hey everyone, last thursday i went into a tackle store looking for a wilson 4120 overhead rod. i purchased a wilson FSU 4120 which the man behind the counter said was for an overhead reel... but i got told today that it is a rod that suites a spinning reel. something to do with the eyes. i havnt used the rod yet. is it possible to get it converted and how much??

TK the difference between an overhead rod & that set up for a spinning reel is the position of the backbone or spine of the rod. EVERY rod has at least one spine, some have many but ONE is ALWAYS dominant over the others. This spine is, well should be, at the top of the rod when it is fully loaded. In the case of it being built to accommodate an over head reel. The guides will be placed on top of this spine & depending on the size of the intended reel will be of a smaller diameter to that of a spinning reel set up. There may also be be more of them so as to stop the line touching or worse crossing the loaded blank / rod.In a spinning reel set up, there are generally less guides, their diameter is generally higher to accomodate the wider spool of a spinning reel, and they are placed beneath the spine. I would also use higher mounted frames for this style of rodIf the guides are not placed along the spine of the rod, it will want to twist when loaded. I dont know for sure, but they tell me u can find almost anything on u tube so I would assume that somewhere there, there is a video that shows what the blank does when its loaded up without the back bone being in the correct position.