Firming up bait

Another curly one or "maybe not" !!I have been told that with some bait like pilchards,silver fish etcdefrost the bait and than put salt on it to make it firmer so it stays on the hook longer.My question is How much salt does one put on the bait ?a teaspoon? a desert spoon ? a hand full ?Would appreciate your comments.

Pecados, in my experience you need to apply the salt liberally. That is u need lots.Course or rock salt used to work best for me. I would place some sheets of news or butchers paper down, then cover this with a layer of salt, then place the pillies over that base. U dont have to be too pedantic about how you lay them, but try to do so so that the next layer of salt covers / reaches all of the pillies. The salt draws the moisture out of the pillies making them tougher. The longer you leave them and the more salt used the more moisture drawn from them. I havent done it for ages, 20+ years I reckon so I'm guessing about time, but I thnk a couple of days was about right. May have only been overnight. I'm old and senile.Obviously, silverfish, whitebait or froggies would reguire less salt and perhaps less time.Make sure you do this in an area free from flies, pets, and excesive heat otherwise you may find it was all for nothing

• 4 weeks later...

As Conta Kinta said "That is u need lots". I use a plastic container with water softener salt liberally thrown over the bait where it will turn into a slurry. I use this method when I go away for a week or more and when I know I'm not going to have any refrigeration or ice. I've left them in the brime for over a week without any loss of quality. The salt preserves it as well. Cockles turn into little leather patches but they still work.CheersJim

• 2 weeks later...

HiThe cheapest way to preserve Pilchards is, if you live near Port Adelaide go to fisherman's market on Sundays and buy Pilchards there or get a them from tackle shop.Get yourself a bag of Pool salt about $6 for 20 kilos plus a (free) broccoli box you know the large foam ones.Cut a small hole near the base on one end.Then put in a layer of pilchards and thick layer of pool salt so it looks like bait is covered with snow.do this with as many pilchards as you want, layer upon layer.Then put lid on and tilt box so juice can drain after a couple of days,store box in a cool place so pets cant eat it! keep juice as its great burley oil, mix it in with tuna oil etc.i usually salt mine for about 5 days they don't stink and work great at salt creek. Good Luck