making sinkers

@ weaver- it was a first for me but i will be making a few changes for the next pour. i did notice after the first few they were forming much better with heat in the moulds.@ hoopsy- i have a big shopping bag full of the big leads so im sure i will have a few left over.@ urhookedfish- i didnt like the waiting time for the lead to melt and might try an old chip cooker next time. i seen on youtube they use a butane torch to melt it quicker

@ weaver- it was a first for me but i will be making a few changes for the next pour. i did notice after the first few they were forming much better with heat in the moulds.@ hoopsy- i have a big shopping bag full of the big leads so im sure i will have a few left over.@ urhookedfish- i didnt like the waiting time for the lead to melt and might try an old chip cooker next time. i seen on youtube they use a butane torch to melt it quicker

You know that at the size that you brought them...ie massive, their worth heaps man. Theyre like $3-4 dollar sinkers each at least. Big snapper leads aint cheap.

If you know someone that works in a tyre store get them to save the wheel weights they pull off rims... they need a bit of a wash because as we all know brake dust sucks.But we literally saved a bucket load (excuse the pun) on sinkers.Also another thing we found was if we held the mould on a bit of an angle, the sinkers seem to come out much better.

gee i havent made sinkers since i was a kid. We used to break old car batteries down (OH&S reps please ignore lol ) and we used a fany fluted jam spoon which we poured in to. We also used the foil from the old powdered milk tins to write out names on so the sinker poured with our own personalised touch. We found the fluted pattern on the spoon helped the sinker rise better avoiding alot of snags :clap:

cut one up the other day and it had nothing in it ,, thought it was a normal car battery so unless you know for sure that theres some thing in there i wouldent bother i drained the acid out and filled it with water several times and cut it open ,, total waste of time wouldent recomend it ,, cheers freddyboy

I dont think modern batteries have heaps of lead cells like when i was a kid. If u score one youll see a gridded up metal feame-heat it up and the lead will melt out for u to use-i used to put them in a heavy tin and then pour of the lead into a jam tin for sinker making. Now im older and wiser i wouldnt recommend doing the battery idea as its hard yakka smashing through the outer casing and bloody dangerous. The acid is a killer and god only knows how much lead i took in-we never used gloves or masks - hell we hardly ever washed our hands to eat etc-ingnorance does have nasty side issues. Nowadays i try to score sheet lead from old rooves etc-much cleaner work and top grade metal.