Del I think you are correct, as I thought Silver whiting were a completely different species of fish to Yellowfin whiting (Goldbars)!!Ive also seen plenty of people catching silver whiting off of Brighton and were taking them at whatever size was caught as they clearly believed there was no size limit.I often thought to myself that I would love to get a few of these for snapper bait but the people catching em said they just fry em whole in the frying pan...yummm they said.

umm silver whiting do not have a bag or size limit. ive made the call to fisheries previously.Yellowfin whiting are a different fish altogether.

Too true Del.A lot of the whiting do look similar when juvenile. But close up quite different. While there are no restrictions on the silver whiting, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people who take em don't even know this.
http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/magazines__and__brochures/fishfacts_e-newsletter/fishfacts_archive/fishfacts_issue_9,_april_2007half way down the page found this.. Yellowfin vs silver whitingReports from Fishcare Volunteers suggest some less experienced fishers are having trouble telling the difference between yellow fin whiting (Sillago schomburgkii) and silver whiting (Sillago bassensis).The two are closely related but can generally be distinguished apart by the colour of the body and fins.The body of the yellowfin whiting is a sandy yellow colouring with the pectoral, dorsal and anal fins a light yellow colour.The body of the silver whiting or school whiting is a light olive colour on top and white below separated by a longitudinal silvery stripe.Yellowfin whiting has a minimum size limit of 24cm and a daily bag limit of 20 and a boat limit of 60. Silver whiting has no size or catch limits but fishers are encouraged to take only what they need.

pretty tastey from what i been told.. they dont seem to get to much size.. i cant find relevant size and growth rates. but id love to take a feed of them one day. i have how ever seen them in fish shops in quite small fillets. Ranger, no need for apologies mate! we is all here to help! and gawwwwd knows you help us out so often!

I was having a flick on Brighton jetty last night to see if I could raise a snook with mars one on here. We were both surprised to see 6 asians shoulder to shoulder pulling silvers out like a conveyor belt and filling there buckets up with them at around 100 to 150mm in length! They were not breaking any laws as has been stated, but surely there is a moral/ethical stance to be taken with these fish which are so tiny, you'd need a bucket full of 'em for a feed!Incidentally these fish are also known as Southern School Whiting and when I used to take them, out in my boat, I set myself a personal size limit of 24 cms and as has been said they are well worth filleting out to get a really nice feed!

I'm a catch and release only fisho and just don't see the point in taking a fish that's only 15cm or so.

Do you use pilchards or whitebait? these are only small! kippers, sardines, anchovies there are many fish that are quite small and tasty to eat or perfect size to use as bait for snapper or larger species!There are plenty of reasons to take smaller silver whiting in a sensible manner.

I must say I'm a litle surprised at the outrage over taking these fish, they are prolific and while people have been hitting them hard for years they seem to take it well, yes they are being taken at small sizes but rarely will you see them larger than 15-20cms (and this has been the case for forever)as for filling up a bucket with them well there is no law against it and it's better silvers than juvenile KG's bluey's or snaps also I imagine that not a scale will to waste. If people want to go to the effort of loading up on these sweet little morsels more luck to em i say.Just my 10 cents worth (GST inclusive)

I must say I'm a litle surprised at the outrage over taking these fish' date=' they are prolific and while people have been hitting them hard for years they seem to take it well, yes they are being taken at small sizes but rarely will you see them larger than 15-20cms (and this has been the case for forever)as for filling up a bucket with them well there is no law against it and it's better silvers than juvenile KG's bluey's or snaps also I imagine that not a scale will to waste. If people want to go to the effort of loading up on these sweet little morsels more luck to em i say.Just my 10 cents worth (GST inclusive)[/quote']While on the topic of OUTRAGE, I'm still outraged by just how much you outfished me last Saturday :woohoo: I know you were on your home turf, but come on :) :):)