new to using gps, wonder if anyone can help.putting in coordinates into my gps and it will only allow me to put in a certain amount of numbers. examplehave no trouble putting these inReef Ground 35.01.92 138.28.22when i put something like this in i cant fit all the numbersWhiting, Snapper. Sand bottom. 35.19.389 138.18.985 prob a simple answers cheers ABF

Guest boys day out
magellan 310 handheld. have put the settings as deg min sec and wgs84
so is it the wording or the co-ords that dont fit ?Ive found all units have enough spaces for the digits' date=' but sometimes you need to shortyen words to get them to fit. e.g. Snapper gets changed to snapp.Hope that helps :)[/quote']MOGGY Has all ready said that hahaha ;) ;) ;) ;) ;):laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've got the same problem on mine as well, and i've reset the factory settings as it was purchased 2nd hand.Mine is a garmin 550s 2years old. it works if i can locate the structure by arse and then mark it on the map. But i can't write in the Co ords and have the GPS take me to the spot. I'm 2 numbers out on the easterly 138 etc. I'm running on the Wgs 84 thingy as well.So i'm ususally running on the location stored up stairs. we both need some help

new to using gps' date=' wonder if anyone can help.putting in coordinates into my gps and it will only allow me to put in a certain amount of numbers. examplehave no trouble putting these inReef Ground 35.01.92 138.28.22when i put something like this in i cant fit all the numbersWhiting, Snapper. Sand bottom. 35.19.389 138.18.985 prob a simple answers cheers ABF[/quote']I'm pretty sure the set up with two numbers at the end in your example is the conventional way of showing longditude and latitude. That is Degrees, minutes and seconds, the extra numbers in the below example you give is the GPS format where seconds ( the 2 numbers) are converted to decimal minutes.I believe the conventional long/latt format is easier when using in conjunction with a map, where as the GPS format is probably handier if using the raw data.Anyway, the GPS unit should have a MODE setting, otherwise you CAN convert the last numbers, I don't know the maths of it though.This is what it seems like to me anyway, but I have been up fishing since 4am and am full of sun and beer, so may have it wrong, but it might point you in the right direction... Excuse the pun ;);)

If you can insert 35.01.92 but not 35.19.389 then I would suggest your unit is set up to only the second decimal place, and does in fact work in decimals of a minute for the last number rather than seconds for the last number - otherwise you wouldn`t be able to punch in anything above 59 for the last number (ie there are 60 seconds in a minute)A workaround for the time being (until you can determine how and if you can change settings on your unit to accept the last number to the third decimal place) is just to round off to the closest second decimal place, thusS35.19.389 E138.18.985 becomesS35.19.39 E138.18.981 nautical mile = 1 minute of latitude = 6080 feet. 0.01 of a minute is 60 feet. Don`t complain...beats the crap out of using great-uncle Bob`s notebook visual marks!