Silverfish and other imported bait

Hi all,I received an email this morning from somebody else in the industry about Chinese silverfish and other baits purchased from fresh fish outlets and a discussion on this on another fishing website. I would reply there with my thoughts, however I am banned along with many others.... (wont go into it here ;)) You may have noticed that your local tackleshop no longer has silverfish in stock or is getting low. This is because the local Bait Suppliers are no longer supporting this because it is imported into Australia as a food source, not as a fishing bait. Fish that is purchased from your fish munger is not treated and is not certified for use in our waters. Only a few weeks ago, I was shown in a tacklestore the Small print on the bottom of a bag that contained prawns which read 'Not to be used as fishing bait'When the 'Imported Cockles' were introduced last year, they were actually removed from sale in the tackle outlets until they were treated here in Australia. They were approved for food only in the first instance.Not only this but what is wrong with purchasing, legal bait from your local tacklestore. They can't sell their bait to people to eat and only rely on the recreational fisherman. What will happen the next time you need something to find that they are no longer there?Does anyone remember what happened with the massive pilchard die off a few years ago????? There were many rumors on why this happened but nobody was willing to tell the truth. Would hate to see this happen to Tommies, Gar ,Salmon etc.... especially now that fishing is improving!It is a scary thought on what diseases and other nasties that these products may bring into our country and inhabit out waterways. I guess nobody really knows on what the outcome will be and if there will be any fish for generations to come.....

I received an email this morning from somebody else in the industry about Chinese silverfish and other baits purchased from fresh fish outlets

I don't care about discussions elsewhere, or what the bait stores currently have in stock, but as far as I'm concerned, purchasing "imported" food stocks then using them as bait is a big issue, and one which I'd be reporting to Aqis (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) and Customs immediately!Remember the recent cockle debacle interstate, where Chinese cockles were being imported as a food source, but then being redirected to be used as bait after their arrival here? Customs were onto it in a flash, confiscating the stocks and taking legal action against these unscrupulous traders. This is illegal and dangerous to our own native stocks!Imported animal products contain viruses and bacterium which our native stocks are not exposed to, and anything which is intended for use here must be treated accordingly to ensure any threat to our native life is eradicated!Food and Bait are both treated differently, and require different importation documents and different treatment upon arriving at our shores!Be very careful about this one! If you buy seafood from the fish monger which you intend to use as bait, ensure that it is an Australian product only, and not imported from overseas.If you want to buy imported products as bait, then ONLY buy them from your tacklestore, as you'll then know that they have been imported correctly, with the correct documentation and the correct treatment to protect our wildlife!Don't take my word on this one though, or think that Ranger is making a mountain out of a molehill, but instead telephone Aqis yourself. They have an office next to the Adelaide Airport which can direct your call to the relevant department!