Interstate fishing (nsw & qld)

Hey guys,I'm doing a charity rally next month which takes me from Melbourne to cairns via wentworth, innamincka, winton, windorah and undara. I'm wondering what to expect when chucking in a line, particulary at wentworth and cairns. I have no idea what is around and if anyone has been to these places could they offer a couple of spots for some reliable action. Plan on taking 1 rod loaded with 12pm braid and a whole bunch of lures. I know cairns has a lot to offer, fish wise, and would Los to catch myself a barra (if they are up that way). Any help would be greatCheers

Think you may be getting to Cairns in the build up to the wet JB, so Barra may be waiting around the creek mouths. Most are hard to get to and find except by boat tho :( You could try some of the local ramps. and there are a few bridges over the loacl creeks/rivers between the airport and the main town but beware of the salties, as they are around that way ! Saw a 5 mter one at a nearby creek :pinch: :whistle: :ohmy: You could try off the outer edge of the main marina there (an easy walk along planking/concrete paths )Locals use freshly bought or caught prawns ;) I did a charter there myself, but they seem to cater more for the toursits than serious fishos.Personal guides are available, but need to be booked in advance, and dont come cheap ! Try ringing Erskines Tackleworld up there The guys are very helpful :clap::clap::clap: Beautiful place too B)B)B)

Wentworth is pretty much standard river fish mate, no different to SA from what I know :) Best advice with Cairns is to expect the unexpected, but dont expect anything to avoid potential dissapointment :whistle: :laugh: , but take mys suggestion and give Erskines Tackleworld up there a ring. Very knowledgable and helpful fishos staff the place :clap:B) Thyye're sure to point u in the right direction. ;) I'm told by locals up there that pretty much all of the estuary species can be taken using right gear, techniques etc, but ity's obviously harder being a "new kid on the block " !Mud Crabs are around too, if you're prepared to try for them too :woohoo:

jb86There's some good general info. on Cairns fishing on this site:http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/index.html(including a fishing calendar). Generally speaking, April isn't one of the "better" months up there, but - hey - if you haven't got a line in the wet stuff, you'll never really know, will you?I agree with aff - check out Erskines while you're up there:http://www.tackleworld.com.au/qld/erskine.htmlCheers and Good Luckaf ;)

Great Linkj there AF !Wish I'd known of it b4 I went :whistle: JB, also wortha try is teh Palm Beach Jetty, one of very few up that way. If the waters clear, baitfish use it as shelter, but not for long :sh:fishing: :woohoo: Barra and GT are taken from there at times too.If you get as far as Port Douglas ( about 1&1/2 hrs drive, try the Wharf near Anzac Park too, casting towards the sand flats opposite ;)Anything can happen there, with a backpacker and I taking turns on 80lb mono for an hour and a half on something that finally rubbed us off on a pylon :blink::blush::clap::clap:

dont know their legislation regarding throw nets,pretty handy asset for live baiting and doesnt take up much room.wished we could use em here :( .jarvis walker aerator from kmart and a bucket should see you right.dont be surprised if you get a legal in it,takes a bit of a knack but there is a lot more info on em now,i onlt knew of 2 techniques in my days of which only one really worked for me,nothing like throwing that perfect circle and sometimes come up with nothing :lol:

dont know their legislation regarding throw nets' date='pretty handy asset for live baiting and doesnt take up much room.wished we could use em here :( .jarvis walker aerator from kmart and a bucket should see you right.dont be surprised if you get a legal in it,takes a bit of a knack but there is a lot more info on em now,i onlt knew of 2 techniques in my days of which only one really worked for me,nothing like throwing that perfect circle and sometimes come up with nothing :lol:[/quote']Its apparently not unknown to snare a croc in a cast net too :pinch: :whistle: :ohmy: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: