Confession

On a recent GT trip to north queensland i was having anti reverse problems worth my Saltiga 600 s-extreme jigging reel.Anymore than about 10kgs of drag and the anti-reverse was slipping. Was bad enough that the reel had to be retired.Lucky i brough a spare penn torque. These reels are bullet proof.Anyway i put the probelm down to a shot anti-reverse roller bearing. So ordered another one, installed it, tested it and it was still slipping! plenty of expletives later i popped on the net and saw a saltiga rebuild forum by a bloke called Alan Tani. http://www.stripersonline.com/forum/thread/626129/tutorial-daiwa-saltiga-30t-rebuildWas here that i relised the problem was my fault. Months ago when i gave the reel a service i noticed that i put the anti-reverse pawl back incorrectly. Basically there was no solid mechanical lock on the reel once the pressure got too much for the anti reverse bearing to handle. I'm told anti-reverse bearing can't handle more than about 10kgs of pressure. Its at this stage the anti-reverse pawl and solid mechanical lock come into play.Anyway re-installed the anti reverse pawl correctly and now the reel is fine. Gave it a good test by looping line around a fence post, doing drag up to max and gave it heaps. No slippage!Sorry Daiwa!

We all make mistakes, some even admit them...When I got the 4500 we decided a rip down was in order to see the internals and check what bearing seemed to be a little dry when winding. oiled a couiple of the bearings and put it all back together and it was lumpy and grinding like a coffee machine. Took it apart about 4 - 5 times after that just relocating the crown on the pinion until it was smooth again. Thought it was going to be sent back to the shop for a minute or so..i still service it at home but now I mark the position of everything to put it back the way it was.