do is hope there is some common sense and atleast some of the money goes back into fishing.Cheers Goldy
I dont mind this for an idea' date=' but what about the people who only go fishing once or twice a year??Will this end their hopes of fishing at all' date=' I wouldnt pay a fee to go out once??What about kids, will they have to pay for it as well?[/quote'']I have lived in NSW and paid my $30 per year to fish and was happy to do so. but there were other optin when buying your licence. if i can remember correctly you could buy it for a day/week/year or 3 years. I think this whole thread is a bit childish. it will cost less than a carton of beer. if it comes in it will be law so no one will have a choice anyway. give them your $30 and stop crying and lets go fishing. then all we can do is hope there is some common sense and atleast some of the money goes back into fishing.Cheers Goldy
I need a pay rise to keep up with the cost of suporting my family :dry:

i fish a lot, and object to paying a fee to do so, as it cost me enough to bloody fish as it is...bait, hooks, tackle, fuel to get there, food ,drinks,thousands of sinkers,line, clothing and god knows what else.if i take each of my 3 daughters fishing, am i up for another fee, even though it may be only once or twice a year?how about if i get visitors from out of state/country...? do they pay a fee for a once of trip?FISHING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.... taxing fun is bullshite.....thats 2.2 cents worth (gst included)