pulling the pick

heres an idea my dad used (rip dad)with the 5.02 streaker dad had, and such a keen and by FAR the best fisherman ive ever seen,dad spent a lot of time on the water.....forget climbing through the cuddy cab and out of a little tiny hole to pull up the anchor.....screw that.... dad tied a line from the back of the boat,to a ring that went around the anchor rope..... when it was time to move,start motor,put in gear,and motor next to the anchor rope....pull the rear rope,and the anchor rope followed...the anchor was then pulled in from the side , and placed in the rear....no more struggling to pull the boat in a head wind in choppy seas getting soaked.....also far easier to throw into the water also....and we all know how the tide and wind sometimes dont play together,and your off the spot so need to pull the pick again...sometimes a few times to set it right.he fitted a piece of 5 inch plastic tubing to the rear in a vertical postion....the ancher sits in there upside down to stop it from banging around the place. im guessing a few will know what i mean and will try it ...believe me....its a lot more friendly on the back and arms as well.....no more funny angles...you pull with your whole body.

Yea! I've used that system myself in the past, it's also handy if you want hang a bit more beam to current or wind to open up the leeward beam to enable more room to fish if you're a bit crowded fishing out the back, just pull up on the running bridle until the stern comes around to where you want it and tie off on the stern quartercheers, Spog

Normally when you use this system, you're fishing within an area that has consistent depths & conditions you only have to tie off at the first anchoring and then leave it tied off, I used to keep a fish tub behind the helm station & just coil the rope into it then flip the rope up so it sits on the bow coaming pull it tight & tie it off on a gunwhale rail or canopy upright to keep it there while under way, then she's all ready to just drop over the side & circle hard once it's close to bottom so the the anchors set in the right direction, if you fish alone for whiting on anchor & are constantly shifting to find them this system is a real effort saver.cheers, Spog

Just one question ...Don't you still need to get up the front to tie the anchor off on the cleat?Sounds like a great idea though!

as spog said....the anchor is tied off at the front....when you pull the anchor,you pull the rope into the side of the boat,...picture the anchor rope going from the front.....with ANOTHER short rope that goes from the stern,to the bow anchor rope.....has a rubber ring around it...when you pull it it drags in the anhor rope until you can reach it....then just pull in from side and the anchor comes into the boat,...hang on...i will race out and get a pic or 2.....OK....BIT HARD WITH THE COVER ON TO SEE,BUT I THINK YOU WILL GET THE IDEA....FIRST PIC IS THE ANCHOR TIED OFF AT THE FRONT,BUT IT RUNS TO THE STERN AS WELL...Posted ImageSECOND PIC IS THE RUBBER RING RUNNING ON THE ANCHOR ROPE....THE LINE WE PULL IS THE SMALL GREEN.....DOESNT HAVE TO BE BIG ROPE AS YOU DRIVE THE BOAT NEXT TO IT...ITS ONLY USED TO PULL THE ANCHOR ROPE TO REACHING DISTANCE....THE WHITE ROPE IS THE ANCHOR ROPE THATS TIED OFF AT THE FRONT.Posted ImageTHIRD PIC IS WHERE WE STOW THE ANCHOR OFF THE FLOOR WHEN TRAVELING....WHEN WE HEADING IN THE ANCHOR ROPE IS STASHED NEATLY IN THE SIDE POCKETS,BUT FOR JUST SHIFTING ITS FINE ON THE FLOOR....Posted ImageAS SPOG SAID......HUGE BACK SAVER...ABOUT THE ONLY TIME WE HAVE TO GO IN THE CABIN AND OUT THE HOLE IS TO SHORTEN OR LENGTHEN THE ROPE DEPENDING ON DEPTH....NOT MUCH OF A PROBLEM IN WHYALLA AS WE PRETTY FLAT....

Thanks for the great pics Rocknev! I figured that may have been the case. I can remember a certain Point Turton session where my mate had to pull the anchor through the cabin with 1-2m seas threatening to break into the boat. This system would have left the pants a lot cleaner :)

oh hell yeah.....been out in some big seas(whyalla snaooer contest a few years ago if any can remember) you get very small amouts on water this way...and with a bit of practice and 2 on board,skipper can start and drive next to anchor,crew gives a tug,and skipper can just keep putting forward until the pick is on board.