cockles to pipis

In an earlier thread I read some discussion/debate on the new standardized common names for some of our species, now I'm not particularly fussed either way although I do like the individuality our local names for some species affords us & will more than likely continue to use the original names until I die, I was just a tad disappointed to learn that "Pipi" is a Maori name according to my old & reliable "Jack Pollard's Australian Fishing" guide for amateur anglers, if we can't have a sth Aussie name lets at least keep it Australian. After all hopefully none of us would approve of renaming our sheep to darling or our eskies to chully buns, thongs to jandles or flipflops etc. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Not good for the trans Tasman rivalry

Cant say that I disagree with ya in the slightest Spog!Problem is, after all my carry-on on every website I could find, I'm pretty much whinged out on the subject, but I'll give it one last go as a show of solidarity!"They're COCKLES, GOOLWA BL**DY COCKLES, and they'll always be GOOLWA BL**DY COCKLES!"PIPI, is nothing but a bodily function! >:(

Yep! They'll always be Goolwa Cockles to me.. after all that is where they come from :icon_e_confused:....all going the same way as the good ol' aussie "Chook & Chips""Australian Herring"... that sounds way too posh for me... I reckon it's still a tommie and always will beTony, there's still a local site I noticed ya haven't whinged on.. must've missed it...... I'll PM you the URL :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_e_ugeek:

I'm still smarting from the marketing ploy changing the humble shitty to striped perch, fond memories of that fish, only time as a child I could get away with swearing; DAD, " who'd ya go down the jetty son?"SON; " terrible dad! nothing but bloody shitties" DAD; "never mind son keep trying & maybe one day you'll land yourself a nice striped perch:" Excuse me a moment I think I'm going to chunda :( :(

And let's not forget that we have something called the "Abysal Assfish", yet that mane is deemed acceptible! :icon_e_geek:

Then there's alway's the ever reliable "blind mullet" that frequents most Sth Aussie Waters ... I wonder what the boffins will rename that to :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_e_surprised:

Those bureaucratic name changes don't work.For example, I can remember when the "official" name for Crayfish was changed to Rock Lobster probably more than 20 years ago. Everyone I know, including a couple of Cray fisherman still refer to them as Crayfish. I recently chatted to a couple of young Deckies at Robe who were working on the Cray boats, they were probably about 19 or 20 and even they were calling them Crayfish.So in 20 years time I suspect we'll still be referring to Donax deltoides as Goolwa Cockles and Arripis georgianus as Tommy Ruff.

Guest undertaker

Well,I must confess that the humble "blind mullet" sounds better than the "politically correct"............Bolivar TroutCould've knocked me over with a feather when I heard that for the first time.........what's the place coming to?