DSLR or "Super Zoom"?

Well, I just sold my DSLR camera and bought one of the so called "Super zoom" models. (Panasonic FZ28). Some would say a step backwards and, if talking picture quality, I would agree. The thing that caused me to switch back was convenience.With the FZ28 I've got 27mm - 486mm (35mm equivalent) range without buggering around with lenses. Picture quality is not bad either, as long as there is plenty of light. DSLR's are still way ahead in terms of low light performance and picture quality, but these types of cameras have a lot going for them, and they are cheaper than DSLR's. Smaller and lighter, they make excellent cameras for fishing and camping and you don't have to worry about getting dust on the sensor. Pictures are good quality too.So, just a thought. Maybe one of these cameras would suit you, rather than pawning one of the kids to pay for a DSLR and half a dozen lenses.

• 8 months later...

I'm thinking of doing the same thing SMP.I bought a DSLR late last year, as the compact thing I was using took terrible pics.After carting the DSLR all over Vietnam I'm totally over it. Too bulky.I know bugger all about photography anyway, so the DSLR is wasted on me, should have bought a good quality compact.