Kangaroo Island fishing in November

Heading to beautiful KI to spend 3 weeks at Vivonne Bay!! Great to be a retired lady and some time to really relax! Fishing every day from the beach, and in the river. Has anyone got tips for catching fish from the jetty please? (My best catches have been off the beach for salmon,mullet and flathead and the bream from the river).Wildcoast magazine has great articles about KI.Happy fishing everyoneRos size=360http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/oatEsmcN__Kangaroo_Is_Feb_08_010.jpg[/img]

G'day Ros....I must agree with you,it's great to be retired,and to go fishing when you want,I just love it... K.I. On the jetty I would have a go for KG's,Mullet,Tommies,Squid,Gar-fish..The good old fashion cockle,or squid,gents... Have a chat to the local tackle store,I'm sure that they would be happy to help you... Enjoy your-self at Vivonne Bay,as it's beautiful and relaxing place,in fact all of K.I. is... ;D ;D Welcome to Strikehook,enjoy..

Ros, welcome to Strikehook and half ya luck! KI is a fantastic place and a fisherman's fisherwoman's fisherperson's paradise! If you're already used to Salmon, Mullet, Flathead and Bream, I don't think there's really much we need to tell you about fishing from a jetty!It's much easier than from the beach, so take a decent deck chair, a good wine and the cheese platter, and enjoy the sunshine while you can, coz 3 weeks is gonna breeze by! ;)I'll be looking for the report and photo's when ya get back though! ;D

As I remember it, there isn't a lot of structure on the left hand side of the jetty as you are walking out, and the right hand side can be difficult to get at due to the tenders being stored there.That said, there is still reasonable fishing to be had there. We got loads of slimeys there one night as the water was teaming with them. We've taken a few fish from there from time to time, but in truth this was many years ago when I really had no idea what I was doing.I might have more success these days :icon_lol:Anyway... it's a beautiful spot. We were lucky that one of the cray fisherman took us out on his tender and we just drifted through the bay and bagged out on thumping big KG's in about 20 minutes. He said he had no idea where to go, but over the few days we were there we got friendly with him and he wanted to give us a better crack at fishing on the island, so he just loaded us on board and said... "Let's try here". Within 5 minutes we were pulling in kidney slappers hand over fist! Funny thing was, he hardly caught any. Maybe he wanted my friend and I to catch them, but we divided them up and he went home happy.It's a great place to be when they start bringing the crays in though. Mouth watering stuff that's for sure.The beaches and the river are more productive for my money. Good Salmon can be caught on the beaches most of the time and the river has some very big bream in it. Wiley old buggers though some of them... but again, I was young and stupid when I chased them last time. These days I understand the stealth factor. Lobbing up with your mate and a dozen beers doesn't always constitute the best fishing practice regardless of how good a time you had hahaha. We were always very careful though and respected nature. None of the beer bottles you may find there ever belonged to us. Having lived in England through the 70's and 80's you get an appreciation of what litter can do to a place, and have so much more respect for the beauty that is KI. Anyway... I digress.Have a ball. Silly me... of course you will.Gaff

hi, i,ve fished a lot of the island and there are plenty of fishing options for you. one great tip i'll give you for vivonne bay jetty is to fish just before the dingy crane on the left hand side of the jetty. if you fish this spot you might be able to see salmon schools, which may be around. the salmon are very predictable off this jetty. they travel along the reefy shore line, they come within about three metres of the jetty and then do a big horse shoe shape around the jetty and travel along the reef on the other side. vivonne bay some times have massive mullet and sand whiting. happy fishin'lc