Onkaparinga River Mullet Query

Hi AllThis query is directed towards anyone who has intimate knowledge of mullet or the Onkaparinga River or (preferably) both.Yesterday afternoon I was flicking some HBs around from the SLSC footbridge to fill in a bit of time. I was amazed at the number of mullet hanging around – even non-fisho passers-by were commenting. There were schools and schools and schools of them – predominantly all legal size and above, with a few real thumpers (I estimate 40cm +). Is it possible that this is an annual spawning run, or is there perhaps another explanation?I look forward to any responses which may throw some light on the matter.Regardless, I’ll be heading back down there this afternoon – this time with some “proper” mullet gear – and give them a try if they’re still hanging about!Cheersaf

• 3 weeks later...

I'm intrigued in regards to wether any of these fish were hook or indeed landed? The annual run of "grey" mullet (jumping mullet) is coming to an end... A fish that I have fished and followed all of my(& my family have fished for generations) fishing life. We fished some beauties from the river this year (although not fished as regulary as would be desired) and witnessed some crackers to 4 kilo (can grow to 8kilo) spawning within the river. If there is concern in regards to this fishery... I and family would be the first to notice. Everything is just fine and dandy though. We are very happy with the decline of interest when it comes to targeting this awesome fish species :boot:;)