Live bait help....

Ok so I have done a bit of a search on this and read through what people have had to say about live baiting and the different techniques used.I reckon I'm doing it wrong!!! The only time I've had a live bait stay alive is when I've put the hook through its lip and then again I have had a couple somehow swim off when they've been hooked like this - but at least they were alive.It seems everytime I try and hook one through the back I kill it either straight away or it dies within 30 mins of being in the water! I don't know whether I'm going too deep with the hook, too shallow or in the wrong spot on the fish altogether.....I have tried using a single hook and 2 snelled hooks on running rigs, size 4/0, small sinker.....primarily I will be using this in West Lakes and the Onka but have plans to go through to Outer Harbour and the Port. Can anyone help me out with this as I would like to learn how to keep a live bait alive so I have the best chance of actually catching something!!!!