Fishing review - need for change

Other interesting figures quoted: about 3.4m people fish recreationally each year; there are about 90,000 jobs in the tackle and bait and rec boating industries, which turn over about $170m and $300m respectively each year; ARFF contends rec fishing-related total expenditure is about $10bn annually.

Imagine what rec fishing could be like for our economy if we were well supported right across the country? I sometimes think a national rec fishing scheme is the only way forward for SA. State level politics towards supporting SA rec fishing needs a kick up the backside.http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/fisheries-review-highlights-need-for-change

Yes one can only imagine, the impossible dream !SA is a basket case when it comes to angling, just how many Ministers ( most have been "B" grade), has there been in the last 15 years and how many Fishery Directors in the last ten ? Unless anglers get on their bikes, it will be more of the same for another 15 years.It puzzles me that anglers do not grasp the fact that the fishery department in SA exists purely to manage the commercial sector, has always been that way and unless there is a monumental broom put through government, it will always be the same.You will have to trust me on this ( just look back on history), despite its economic return angling is an inconvenient add on and because they don't have a licence authority, anglers don't have the power to sue the department like the commercial sector often do.There is a host of evidence to back this up over the years, but trust me on this... SA is a basket case compared to other states and even countries, I have studied a lot of them in the UK and Europe.IF you want change, just remember " Nice guys finish last ".