homemade/ modified squid jags

I would have rather been fishing today too but had to work till 12.30 and felt too Iredell to head out. I was meant to be cleaning up the shed but got sidetrackted. The jag with the red head is a yozuri which I now call a tenticool and the blue jag is a cheap eBay lure I now call a mac rattler ?? I might be going to second valley tomorrow or Monday so I will let ya know how I go. Cheers jewie

top looking jags there' date=' i once had a monster off giles grab my soft plastic..nuts![/quote']..Nearly every time I throw a 7inch jerk Shad off the jetty At Porties, I nearly always have a decent squid latch on. I can normally wind them from out deep to inclose to the jetty then switch to a squid jag and catch em.The best colour is the camo..squid love it.

You used to be able to buy a range of diving squid jigs & I searched for a while trying to source some & found some in Europe but cannot purchase any. I am wondering why they are so hard to come buy as the idea of trolling over a larger area is bound to be way more productive? Good work on the jigs mate, be interested to see how they perform.:)

• 2 years later...
  • 8 years later...
2 hours ago, Soobz said:

I bought these a while back, yet to fit any to a lure but I plan to, due to the number of squid chasing my hardbodies plus they should be more snag resistant if you pick a lure of the right diving depth.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H96facf5fd3684610b2989a63f4ca75b2u/10pcs-Glow-in-Dark-Octopus-Squid-Lure-Jig-2-0-2-5-3-0-3-5.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Based on today's weather I might do it very soon :)

This is what I was thinking too. Where did you buy the jags from?

4 hours ago, Soobz said:

I bought these a while back, yet to fit any to a lure but I plan to, due to the number of squid chasing my hardbodies plus they should be more snag resistant if you pick a lure of the right diving depth.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H96facf5fd3684610b2989a63f4ca75b2u/10pcs-Glow-in-Dark-Octopus-Squid-Lure-Jig-2-0-2-5-3-0-3-5.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Based on today's weather I might do it very soon :)

This is what I was thinking too. Where did you buy the jags from?

I had one of those rapala lure jigs in bright orange and it worked a treat, was slow sinking and the bib was more for action than depth after the first 50cm. Will grab one if I find one on special but for most applications the classic Oita style is a bit more practical and much sturdier. Definitely worth adding one to the collection for the egi addicts though, especially if you like casting over shallow rocks and reef land based.