Port River System!?

Guest xtrafishyfish

Guest xtrafishyfish

Hey everyone, I've heard that the Port River will soon be practically cut off from the public. Snowdens Beach will be destroyed by the new Adelaide marina, wich should take around seven more months to complete. On from Snowdens you have nowhere to fish until you hit Pelican Point. Only good fishing there is for Eagle Rays. Birkenhead-Left of the Birkenhead Bridge: Construction currently being held there, completely closed off. I've got no idea what their doing to the place, I haven't seen any major changes. Infront of the Tavern: Bridge taking place at the moment to the left of the tavern, have no idea how long that's going to take. The bridge itself is off by one and a half meters, so when they do get the bridge fully complete alot of road work is going to need doing. When the bridge has been fully finished you wont be able to fish he left side of Birkenhead. Outer Harbour: To be shut down due to it sinking too far down into the oceans floor. Most of the fishing in the Port will be closed down.And not only that Semaphore is totally unfishable! I've done no fishing at all in the past few weeks besides going to the Coopers in Queensland!Can anyone shed any light on the Port River or would like to add anything it would be very helpful.Thanks, Nugget.

A lot of good observations there Nugget. You cant stop the motion of change. In 10 years time the Port River system will be full of fancy houses on the water with private jetties. There's nothing we can do to stop the power of money. Unfortunately we are powerless to stop this. We have to be posative and look to the future. You could make a couple of million in the next year and buy one of those fancy houses. Or you could get a car and boat in fish wherever you like. You could try St Kilda creeks or the mangroves. But if you could go anywhere you wanted on the water, would you stick around the stinky Port. There are so many awesome places to fish in SA

Guest Butters

i have found the cheapest way to get to all the spots you want in the port river is invest in a kayak... can paddle were ever you like..i picked mine up for 500 bucks and they chucked in all the safety stuff aswell..

Guest xtrafishyfish

Yeah, I think this is the motivation I need to fix the boat in the back yard. I currently wouldn't even put it in a pool let alone the Port river. Only good fishing you can really do in the Port, well the only thing worth doing in the Port in a boat is Mulloway fishing. I'd still prefer to do it landbased. Just have to wait a little longer and see what the out come of it all will be. Hopefully nothing too limiting! :evil:

Guest xtrafishyfish

Yes, it does. Actually I'm no less han eight meters away from one right now. It's my mate Richards. Just needs a coat of paint and than I'm going to christen it! I've been in the Port before in a kayak, it's not so fun when a tug goes past you. The waves might look small but they don't feel it. My main fear would be while I'm breaming that I end up in the drink, wreck "another" nice reel and "another" rod and loose around $100 in breaming items. I'd only take small quantities of tackle with me per trip for that obvious reason. It would be very hard to navigate bream up and around rocks seeing you haven't got much space. You're still alot higher than the fish. My biggest concern would be the tieing of leaders and knots to the Hard Bodied lure or Soft Plastic. That would take some serious practice. Nugget.

Guest xtrafishyfish

Yeah like I did before down Butlers Beach, little 2500 Caldia Kix spooled up with 4lb Daiwa Td Sensor on a 10'' Shimano Backbone. The Writing on the spool was spinning so fast it was just a pure black bar. Not good at all for the reel lol. Wish I could do some serious Salmon fishing though, get right into the good stuff and stop toying around with my little Black Bream.

I admit that bream take more skill than catching Salmon. But Salmon fishing is all about getting away from everyone and getting pure untouched sand in your toes. Walking onto a beach as the sun is coming up, with not one footprint on the beach. Catching a fish from a 100mt cast and watching jump in the surf while it darts from left to right in the swell. Taking 5 minutes to land and cracker and watching it wash up in the little waves as they lap onto the shore. Seeing a 4kg fish flapping on dry sand as you run towards it. Nothing beats it in my opinion.

Guest xtrafishyfish

Yes, Salmon fishing sounds alot more fun than catching Bream. Especially seeing all my Bream are caught in the Port river and the only sand you're standing on is covered in cement dust and oil, not to mention all the broken glass and litter you have to trudge through.I love beach fishing, from the Eagle Rays to the Salmon. I rarley get to go for Salmon. Wallaroo doesn't hold that much of them, I'm arranging a trip for Browns Beach soon with my mate. That's all that we shall be doing. I don't care if we don't catch anything, it's good to just get up and not hear trucks wizzing past.

Guest xtrafishyfish

Lol yeah, but I was only playing around with the little spinning reel, giving it a big task to do, especially when you've only gt 90m of 4lb line and a 2m 6lb leader. It's nothing I'd seriously consider doing again, I've learnt my leason, good size salmon+ small reel= getting spooled.Just a little bit of fun, catching the Yellow Eyed Mullet was alot more fun I rekon.

Guest xtrafishyfish

Haha yes, but bragging to other Breamers and comparing catches and what not against each other is always fun, little bit of friendly competition. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

I agree viddy. It will attract and hold bigger fish and it doesn't take long either. The marina at Tumby Bay has big Mullies in it already and it hasn't been there long at all. Good that you can see the posative in the new development. There will be some killer boats hanging around in the marine too. Maybe we could be personal boat drivers for the rich folk.

Guest xtrafishyfish

That's what I was thinking, first thing that passed through my small pea brain. But I've been told by alot of people you wont be allowed to fish in there. Wich is pretty bad seeing as I live 20 seconds from it.

hey nugget, i fish port alot land based in a boat and in a kayak, i know people doing work in the port and i hear from the berk to the lake will be hard to fish once the units go up you will be able to walk along the rock wall but people that have bought units of the plans are already asking if they can have no fishing so i would get to a council meeting if you can and you should find out whats on the go. But you should realy look at the kayak, i do it and some of the fishing in creeks is fantastic. I recon there are bream that havent seen a lure ever, you also get good shelter from the sun and wind so fishing is usaly pleasent. i taken mine into places buy swimming behind it to get to place that you cant get to buy boat or buy foot and there is the big chance of a jewy as well.

• 2 years later...
fred wrote:

well said nugget. Your starting to get the true meaning of fishing. Fresh air, friends and not being at work. It's not about, secrets, records and egos

well said fred. sorry for the late reply, but I wasn't around then :laugh: afishyfish, you didn't tell us your bro xtr was on this forum :lol::lol: