Mully live bait rig?

Hay fellas,I was just wondering how u rig your lives for mullys as i seem to be having a bit of trouble hooking them at the moment! Ive had about four runs in the last couple of weeks all resulting in pulled hooks .hissy. So just wanted to no how many hooks you use and how u rig your lives. I am currently using a float rig with one hook through the back of the live bait.Any info would be good, Cheers Luke

lol geez its gotta hurt when u pull the hooks on that many fish :'(, i use to rig them with a unweightted two hook rig with one hook just behind the fishes head and one in the tail but from now on after talking to a few people im gonna start bridle rigging them instead ;)Thats my two cents anywayTight Lines TD :fishing:

On a float rig i'd have one through the shoulder and the other swinging free.Also strike hard and early,when i used to fish the port a bit i have dropped a few where i reckon they were just holding the bait in their mouths and it was'nt so much the hooks pulling rather than they just spat it out because i didn't hit them hard enough and remember you often aren't in direct connection with your bait on a float rig. cheers brenton

Luke2x 7 or 8/0 circles work for me using live slimies in deep water. if theyre really kicking i put top hook in tail end & bottom hook around shoulder area up top near fin, carefull not to stop fish from swimming. i use running sinker & let the fish swim down, sometimes gets slammed on the way down by snapper. if you let them drop to quick they tangle. i also rig them the other way round with top hook up through nose of fish & the other where it fits in back, better when fish aren't as live(been in bucket too long).both ways have yielded mullies & snapper.don't strike hard when using circle hooks, load up a bit slower & let the hook do it's job(sometimes better no holding the rod)good luckBigAshps. i don't always use circles but i would give them a try in your case.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest matty_G

I use one hook in the shoulder & one in tailfin & fish unweighted if fishin from land,from the boat i use two hooks and put the bottom hook in the shouder and use the top hook as the stinger,recently ive started bridle rigging,from boat i use ball sinker,hope this helps ya luke ;)