Ganged Hooks on steel traces

Guest Butters

Guest Butters

With summer fast approaching and sharks being on the menu for a few of us... was just wondering if anyone has tried making up some ganged hooks with a steel trace??I'll put up a pic of one i made up.. but just after a bit of feed back if anyone else has tried this, or any pointers/ suggestions? like butters your an idiot.. just use one hook.. etc etc.. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I use wire traces for all my shark and stingray fishing, the only problem is once you get onto something big and it decides to run around and be an idiot the wire gets all bent and wont stay straight anymore, don't know how it affects the strength of it but havent had any wires break yet. I single crimp bottom bashing rigs and i double crimp ballooning rigs. Wire is great, before i started using it my leaders were getting torn to shreds.

G"day guys, I make some traces up for when darkness falls on the beach or your at a spot where bities are on the cards.Not the be all and end all but witout using a heavy wire trace, and still works well on the salmon and mullies.You can buy them commercialy but they have 4 hooks and only the one size.The beauty of making your own is that you can make them whatever size for your own needs.Just get some wire, put your bottom hook on and crimp it.Then add a piece of plastic fluro tubing the distance you want , just so it has a bit of play.Then add your next hook by simply sliding it on.Then more tubing and your last hook.A good quality swivel crimped on finishes it off.These work great, and give you a chance if a toothy comes along but still gives you a shot of landing a mully as if anything the tubing acts as an attractor.Also they hold slabs or pillies real well.Anyhow hopefully the pics are expanatory.Firstly the commercial onesPosted ImageThe homemade ones custom to your needsPosted ImageAnd all youll need to do the job, importantly its best to use quality hardware, even then it works out cheap and you can make as many as you want once the intial outlay.Cheers guys {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif Posted Image

top work cal {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif Quality gear last longer and is more effective.This is how i justify it to my MRS.I say to her... if i played golf i'd have a set of clubs worth $2000. If i was into cycling i'd have a bike worth a couple of grand. If i was into dirt bikes there's 5 to 10 grand. Fishing is cheap compared to some sports. It works sometimes.great post with the pictures CAL