Builder Chosen For New 'RAPID BAY' Jetty

Hi Guys,This article was on the front page of the local paper this morning and I thought I would post it here for you all to see. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

RAPID BAY - Almost three and a half years after it was closed to the public, plans for a new Rapid Bay Jetty have edged a step closer, with the design and construction contract being awarded last week.The State Transport Minister, Patrick Conlon, announced that South Australian civil engineering and construction firm Bardavcol won the contract, a year after tenders for the project closed.Rated as one of the country's top 10 diving spots and built in 1940, the existing jetty was closed in December 2004 after it fell into disrepair.Plans to build a $3.9 million new jetty were announced in September 2006, after the local community rallied for the future of the jetty.Glenice Galbraith, a spokesperson for the Friends of the Rapid Bay Jetty, said a petition raised 6000 signatures indicating state-wide support for the jetty."It has been a long haul and we've been waiting a long time, but it is good to know the government are pursuing their promise," she said.Formerly a local business owner, Ms Galbraith said the whole district had been affected by the closure of the jetty, with local tourism and business dropping dramatically."I've been in business in the area my whole life and for six months of the year, it just died, so this brings people back for the whole twelve months."The new 260-metre jetty will be a concrete and steel structure, built parallel to the existing jetty, with more convenient access to the leafy-sea-dragon diving spot.The plans follow an extensive consultation process between the Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure and the local community."By working closely with groups including the Friends of Rapid Bay Jetty, we have designed a jetty that best serves the needs of residents and businesses whilst enhancing tourism at what is widely regarded as one of Australia's best fishing and diving sites," Mr Conlon, said.The Member for Finniss, Michael Pengilly, is hopeful the reinstatement of the diving and fishing hotspot will see a boost to the local economy."This issue has taken too long to get started and hopefully now will gain momentum and a good outcome be seen in the not too distant future," he said.Ms Galbraith said the group was thankful to the government for its community consultation and looks forward to the jetty's completion."We're ecstatic?when the first pile goes down, we'll all be celebrating," she said.Construction of the new jetty is scheduled to begin this spring, weather permitting, with the design to be finalised in the coming months.

This Article Is Courtesy Of The Times, Victor Harbor -Reproduced With Permissionhttp://victorharbor.yourguide.com.au/ne ... 77992.aspx

Excellent news!We were all disheartened when the Rapid Bay jetty closed, but then we were told $8m had been set aside for refurbishment/replacement and re-opening!It seems we had been lied to when the $8m was spent on other projects.It's good to see the government's promise coming to fruition at last, so I guess all I can say is:Thank you Mr Rann! We'll use it, and we'll take care of it!