How to strip a rod back to a blank?

I've got an old surf rod That I was looking at this afternoon. It is set up for an alvey at the moment but I only use My alvey mulloway fishing or fishing off cliff tops and I have another better/heavier actioned rod that. I wanna strip it down and make a rod suitable for an overhead for salmon. I need to put a few more eyelets in and move the rod mount up the blank. Is this possible? I now there will be people out there that will say it is a waste of time/money/effort but to them I say phooey. Is there something you can use to dissvolve the resin without damaging the glass?

naaa go nuts and hack it up..i do heaps or rebuilds and resortations liek that all the time...sharp razor blade willslice hroughthe old bindings (on and angle not stright into the blank.eva or cork grip scan be sliced of carfuly with a serated knife and finished with the blade, seat is a litle tricklier..i use my dremmel with a cut of wheel and slice length ways top and bottom and jimmy it carfully off with a screwdriver then blade the glue and tape off...takes a bit of playing around but worth it...finish off with 600 then 800 then 1200 wet and dry for a while, keeping the blank wet so as not to gum up the paper and good as gold, new blank. then treat it as a new build from scratch !

I know how to do the eyelets and bindings (I've done that before). Thanks for the info on the reel seat. Now all thats left is the wooden butt. How should I go about this? Thought about maybe doing it the same way as you mentioned the reel seat But it is a pretty old blank so don't wanna damage the blank. Is there any other way to remove wooden grips?

is the blank inserted into a wood section of some sort ? being a surf rod it will sometimes have some sort sand spike inserted into the butt of the blank. if its the latter simply cut the sand spike off flush with the base of the blank and fitt a larger butt cap over the top. you can cut it and dril it out but leaving a section still there will help re enfoce the buttom of the blank and you wont risk damaging it when trying to get it out either...

ok so im assuming that it has a short rear grip made up out of a wood sleeve ? and this is what you want to remove ? n that case..yes tricky...id still use the dremel but just do a series of lateral cuts along the grip say 1.5 - 2cms apart and pop it of in smaller sections, that shoudl keep the stress to the blank wall to a minimum. if you going to then fit an sand spike that will the re enfoce the butt, so if you make a mistake and do any damange to the blank i wouldnt worry about it.

Well its all done now and it was suprisingly easy. I dont think very good glue was used. I even manged to get the rod seat off without damaging it. I've started sanding it back but then I got hungry and here I am. I'm sure once I've sanded it back and its ready to start putting back together I will have some more questions. Thanks for your help! Karma point for you.