Servicing spinning reels

Guest fishum

Guest fishum

Whenever I buy a reel new or used I always open them up to see how well its been made.One thing that seems to be common is minimal grease or none at all.So one can come to a few conclusions.To have a smooth running reel use no grease and it will feel effortless free wheeling rotor.Grease it up and it won?t spin so freely until the excess grease pushes aside.I see on various forums that a lot of people open there reels up once a year and give them a service and if that one reel is used the most on a regular basis then I would think its been running dry for a long time.The main point I?m raising here is ..Is it worth greasing the inners of the reel..{SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gifI can?t see the grease staying on the gears and other moving parts for very long as after 100-200 revolutions its been pushed aside..what are your thoughts

FishumThe grease we use in our reels will in fact reduce the friction, hence, wear between two moving surfaces, would you want to thow out your expensive fishing reel because you thought "I wont run any grease in it" and thus it shit's itself!I think you will find that while the grease may look like its all pushed out of the gears there is in fact a micro film left on the surface of those gears, this allows for surface slip on the metal parts(or plastic) for the meshing of the gears.If there was no grease on these gears at all you would find that the meshing action would in fact wear out the surface of the gears in a relatively short time frame.would you run no lubrication in your car gear box?No of course you would make sure it was lubricated or it would die a sad death wouldnt it!hope that is clear enoughCheers Ian {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

• 1 month later...

I use spray grease such as that used by go-karters to spray their sprockets and chains. It is very sticky and does not fly of with centrifugal force . On NO ACCOUNT use lithium or molybdenum based grease as they create electrolysis and will eat away any metal parts if even the slightest trace of seawater gets in.RogerG

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guysOne of my original Daiwa Capricorns from some years back has been in need of a service. I only noticed it when getting a few things ready for the Callop comp some weeks back. It had a bit of a grind to it that I hadn't noticed before, so put it to one side and had to use a different reel in its place. Anyway, I decided earlier this week that I'd have a crack at servicing the the thing myself before I sent it off anywhere.I'm presently at the stage where I have a heap of degreased bits and pieces all over the kitchen table :ohmy: , which I did last night B) , and am now ready to repack grease and reassemble tonight! ;) I'm quietly confident I can do it though, and found these links to be a great helpPart one - http://www.reelschematic.com/content/view/343/28/Part two - http://www.reelschematic.com/content/view/344/28/So if anyone is thinking about having a go, or maybe putting some new life into an old reel, these links might just help. I'll let you know how I go when I finish it tonight or over the weekend.Gaff