Old or New, Lures vs Techniques.

Ok I'll throw something up for shits and giggles! I found an old tackle carry case the other day from many years ago full of all of my favourite hard bodied lures i used from way back when. All the hooks were pretty much rusted off and need replacing but the bodies were still in good condition. Anyway, I used the swimming pool to see just how well they swam compared to some new model types I have from recent times and was shocked at just how well these lures, mainly Abu Killer types ( two piece ones) and the mighty Rapala Magnums, ( my all time favourites) swam. I love the old style lures and they just seem to swim as good, if not better than my new style yozuri lures. My old lures consistently slammed Salmon and Snook reliably. So I was wondering if the new techniques of lure fishing is more valuable than the new lures and colours themselves? Maybe a stupid question but after seeing the old lures swimming across my pool, it's hard to think there is anything more life like. Mick.

The old Bellbrooks (from the '60s) with a pressed stainless steel bib probably swim as well as most lures on the market today. Some of the colours don't change much either - even back then, a "go-to" combination was the old white body with a red head, which still seems to be very much in abundance today. I think "techniques" are merely variations on a theme. Most fishos in years gone past would probably have experimented with different retrieve rates, stop/start, swim/sink, etc. and observed what worked best at the time.af