Port River Mangrove Bream

• 4 weeks later...

A kayak can get you into all the little nooks and crannies of those tidal creeks, a good thing. For bream I use 4lb fluorocarbon leader either tied straight to a size 2-2/0 hook depending on bait size, or a lure such as a plastic, vibe or hardbody. I favour baits like prawns and fresh bloodworms but don't discount gents either. In regards to lures, mixing up retrieves is a good idea. Can be slow rolled, slow and twitched, fast burn, etc. lots of variety until you find success. The bigger bream are not big because they're silly; they're very wise so it pays to make sure everything looks natural to tempt them.

Yeah mate, natural colours and styles are a positive but don't discount a few 'out there' lures. For soft plastics I prefer squidgy lobbies, wrigglers, Zman grubs; as I've had success on them previously. There are plenty of other plastics that work. For hardbodies I use the high end lures such as Bassday, DUO, Luckycraft, Ecogear, etc.